My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

For Jimjams...

16 replies

eidsvold · 08/10/2004 10:08

just wondering how it is all going with the pregnancy?? How long to go now???

OP posts:
Jimjams · 08/10/2004 16:13

Too long eidsvold- I'm huge- all bump and people I hardly know keep saying "ohh you must be due very soon"Still got another 3 months to go! I'm not good when pregnant- and this pregnancy I'm particularly bad Also this is my first pregnancy since knowing the extent of ds1's problems so I'm a bit kind of concerned (then feel guilty for worrying as there was that crappy- '"worrying during pregnacy causes autism" research!) I'll be happier when October is over- dh has a couple of weekends away and I have the inlaws here for a week (oh hell- better hope stress doesn't cause autism)!

Moan moan moan!! How are you getting on? When are you due- before me I think?? At least I don't have an Oz summer to sweat my way through

marthamoo · 08/10/2004 16:59

Not what you want to hear, jimjams - but 3 months? That's gone fast

I hope your dh is going to pamper you big time for abandoning you and inflicting his parents on you (a WEEK ?)

Hope this last bit goes quickly and is problem-free - I don't take well to being an incubator either, much sympathy.

hmb · 08/10/2004 17:08

Hope that the visit is as stress free as possible. Could you buy a big bottle of Ibuprofen for your MIL and wrap it up for her as a gift, just to head off those headaches before they start???

dinosaur · 08/10/2004 17:15

Jimjams if it's any consolation I had a blissful stress-free pregnancy with DS1 and a horrible completely stressed-out pregnancy with DS2! Good luck for the outlaws' visit...You can be really rude and blame it on pregnancy hormones

Socci · 08/10/2004 17:19

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Socci · 08/10/2004 17:19

Message withdrawn

Davros · 08/10/2004 18:45

There is quite a high chance Socci , can't remember the exact numbers but something like 1 in 10 if you've already got one, that is that a sibling could have ASD or something related (which could be quite minor) or nothing at all of course.

Jimjams · 08/10/2004 19:03

Ah I know the numbers - it's one in 10 ish if you have TWO, lower if you have only one - but considerably higher than Joe Public. Obviously higher if you have a boy as well! Risk of speech and/or language problem is about 25% though (borne out by ds2 I'd say although his speech is not causing worries anymore- honestly always getting comments about his speech and language now).

In our case there's obviously a tendency- however we do think that all the autoimmunity stuff in the family (and from seeing ds1 and what happened to him) suggests that he was pushed further into autism. We tink he had a series of hits- a natural illness, antibiotics (too many), vax (thimerosil). We took the approach of doing the least possible with ds2- he did need antibiotics at 6 weeks old though (and I cried over that one but then stuffed him full of probiotics as well). We'll do the same with this one.

Jimjams · 08/10/2004 19:22

ROFL hmb- I'd better stock up actually all we have in the house is calpol!

Dinosaur- my pregnancy with ds1 was pretty relaxed as well- far more relaxed than my one with ds2 when we were starting the dx procedure! Someon told me that it was the 20th week that was important- And what did we do this time round on the 20th week- went to the in-laws aaaaggghhhh!

Socci · 08/10/2004 19:43

Message withdrawn

MistressMary · 08/10/2004 19:47

Do they damage the natural immunity?
As like with adults they don't dish antibiotics out for colds anymore. {Antibiotics are useless on viruses} Although I don't think the Docs always follow this rule.

Jimjams · 08/10/2004 20:01

DS1 has a leaky gut- has very odd bacteria in there- so I doubt that antibiotics helped. However antibiotics are lifesavers! DS1 had too many though. Ironically the ones that probably did him the most damage were also the ones he had the greatest need for so I guess it was just one of those things. I tend to think that if you have a fmily history riddled with autoimmunity you;re best off avoiding anything unless you think it absolutely necessary.
Hopefully we'll avoid everything with this next one (third time lucky!) but another problem like ds2's I wouldn;t really count as a problem to me iyswim and that's more likely statistically than another ASD, just trying to think positively!

Jimjams · 08/10/2004 20:02

The ones he had the most need for were unlicensed for a child of his age- and the pharmacist was very wary about him having them- they were consultant prescribed though.....

eidsvold · 09/10/2004 05:02

four weeks and counting - all bump like you - last time I carried dd low and across until towards the end so just looked round but now I have a huge bump out the front. dd was also just 6lb born so I think this one is bigger.... Had a mum at playgroup tell me I look bigger everytime she sees me ( every week - great - make me feel good!)

bloody hot here - was 36 degrees yesterday and we are nowhere near summer - Hottest months late Dec, Jan and early Feb!!!!! But at least no2 will be here by then. We are lucky - downstairs - basically one big room is very cool and bought dd a big wading pool - right size for wallowing pregnant women... am trying it out later.....

Well I can understand the worry though - as you know we have an increased risk of another child with ds without them finding the spot of calcification in the heart at 20 wk scan which increased the odds.

Fighting consultant/registrar to let me have a VBAC quickly coming to the conclusion it probably aint going to happen if they have anything to do with it - means no therapy for dd for 6 weeks and no sn playgroup if that is the case - won;t be able to carry her - if I have a caesar that is.

Being sent for another scan next week to check fetal growth and might ask them to check the sex - babe did not show this last time - might be lucky this time.

Finally agreed on names.

Just need to paint the baby's room - not that they will really be in there for months though. But want it done so I can put up furniture and get it organised.... don't want to come home after having babe to do that.

However - unlike you I don't have the in-laws to deal with. So other than that - all is well in the eidsvold household - except for dh starting a new job around the time the babe is due - but hey we've dealth with more stressful times .....

OP posts:
Jimjams · 09/10/2004 10:32

Four weeks- wow! I have to have a section as well Not looking forward to that I have to say (2 previous sections). Just hoping to persuade them to do it between xmas and NY- post 39 weeks- ds2 didn't enjoy being born at 38 weeks- he wasn't cooked!

eidsvold · 09/10/2004 11:19

jimjams - I am still fighting for the vbac - midwife and gp think as long as the reason for dd's caesar are not present....I can have a vbac and are very supportive - will know more on Tuesday after scan and another appt with consultant. tempted not to go to hospital until too late for caesar iykwim.

hopefully they will listen and let you have the caesar then - could not imagine dealing with christmas and caesar recovery - think I would rather the babe still in the belly...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.