My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

NEW HERE! NEED HELP ABOUT DOWNS SYNDROME

20 replies

Dingle · 03/08/2004 19:44

HELP, I'M NEW TO ALL THIS!
I HAVE A LITTLE GIRL OF 2YRS 9MNTHS WITH DS.NEED ADVICE ON ALL SORTS OF MATTERS - NEARLY ALL THE FAMILIES I'VE MET VIA DSA SO FAR HAVE BABIES. IT WOULD BE LOVELY TO CHAT TO SOMEONE WHO IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THINGS AS I AM NOW, OR HAS BEEN THERE AND COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE!

OP posts:
Blu · 03/08/2004 19:48

Dingle, hello and welcome to Mumsnet. I'm not myself the Mum of a DS child, but those who are (and there are a good few) will be round to say hello very soon, I'm sure.

Janh · 03/08/2004 19:48

Dingle, you need Thomcat and eidsvold (both have daughters with DS, not sure of exact ages but TC's is around 2) who will probably both be along shortly. Meanwhile try doing a search on their names!

Piffleoffagus · 03/08/2004 19:50

Welcome Dingle, I agree that TC and Eidsvold are who you will hear from, Eids is in Australia so might be on a different time loop.
Take care, someone in the know will greet you shortly
xx

miffymiffy · 03/08/2004 19:53

Related to this subject, I have a question - how do you explain to a 2 yr old that a new friend of his is 'allowed' to behave badly (eg, hitting) because that child has Downs? They will be in the same class in Sept, and I hope they will continue to be friends.

miffymiffy · 03/08/2004 19:54

4 year old, obviously - how time flies!

katierocket · 03/08/2004 19:54

hello dingle - have you looked under 'topics' and 'special needs' you'll find loads of useful stuff there but agree with Janh that you need thomcat and eidsvold.
welcome to mumsnet

coppertop · 03/08/2004 20:15

Welcome to Mumsnet. Just bumping this up so that TC or Eidsvold will see it. Have you been in touch with the DSA?

luckymum · 03/08/2004 20:25

Hi Dingle, welcome, you'll find loads of help here.

BlossomHill · 03/08/2004 20:29

miffy/miffy - I would start a new thread on that one!

geekgrrl · 03/08/2004 21:11

hiya dingle, my dd has DS and is 3yrs 4 months old. How are things with you and your dd? My little girl has been through a lot of health issues but apart from hearing loss she seems to have got a lot better in recent months. We're attempting potty training now with limited success (thank goodness for a carpet-free house! )

geekgrrl · 03/08/2004 21:23

oh, and there is a DS-UK mailing list which has been really helpful for me when dealing with all sorts of different issues. There's a good age variety on there, from babies to adults, and you always find someone who's dealt with the same problems. Please contact me through 'contact another talker' if you would like more details. Do you have other children, too? I also have a dd who has just turned 5 and an 8 months old ds.

eidsvold · 03/08/2004 23:36

Just logged on and saw this. Hiya Dingle - my dd is 2 years old and has Down syndrome. She was also born with a heart defect that has been repaired by surgery. As someone said we are in Australia but were in the UK until recently. If you want to contact me via email - [email protected] then you are more than welcome.

Not sure where you live but there is also a great support group that I was part of prior to leaving. Their info is:
here

Here is a little bit about us..
here

Anything you want to ask - can't say I will know the answers but can at least share experiences.

Dingle · 04/08/2004 00:12

Just before I go to bed with my head still spinning about another days achievements ( or lack of them) I just thought I would take a look & see if there was any response to my first message.
Thank you sooo much.
I can't believe that I have been a mum for nearly five years, and a mum to a SN dd for two & a half years- and I've only just found you.
I feel I will hopefully get to know you a bit better very soon.
Please bear with me- I am new to all this technology stuff!! I may need a bit of guidance now & then.
Thanks for all your replies and I will speak again very soon.

OP posts:
sinclair · 04/08/2004 13:11

Hi there Dingle and welcome to MN and the SN section in particular. My DD has DS, she is 5 in Sept and following five terms in the local nursery starts at the local primary one week before her fifth birthday! It feels as if she has achieved so much already, and I feel a little bit sad because the early years are coming to an end. Do come back to us with any questions, there is always someone on here who has a solution to the problem!

Thomcat · 04/08/2004 13:47

Dingle - sorry for taking so long to see this. Would be great to talk to you. My little rascal is 2 years and 7 and a half months! Where do you live?
Email me through Mumsnet and I can send yoiu pictures etc and we can get to know each other and chhat on Mumsnet about all sorts of things.

For now to fill you in we didn't know Lottie would have Ds, and she's a healthy happy cheeky monkey with a great, strong personality, loves cuddles, very socialable with most people, not walking we're just reapplying for DLA and help with getting around. She starts at a montessori pre-school in Sept. Her speech is pretty good, well not in comparision to her non SN peers but....and we live in Pinner in Middx.

Anyway, let's get chatting and email me as well and I can send you some more personal info that way.

Nice to have you on board! TC x

Thomcat · 04/08/2004 13:51

Oh by the way i'm 32, 33 on Saturday which is when i'm off to Tuscany, back in work after my parachute jump on the 17 August. I'll email you through mumsnet myself now.

Dingle · 04/08/2004 21:09

Back again- I do hope this won't get too addictive- I have so much else should be doing!!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome as such a newcomer. I have emailed a few of you and
hopefully sent my details through 'contact another talker'.
To the just of you lovely people- I'm sure I will be seeking your advice on all sorts of matters. I feel like shouting ....I feel like dancing...I feel like crying...but I am not alone!!!

OP posts:
Thomcat · 05/08/2004 09:58

Dingle - I'm afraid Mumsnet is massively addictive! But it's the best. I didn't realise that i needed support on SN matters until i found this site and it's been amazing.
I've sent you another email and hopefully we'll be able to meet one day, meanwhile enjoy mumsnet, it really is a great place.

Dingle · 14/08/2004 00:13

Been busy, doing nothing..or at least achieving nothing. Thought I would try to catch up with some of you lovely people out there!

Geekgrrl- i've email you. How's the potty training going. DD did her first wee on the potty the other day, was so impressed with herself she sat on the toilet and did a repeat performance for her daddy before getting in the bath. Hasn't wanted to know ever since but still!

Sinclair - I'd love to chat about your experiences of nursery. Did dd go to a special needs nursery as well or just the mainstream one you mentioned. How are you feeling about her schooling?

OP posts:
heartinthecountry · 14/08/2004 10:32

Hi dingle - I'm relatively new on mumsnet too. Thought I would just say hello. I've seen you post a few times and thought aha someone else who is becoming addicted!

I have one dd who is coming up for 2 who has a condition known as Aicardi Syndrome. In some ways her needs are similar to some children with DS i.e learning difficulties and hypotonia. I think one of the great things about mn is that you get to share info across such a range of different SN.

Anyway, enjoy chatting and I know you'll find support here .

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.