My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

First full day at school + recognition that I am not in denial

18 replies

Jimjams · 18/05/2004 13:35

First full day for ds1 today

I took ds2 into town to get some summer shoes and we went for a burger king (which he's never had before as its not the sort of thing we can dow ith ds1). Didn't eat his chicken nuggets but fed them to his toy tiger (still freaks me out when he does that sort of thing).

Also had a long chat with the autism outreach worker this morning and she said that she didn't believe for a moment that ds1 didn't want to communicate, but instead that he was deperate to communicate-and trys very hard to- he just can't, as he has no langauge and so he finds it very frustrating.

WOW!!!!! When I said EXACTLY that at his dx case conference 2 years ago I was accused, by the idoiot pre-school SALT of not being able to accept his autism diagnosis and of being in denial. And of kidding myself if I thought he was trying to communicate in any way at all, and oh ho ho ho silly mother thinks he is trying to talk.

grrrrrrr well at last they are beginning to notice!

OP posts:
Nutcracker · 18/05/2004 13:39

Oooh good, glad you are being listened too, you are his mother after all

Fio2 · 18/05/2004 13:52

Thats brilliant jimjamsSmile I wonder if some of these professionals ever stop and put themselves in our shoes before opening their patronising little mouths? Of course there are some nice encouraging health profs tooWink

Thomcat · 18/05/2004 14:01

Bless, let us know how he gets on. Hope you loves it and thrives there. He certainly stands a good chance of doing just that with the sort of teacher he seems to have. Great news. Glad you got to go to BK too!

Jimjams · 18/05/2004 14:02

yeah but usually you have to pay for those fio

Actually the autism outreach team have always been very good. They know their stuff. it's just nice when people working with your child see him the same way as you do independently iykwim.

The pre-school SALT was a right dodgy cow, so its nice that every other person who's been near him has disagreed with her (unfortunately those who haven't been near him (or me) have still heard that I am in denial and still seem to feel obliged to pass it on- so her opinion still does damage)

OP posts:
Jimjams · 18/05/2004 14:03

ahhh this isn't his teacher TC - she's a bit clueless really. His LSA is excellent though and autism outreach offer the school superb support (they are in 3 times a week).

OP posts:
Fio2 · 18/05/2004 14:05

hahahaha jimjamsGrin

I have had the opposite since we moved down here and people have been lovely. Her teacher even told me she thought I was being too hard on dd and making her out to be worse than she was, I had to laugh!

aloha · 18/05/2004 14:06

I remember when you posted that Jimjams. What a stupid woman she sounds. Very glad they are finally seeing the truth of the matter though. Hope it leads to a breakthrough of some sort.

Always lovely to hear about the progress of ds2 as well.

Thomcat · 18/05/2004 14:31

Oh damn, sorry JimJams, well lets hope your wonderful outreach worker has a very poisitive influence on his teacher then. I look forward to hearing lots of school success stories, keeping my fingers crossed for them

Jimjams · 18/05/2004 17:50

well he did fine very strange standing in a playground full of mums. DS2 was in shock he's used to it being empty. Back to 11.50 tomorrow, but then next week he has 2 full days and lunch every day

OP posts:
kalex · 18/05/2004 17:51

Jimjams, just like to add that I am soooo delighted for you

bundle · 18/05/2004 17:54

that's great news jimjams
(btw just to let you know that my friend contacted someone else about the piece on R4 I think they are speaking to a mum from s.london, it's due to be aired on 1 june at 9pm)

Jimjams · 18/05/2004 17:57

ahh well- I'll try and listen in. I shouldn't have moved from London

OP posts:
bundle · 18/05/2004 17:57

(I do try to feature people from outside the smoke in my progs )

Jimjams · 18/05/2004 18:20

ahh well - as long as its before xmas I'm always free.

OP posts:
bundle · 18/05/2004 18:23

I think the reporter who's doing it went to st george's in tooting and looked for a nearby family.

jmb1964 · 18/05/2004 23:06

Great new Jimjams - hope the playground full of other Mums isn't too scary (for you I mean )

Jimjams · 19/05/2004 03:59

Nah jmb- although I think ds1 streaking out dragging his LSA screaming (ds1 not the lsa that is) may have been scary for them I think someone had made him queue

OP posts:
Jimjams · 19/05/2004 04:00

actually it was a bit scary as someone asked me if I was pregnant (i'm not even 8 weeks fgs!)

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.