My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Year 6 school trips and sn kids

5 replies

sylvm · 09/10/2006 10:02

DD2 has just started Year 5 and we are already being asked to confirm she will be attending the Year 6 residential trip (September 2007). She is dyspraxic but her main problem I can foresee is that (1) she gets very tired after doing a physical activity and we have been told they are on the go all day and (2) that she will have no real space from the other children - her social skills are poor and she can get very volatile. She has also only stayed with grandparents before - never shared with other children other than big sister - and really needs her sleep. I have raised my concerns with the school and they have said that may be a spare member of staff could take her out of some activities. She has changed from not wanting to go to being really keen - having seen the presentation (sales pitch) at school.

I am really unsure that she would cope but am also aware that it would be a huge achievement if she did. I don't know if I am being an over protective Mum here - but the school don't see her at home sometimes.

Has anyone else come up against this and what did you do?

OP posts:
KarenThirl · 09/10/2006 10:12

My friend's son with AS went on the school's Y6 trip to London in May. She was beside herself with worry in the weeks leading up to it as he was generally becoming more unsettled - the trip was scheduled for May as a break for the children after completing KS2 SATS and he'd struggled a lot with his exams. She too was worried about the tight schedule and how he'd cope with its demands.

However, she had a few meetings with the Head and Y6 teacher and made some arrangements suitable to her son. He was allowed to take a hand-held video game, share a room with a chosen friend (rather than being allocated), and was placed in the Head's supervision group (the Head actually became aware of his needs more in this week than she had during his whole time in the school). Although he was anxious before the trip he actually did really well and had a great time. He did have an aftermath though and it took a few days to calm down, but all in all it was a success.

It might be an idea to discuss your concerns with school now, backed up with reports from professionals who can vouch for how unsettling the trip could be for your daughter. School might think you're jumping the gun a bit as it's so far ahead, but it's better to plan it properly than waiting and hoping for the best.

I hope you work something out and she has a great time.

onlyjoking9329 · 09/10/2006 10:16

it is hard and our job as mums is to worry, i have three kids with autism, my twin girls have been on school resi trips but they go to SN school so i did not have to worry.
my son who is year 5 at mainstream is going on school camp in july, i am nervous but his needs are well met within the school he has quite a large group of mates who are very protective of him at the same time as enabling him in all sorts of ways, i have to let him go, his mates are counting on him going and i think the positives will outweight any worries i might have.
resi trips are fun and a great way for your child to do the social stuff without so much focus on the academics, ask for a meeting with the staff concerned go armed with a list of questions and see if you feel more at ease when you have all the answers, let us know how it goes.

sylvm · 09/10/2006 14:15

This is very helpful - I am writing a letter to the Head (who I have already spoken to about this) asking him for a meeting with the staff who are going and asking for suggestions as to how she could have time away from the group.

OP posts:
mumeeee · 09/10/2006 17:10

My 14 year old is dyspraxic and she has been on several Residential trips with school and Guides. She was in year six when she went on the first one. We had the added problem of her wetting the bed. I talked to the adults going and they always looked out for her and made sure that she could rest if she got tired. She wore pull ups at night and also took desmo tablets. The staff made sure she was able to change her pull ups discreetly.
She always loves these trips away and went on an activity trip a few months ago and only needed a bit more help then the other children to do some of the activities.
So my advice would be don't worry speak to the teachers in charge and let her go. She will have a great time.

sylvm · 10/10/2006 10:41

Thanks - I will try to be brave .

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.