My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Charity Vouchers - NAS Email

0 replies

FLAMEinEckItsWiiDay · 08/12/2006 10:18

I have just copied and pasted from the email I recieved... hope that's ok

URGENT ? WE NEED YOUR HELP TODAY!

Do you have a child or relative with autism?
Have they been bullied at school?
Or do you simply just feel strongly that this problem MUST be addressed and NOW?
Then please read on?

School can be a scary place for children with autism, even more so when they become the target of bullying. Over 40 per cent of children with autism have been bullied at school and the impact on those children and their families can be devastating.

Many of the children and families we speak to report damage to self-esteem, mental health and progress at school. Some withdraw from school altogether, others never fully recover from their experiences.

To mark Anti-Bullying Week 2006 in England and Wales (20-24 November), which this year had the theme of ?bystanders? The National Autistic Society (NAS) has published a new report B is for bullied: experiences of children with autism and their families. It details the experiences of bullying, as told by children and their families.

We are calling on the Government and local authorities to reduce bullying by implementing the demands of our make school make sense education campaign and by ensuring that bullying on the grounds of disability is dealt with as seriously as bullying on any other grounds. This week we are giving evidence to the Education and Skills Select Committees inquiry into bullying.

?I was bullied in my school. It was hard. I was left out. They would not play with me. They chatted with each other but not to me. That made me feel sad because I wanted to be friends with them.?
Anna, 14

?My child is bullied. The school says it is his fault for being ?annoying?.?
Parent of a child with autism

Over half a million people in the UK have autism ? that?s 1 in 100 people. Which means around two million parents, carers and siblings are also affected by it. The NAS helped over 100, 000 people this year. We want to be able to reach out to everyone affected by autism. We provide expert advice and information, schools, adult services, support, training, diagnosis and much more.

An excellent way you can help the NAS to continue its work

This Christmas, Royal Bank of Scotland Group and the Daily Mail are giving 90 children?s charities the opportunity to each receive a £10,000 donation from a total fund of £1 million. The news gets even better because from the 90 winners a shortlist will be chosen by a team of judges, with readers then given the chance to vote by telephone to win a further amazing donation of £100,000. Should the NAS be successful, we will feature in the Daily Mail early in 2007.

What you need to do to help the NAS benefit from this opportunity

Simply collect FIVE differently dated £2,000 charity cheques published from 5 December until 10 December 2006.

Alternatively download a differently dated cheque each day by visiting www.dailymail.co.uk or send an SAE to PO Box 2006, Aldershot, Hants GU11 9WB to obtain two £2000 charity cheques.

Send your FIVE cheques with your name, address, daytime telephone number, the name of the NAS as your chosen charity, plus a few words (maximum 50) on why the NAS should receive the £100,000 prize, and how this will make a difference.
The closing date for entries is 15 December. You can submit as many entries as you wish but only one donation to your chosen charity will be awarded if they are a winner.

Please feel free to contact me [email protected] if you would like me to provide you with information about the work of the NAS, or if you require further details about this competition.

Please help us to help people with autism and their families TODAY. Thank you and Seasons Greetings from everyone at the NAS.

Jason Bowles

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.