My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

BBC Tonight Panorama: Fighting for an Education

3 replies
OP posts:
busybreeze · 07/09/2020 22:33

Quite depressing to watch. Our LAs are just absolutely swamped with SEN children and absolutely not enough infrastructure or services to help them. Its so sad. I feel that in our school, if behaviour isnt a real problem then they never get looked after. My boy sits in class where everything just goes over his head, he is miles behind his peers, unable to understand anything in the year 3 curriculum because he hasnt even met some of the early years goals, cant write, has dcd, auditory and visual processing and sequencing issues and all he gets is a pencil grip and writing slope and a SEN passport with nothingness targets. He doesnt get into trouble for not getting much on paper because they know he has problems, but the teacher knows he cant complete any work unless she sits with him the whole time and she cant do that. Seriously considering homeschool now.

Ellie56 · 08/09/2020 22:04

@busybreeze your boy deserves better than that.

Have you thought about asking for an EHCN assessment? Information here:

www.ipsea.org.uk/ehc-needs-assessments

KisstheTeapot14 · 15/09/2020 11:23

@busybreeze. We have a 10 year old with very similar issues.

We applied for an EHCP and got it. Took a year.

Please PM me if you want to know what kinds of provisions we have now (Y6).

Its not easy but it does help - now and in the future when you are looking at secondary.

Hope this helps.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.