My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

family support worker

2 replies

jenk1 · 21/01/2006 20:32

Our family support worker,s time with dd is coming to an end next month.

She has been brill,has taken me and dd out when previously i didnt leave the house and has helped me gain confidence with dd.

Yesterday she said that she would like to continue to work with us as a family but with DS who at present is out of school due to severe anxiety.

She said usually a HV refers to her but with DS being 9 our HV cant do it.

She wasnt sure who could and said she would try to find out, its got to be someone with the correct paperwork, i mentioned GP but she said she didnt think that a GP could refer.

Has anyone else had this or do you know who could refer DS to her as she would really help him.


OP posts:
dizzy34 · 21/01/2006 21:00

School nurse? They tend to take over from the HV. GP can usually refer to anyone. Social workers can and teachers sometimes can.

hornbag · 21/01/2006 22:20

Does your FSW work for Social Services? If so a referral to SS by a health or education professional may be what you need.

Where do you live?
If the set-up is the same as where I am then the referral from HV/teacher/Educ. SW/GP goes to a "panel" within SS who decide who/what support is needed.
Hope this helps. I'm sure your FSW will find out the best route to go down.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.