My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Something Beautiful

18 replies

melbournemum · 17/11/2006 11:43

I just wanted to share this because it has warmed the hearts of our family and brought so much joy to us today.
My 18 year old nephew has Asperger's Syndrome which, for anyone unfamiliar, is in the same family of conditions as Autism. He is a beautiful young man loved unconditionally by his entire extended family but he does not have any friends and school has been a difficult time for him socially for his whole schooling life. To his credit and the credit of my sister and her husband, tonight he graduates from mainstream High School at his end of year School Formal. The lovely part of the story, beyond this wonderful achievement, is that the female school captain (head girl or prefect in UK terms I think) asked him to be her partner at the formal. They will have photos taken together, arrive in a limousine and for this one night, he will be part of everything, included, and have on his arm the most beautiful, popular girl at school. I got off the phone from him this afternoon in tears, he was so delighted and excited beyond measure. What a beautiful gesture from this womderful girl who could have chosen anyone, and she chose him. Nothing less than he deserves but not something he ever expected. It's made his year and what a wondeful note to end his school days on.
From a very very proud Aunty

OP posts:
Mitchell81 · 17/11/2006 11:49

Thank you for posting this message, it has brought tears to my eyes. It is good to know that there are good people out there. Hope your nephew has a fantastic time.

2Shoes · 17/11/2006 12:42

that is lovely made me well up.

Fattymumma · 17/11/2006 12:45

i too, am sat here with stinging eyes. that is lovely, i am so pleased for your nephew

coppertop · 17/11/2006 13:05

Another one here in tears. That's so lovely.

macwoozy · 17/11/2006 13:12

What a great finishing touch to his school years and what a lovely sensitive girl too, I hope he has a wonderful time.

AttilaTheMeerkat · 17/11/2006 14:55

I hope they both have a fabulous time.

lourobert · 17/11/2006 15:35

How lovely.......!!! How lucky this young lady is to have such an amazing date!!

dinosaur · 17/11/2006 16:47

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at the poster's request.

theheadlessgirl · 17/11/2006 17:42

that's so lovely.... I hope he has a wonderful evening xx

Christie · 17/11/2006 18:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twiglett · 17/11/2006 18:51

oh that brought tears to my eyes too ... your nephew sounds fabulous .. and the parents of the 'school captain' have done a great job too ..

Christie · 17/11/2006 19:01

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davros · 17/11/2006 19:31

How fantastic and what a special person this girl is to choose such a special person to partner at the formal.

eidsvold · 17/11/2006 20:56

that is fabulous.

TeeCee · 17/11/2006 22:33

How absolutley lovely
I'm so,so pleased for him.

sorrell · 18/11/2006 20:40

No wonder she's the most popular girl in the school. She sounds just lovely, as does your nephew.

melbournemum · 18/11/2006 22:14

Thank you everyone for your lovely messages.

It was a completely fantastic night, I've put a picture in member profiles.

He danced the night away, was the hit of the evening, went to the after party and (very tipsy indeed) phoned to be picked up with three other boys from his class, at 3am the next morning!

All in all, he truly had the night of his life.

xxxxxx

OP posts:
Jimjams2 · 19/11/2006 10:14

came to this via the photo. How lovely for him

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.