My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

SENCO assesment - what is involved, what does it mean?

3 replies

Bugsy2 · 15/11/2006 13:07

Wasn't sure where to put this, but DS's teacher has suggested a SENCO assesment. I agreed because I'm worried about DS, but I'm not really sure what is involved - anyone know more, or should I be asking in Education?

OP posts:
scoobyww · 15/11/2006 13:31

Hi Bugsy,

A SENCO is a Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator, who is usually a teacher in the school or qualified practitioner in an Early Years Setting. A SENCo will do some 'target child' observations on your child, which should highlight any areas of difficulty that your child may have.This may then lead on to an Individual Education Plan (IEP) being written, which is a plan that has small, achievable targets on it, designed to help your child make progress. Sometimes, the SENCo will request input from an outside professional, such as an Educational Psychologist, but you should be informed and involved throughout. Hope this helps!

Bugsy2 · 15/11/2006 13:40

Thanks Scooby, that's really helpful. I didn't get much time to chat to DS's teacher as it was during parents evening that she recommended the assesment.

OP posts:
scoobyww · 15/11/2006 13:57

No Problem Bugsy.

Good luck!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.