My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Who should he be reffered to?

10 replies

farawaytree · 26/04/2006 12:23

My friends DS who is 5 and in reception has been to see the school nurse this week (at the schools request). He was tested on various things and the upshot is that he does not hold a pencil correctly (although he writes fine), is a bit clumsy, is easily distracted and sometimes has emotional outbursts. The nurse mentioned the word 'autistic' and said she will refer him. My friend admits he is a bit clumsy and doesnt hold his pen correctly, but otherwise is within normal limits for the other bits compared to his friends of the same age. Obviously she is very concerned as rather than be on the waiting list is prepared to pay to see someone privately. Who would this person be? is it a educational phsycologist? and can anyone refer one in SW London / Surrey. Thx

OP posts:
FioFio · 26/04/2006 12:27

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted

farawaytree · 26/04/2006 12:33

Thanks FioFio - is a developmental paed the best next step from here? The nurse said, after throwing in this bombshell, that of course there is a long wait to see anyone!!! So I don't think my friend can hang on until then.

OP posts:
lars · 26/04/2006 12:35

farawaytree, when you said 'clumsy' what came to mind was dispraxia ( not sure of spelling here).

I know of two people who's children have this and sounds similar to your friends ds's problems.
But of course i'm not a pofessionals but clearly saying this may not be autism. FioFio has given some good advice here. larsxx

misdee · 26/04/2006 12:37

dyspraxia in on the spectrum tho isnt it?

the waiting is hard, if she can be seen privately then i would say do it. I have been waiting 5months for dd3 to be seen, her assessment is in 2 weeks time. it cant come soon enough.

farawaytree · 26/04/2006 12:40

who are you waiting to see?

OP posts:
lars · 26/04/2006 12:41

misdee, I didn't think it was on the spectrum, my friend who's ds has this has never said, but I could be wrong of course. larsxx

misdee · 26/04/2006 12:44

this is for a session at the child devolopment clinic with the paed.

LIZS · 26/04/2006 12:47

Agree a Developmental Paed and/or perhaps an Occupational Therapist. ds did a Griffiths Motor Developmental test with the paed which looked specifically at skills such as Locomotor, Personal/Social, Hearing/Speech, Performance(tested with puzzles and tasks against the clock) and Practical Reasoning. He has been referred to OT , as he lagged behind his age in Locomotor and Personal/Social skills particulary - dyspraxic traits - but be warned we are probably going to have to wait more than a year for an assessment (East Surrey) so it may take some time.

misdee · 26/04/2006 12:49

dd2 already has an OT as we self-referred back in nov after session with physio for her clumsiness (she has low muscle tone).

LIZS · 26/04/2006 12:51

We 've tried to find a private OT unsuccessfully - our hospital ones don't do it and there are no local ones who specialise in it that I can find \link{\here}. Fortunately we have already seen a private OT abroad so do have some idea as to what ds finds problematic and the sort of things that help him. He has also had intensive help with handwriting at school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.