Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

School refusal - options going forward?

Blossom4538 · 13/09/2018 10:34

Dd has v recent diagnosis High Functioning Autism and now struggling to cope with school.

Just looking at options, 1-1, reduced timetable, Home ed? What are the options and what works for you?

Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Marshmallow09er · 13/09/2018 11:01

I think it really depends on the individual child Blossom.

That's why in your case an EHCP assessment feels the right step so that your DD's needs are full assessed and from that what support / placement she needs will come out (in reality I expect they will try and say mainstream to save on cost).

In our case, with DS (very PDA-y) mainstream with full time 1:1 and a reduced timetable still didn't work. He's now just stated SS.

But there are other autistic children who were in the school that were doing ok with 1:1, or small groups or support just at key times.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend a reduced timetable because once you do it with an anxious child it's very hard to then go back up to full time.

However, I know some parents do do flexi schooling if they school agrees.

This is a tricky time of year always for autistic children with lots of change when they start a new class.

I think you and school need to try and reduce your DD's anxiety right now (eg - could she start 15 mins later / go in the main entrance / do a special task like water flowers with the caretaker when she first arrives / play with bubbles first thing? These are all things my DS did at mainstream that did help a bit with his morning anxiety)

Please
or

Blossom4538 · 13/09/2018 12:06

Thanks so much. I’ve just spoken to the SenCo, and made some arrangements just like your suggestions 🤞🏼

What does flexi schooling entail?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Marshmallow09er · 13/09/2018 12:53

Here you go:

www.home-education.org.uk/articles/article-flexi-schooling.pdf

But as I say, consider it carefully. Whilst it might make things easier short term, long term it might mean the school have less incentive to put the support structures in place your DD needs.

Plus as a parent it's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and almost not the best of both worlds (eg DS missed out on stuff at school, but we also missed out on stuff in the home ed world too).

We used his time to access activities like swimming and climbing when they are were quiet.

But my aim was to have him back into full time education (so I could work a bit again).

Please
or

Blossom4538 · 13/09/2018 15:44

Thank you 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tinklebell2008 · 23/11/2018 20:11

Hi there, I have a friend who has a 8 year old child with ASD. They have recently moved to Milton Keynes. Unfortunately, the schools there are not accepting(indirectly) her child. They said either no vacancy or has no provision for special needs children. Now, the child is stuck at home for 3 months and is not receiving any support for his ASD. My friend has been to the council and they kept saying they're trying to liaise with the schools headteacher.
Desperately needed advise please.

Please
or

choclate999 · 10/05/2022 23:50

Tinklebell2008 · 23/11/2018 20:11

Hi there, I have a friend who has a 8 year old child with ASD. They have recently moved to Milton Keynes. Unfortunately, the schools there are not accepting(indirectly) her child. They said either no vacancy or has no provision for special needs children. Now, the child is stuck at home for 3 months and is not receiving any support for his ASD. My friend has been to the council and they kept saying they're trying to liaise with the schools headteacher.
Desperately needed advise please.

Hi Tinklebell2008,
I would like to know the school name of your son. (Please if you don't mind)
My son has EHCP and planning to move to MK. Looking for school options.
Thanks in advance

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.