My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Story in Local Paper

9 replies

AliceInWonderland · 02/12/2005 10:18

This story has been printed in our local paper, I was wondering if anyone would like to add to the comments that have been made on the website. Its already attracting some very interesting comments from across the country, and I think it might be a good opportunity to raise awareness.

As someone who lives in Devon, I was shocked by what the DCC are suggesting to parents of children with SEN if they are considering moving here.

never done a link attachment before so hoping it works ...

heres the link \link {http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=142327&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142322&contentPK=13589886&folderPk=79877}

OP posts:
harpsiheraldangelssing · 02/12/2005 10:22

link

AliceInWonderland · 02/12/2005 10:29

Thanks for that, failed miserably ... blumming technophobe that I am.

OP posts:
AliceInWonderland · 02/12/2005 10:29

Thanks for that, failed miserably ... blumming technophobe that I am.

OP posts:
Davros · 02/12/2005 14:38

I haven't seen the other comments, no time to look right now. All I can say is that ALL my friends whose children have been to mainstream for primary school are sending them to special schools for secondary. Withoug exception! This is quite a few and all ranges of ability. The secondary inclusion issue is just waiting to blow up.

AliceInWonderland · 02/12/2005 18:55

bump

OP posts:
nikkie · 02/12/2005 20:21

Very common for kids to transfer to Sn school at 11 or even 7 in this area, we also have a couple at yr 10 or for 16+ as later schools cannot cope with them or the environmental factors are too much.
DCC shouldn't be trying to blaim the family for moving to the area though.

baka · 02/12/2005 20:50

I'm in Devon Alice (not Exeter, although went to school there myself) and we have ds1 (6- severely autistic) in a wonderful special school (after 4 terms in mainstream). He can stay there until 19 and we are NOT moving- even though dh is starting a new job in Cornwall. DS1's needs are complex and we are so lucky to have found somewhere that can cater for them very well that I am not risking the place!

Apixelmascarol · 02/12/2005 22:09

We are in exactly the same position. Considered moving further west a little while ago but just can't risk ds's school place. We had to turn down a much nicer house than this (and cheaper rent)and lost our deposit because even though I can walk to it from here in 2 minutes, it is in a different county!

AliceInWonderland · 05/12/2005 15:48

I hope no-one minds too much but I'm giving this a little bump in the hope to keep getting the comments coming in onto the website, its my hope that a national will pick up the story, IPSEA have already been intouch so its looking good.

Big thanks to anyone who has already posted a comment there of course.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.