My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Not good news

20 replies

eidsvold · 11/09/2006 03:56

Some of you may remember dh having to go back to the Uk as his father was diagnosed with lung and liver cancer. Well things are not looking good. He has been waking up unable to breathe and having panic attacks as well as coughing up blood etc.

Looks like another trip home in the near future for dh for a funeral. I would like to go with him but unfortunately - can't afford to pay for four of us - so sad as I know the girls would help MIL and I wish we were there to be able to provide more practical support.

OP posts:
threebob · 11/09/2006 04:28

Please ring the airlines, try to get a nice member of staff and ask if they have bereavement prices...my mum came over to help me after I'd been rushed to hospital and got a brilliant price from Singapore airlines because it was a medical emergency.

LadyTophamHatt · 11/09/2006 07:09

I'm sorry to hear that Eidvolds....

It's lovely that the airlines do that threebob...I hope you're able to use that too.

Spagblog · 11/09/2006 07:11

How awful, and a frightening time for all. I hope you find that you can all go.

Thomcat · 11/09/2006 09:32

So sorry. Must be extra difficult being so far away. Love to you all.

mrs2shoes · 11/09/2006 11:56

sorry to hear that

hannahsaunt · 11/09/2006 12:27

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and your family.

eidsvold · 11/09/2006 12:39

will have to be just dh - cost him over $2 500 last time and probably will be mroe this time without us lot tagging along.

OP posts:
coppertop · 11/09/2006 12:46

Eidsvold

threebob · 11/09/2006 21:27

Please call the airline and ask - it's not a busy time I don't think. Mum paid 430 pounds to come over in August.

eidsvold · 11/09/2006 23:47

threebob we are just waiting to see what his mum wants - whether she wants dh to come over again now or wait for the end iyswim. Might given them a call and ask just to see what they say.

OP posts:
essbee · 11/09/2006 23:51

Message withdrawn

mymama · 12/09/2006 03:22

Sorry to hear this news eidsvold. How is your dh holding up?? Flights are just so expensive. Perhaps you could finance a flight for your mil to visit you early next year to see the girls. One flight instead of four.

colinandcaitlinsmommy · 12/09/2006 05:19

Thinking of you. DH's mom is dying of lung and liver cancer that has spread to her kidneys and bones. Not a pleasant way to go. We've been living apart for over a month now as the kids and I came up here to take care of her because we were too far away to do anything, and DH's work hasn't given him his transfer up here yet. Not a fun situation at all for either one of our families, and what a stress on the poor DH's. Hopefully you can work something out to be there for DH and his family.

jabberwocky · 12/09/2006 05:33

eidsvold, so sorry to hear about this. Definitely check for bereavement flights. I had to book a next day flight when my grandmother passed away and they do have a special rate for that.

arfishymeau · 12/09/2006 06:12

Oh Eids, I'm sorry to hear your news. Your poor DH.

eidsvold · 12/09/2006 11:24

dh doesn't talk much about it. We did tell his mum this week about the new baby and she was very pleased and excited.

OP posts:
coppertop · 13/09/2006 13:32

How is everything, eidsvold?

I'm so sorry about your MIL, C&Csmommy.

gracej · 13/09/2006 16:05

So sorry for your DH. I can relate to the feeling of being far away from family when health crisis strikes.
It is a worst thing about living abroad.

eidsvold · 13/09/2006 23:01

oh ct dh talked to his sister last night and apparently it is not good. FIL is on what appears to be a lot of morphine and he is just out of it - often waking up disoriented - not knowing where he is, what is happening etc. THe hospice have said they will take him anytime he is ready and MIL is ready for him to go.

Dh did say he kind of thought FIL might have had more time - this deterioration was so sudden..... and dh was a little teary last night talking to SIL.

So we are just waiting for that phonecall.

OP posts:
coppertop · 15/09/2006 10:40

Sad Sad Sad

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.