My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Toileting (potty training) a child with mobility problems

8 replies

fio2 · 13/02/2004 13:07

Need a bit of help ladies. My dd has been unreliably using the potty for some time now, it is a bit hit and miss. But now she is refusing to sit on it at all. She is four now and is too big for it really. I have tried her on the toilet but she is scared because she has nothing to hold on to. She has taken to weeing on my pine carver dining chair, obviously because it makes her feel more secure! I approached my HV about getting some kind of komode but she said this wasnt wise because dd would have to use a normal toilet when we go out etc. She said OT can provide special seating with arms to put round the toilet. But she is not referring me here because we should be moved in 3 weeks, which is understandable, and there is no OT service to talk of here either. I was just wondering whether I could just buy something like this, whether any of you had got anything similar and if it does make a difference to a child with mobility problems. I am prepared to pay for it because dd starts mainstream school in september and I would like her to be dry. She is really keen to have no pants on now, but just likes weeing on my carver chair 'toilet' Any help would be appreciatedSmile

OP posts:
Caroline5 · 13/02/2004 16:47

hi fio, don't know if this is really any help, but for dd1 we had a sort of potty chair type thing which fitted on top of the toilet seat. It had handles to hold on to each side. Not sure if this is what you mean - will try to locate it in a catalogue

Caroline5 · 13/02/2004 16:54

This potty seat is the sort of thing I mean, you can definitely get these in the UK. Don't know if this is sturdy enough, HTH

lou33 · 13/02/2004 17:30

Hi Fio,

Guess what? I'm doing this right now with ds2! The trouble with normal potties for him, is that his legs can't position properly, leaving him unstable (he is v wobbly anyway with sitting unsupported), and the type of seats that go on the toilet are again, too precarious for him. OT organised a rep to visit at home, and he now has a sooper dooper commode style chair, which has padded arm, a back, and a removable wooden bar, which goes across the front in case you have to leave the room. It also has a lap strap.

I have to say we only got it on Wednesday, and he has been brilliant on it! Mulitple wees, only one or two accidents inbetween, and he hasn't been in nappies at all in the day. He really loves it, which I think is helped by the fact he feels secure in it. Definitely contact OT. Am at Spacemonkeys atm, but when i go home tomorrow, I will find out what it is called for you.

easy · 13/02/2004 20:48

Fio, since my operation on my hip I have a frame which fits around the loo giving armrests at each side.

see the toilet surround on this page as an example.

fio2 · 13/02/2004 21:15

thanks everyone, i will look at the links tommorrow. She actually asked and sat on the pot tonight and did a great big poo (sorry for you who are eating dinner!) She really need a bigger seat thing thoughSmile

OP posts:
lou33 · 16/02/2004 15:50

Hi Fio,

The toiletting chair ds2 has is the Smirthwaite "Combi" Toiletting Chair, code 7551-7559. Their website is here , click on potty chairs. Hth .

fio2 · 16/02/2004 16:28

Thanks lou and easy (and caroline) It was more like the surround you have easy I was thinking of. I popped into my disabled aids shop in town today to have a word with them. They have advised me to wait til we get down kent. They said dd really needs OT advice as they know what is going to be best for her. Oh yeh thats if we ever see OT! Suppose I am just going to have to wait now......I just wanted to get something sorted so we could start straight away when we are in the house. Patience has never been my strong point!

OP posts:
Caroline5 · 16/02/2004 20:51

Good luck fio, hope you get some OT soon in Kent.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.