My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

not sure if this should be on here or health/behaviour

9 replies

FairyTaleinNewYork · 22/12/2005 22:35

dd2 has made her lips sore. she is constantly kicking and bitter her lower lip, she walks about with her tongue out, her chin is sore as well. she bites down on it quite hard, and looks like the skin is about to split. she gets some comfort from it, and she licks/bites mroe when stressed. what can i do about it?

OP posts:
FairyTaleinNewYork · 22/12/2005 22:35

not kicking, licking lol

OP posts:
Socci · 22/12/2005 22:54

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Blossomgoodwill · 22/12/2005 23:01

I think it's linked to anxiety to be honest misdee.
Dd is biting herself and it's usually when she is anxious or upset. I have been to see my gp who has referred onto Camhs (not saying you need this) for help and strategies).

rummum · 22/12/2005 23:10

Can you put some cream on it at night to stop it drying out, although this isn't solving the problem of her making it sore, it is sometimes a vicous circle until it heals.

Blossomgoodwill · 22/12/2005 23:13

My bil (38 with AS and almost def. Adhd) is constantly picking at his lips, skin all over his body and he doesn't know why. He just can't stop himself.

feastofsteven · 22/12/2005 23:20

would giving her sugar free chewing gum to chew distract her from doing this do you think? I used to pick my skin a lot when younger (mostly but not 100% stopped now . With me it was a combination of boredom and stress. In terms of dealing with the boredom aspect, I think it's like dealing with a bad habit - that you can reduce it by find something else to do with your hands etc.

onlyjoking9329 · 22/12/2005 23:23

Dunno what to suggest but my DS does this every winter, it quickly becomes an autie stim, then he stops once the weather is warmer, i think his lips feel uncomfy when they are dry and thats why he does it, but he wont let me put vasaline or lipsalve on him, hope it clears up soon

FairyTaleinNewYork · 23/12/2005 07:29

thats what i am thinking it is. she does it more when listening to music which is strange. think she is too young for chewing gum at 3yrs old

OP posts:
maddiemostmerry · 23/12/2005 08:47

May be a habit, my ds4 bites the inside of his cheeks until they bleed. It doesn't seem to bother him. I agree just put lip salve on it, probably best to try to distract her but don't draw attention to it as this may just help reinforce the habit.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.