My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Result of ds's assessment

82 replies

Eulalia · 11/10/2003 14:11

We got back yesterday after a tiring but enjoyable week. Feeling more optimistic - we haven't had a copy of the final report yet but the SALT's individual report seemed to sum him up correctly as having a semantic pragmatic language disorder and mild autistic spectrum disorder.

I know he has been showing less autistic behaviour recently and this is encouraging. However he still shows enough within the 3 main areas for the diagnosis to be made.. He is becoming more sociable though and showed concern about one of the other children in the unit. It was funny as he says "shut up, thank you" quite a lot which the staff found hilarious as on the one hand this is rude but adding on the "thank you" shows politeness. His comphrension and expression of language is around age 2.5 with some gaps. The SALT is trying to push him further along the waiting list (he is currently nearly half way through a 42 week list). He should get the SALT in blocks and won't need special assistance at nursery. They are so good with him there anyway. I also got a big, big boost to my confidence when several people said quite independently that I was doing a great job not just with coping with everything but was adapting my behaviour to help with his development.

The unit was great. He was assigned to a nurse who I thought was just looking after him but she was actually observing him all the time and doing a checklist of his abilities. He was in a nursery type setting and loved the toys and equipment, as did dd who could sit in some of the time. I saw the staff either on my own or sometimes with him and they also observed him on their own. We stayed in the little apartment in the grounds which was lovely and peaceful so there was something of a holiday atmosphere. It was great to get out of the home environment and to concentrate fully on him. There was a case conference at the end with 10 people (!) and it was very comphrensive. I can't fault any of them. His nursery teacher even came to give a report which was very helpful.

Oh and he peddled a tricycle for the first time there!! They say his skills at using scissors, threading, colouring in, numbers and recognising shapes are very good. He does NOT want to draw though and this may hold him back with learning to write eventually.

Anyway sorry this is so long, just to say thanks to you all for the support and encouragement since ds's initial diagnoisis and indeed before. Feeling quite optimistic about the future at the moment

OP posts:
ScummyMummy · 11/10/2003 14:16

How wonderful, Eulalia. Sounds like a fantastic place. Many congrats on ds doing so well and riding a trike to boot. And how right they are re:your good parenting- though we could have told you that!.

Jimjams · 11/10/2003 15:14

great news eulalia. i think autistic tendencies tend to go with semantic pragmatic disorder so you'll probably find they continue to decline as his language comes on. Glad it went well- and it sounds a wonderful service.

bells2 · 12/10/2003 09:54

Fantastic Eulalia. Great to hear you sounding so upbeat.

pupuce · 12/10/2003 10:05

This sounds really good Eulalia.... gald you are so positive !

Demented · 12/10/2003 11:09

Brilliant news Eulalia! Well done to you and your DS!

tamum · 12/10/2003 11:10

That's fantastic news, Eulalia, how great to get such positive input. I love the shut up thank you, so endearing!

maryz · 12/10/2003 11:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eulalia · 12/10/2003 15:37

maryz - thanks for the reassurances. I don't think he sees the point at all in drawing as it obviously requires imagination.

jimjams - was a bit confused with the diagnosis - seems that some people don't include SPLD with autism but others do... it can be possible to have SPLD with no autistic tendencies or quite a lot... ds is probably middling with this. one paper I read was useful in that it didn't put autism on a continuum as such but more of a venn diagramm with two axis (langauge on one and social relationships on the other) and shows how SPLD overlaps with autism.

OP posts:
Marina · 12/10/2003 22:09

That's really positive Eulalia, glad it went so well for you all.

maryz · 12/10/2003 23:10

fio2 · 13/10/2003 08:16

Good news Eulalia, glad it all went wellSmile

Jimjams · 13/10/2003 08:18

seems reasonable to me maryz

ScummyMummy · 13/10/2003 17:36

LOL Maryz. I can just imagine the lead ballooness of it but he sounds like a very creative thinker to me!

mrsforgetful · 13/10/2003 21:13

Eulia- sounds great....and what a lot for you to take in! I bet you'll be watching for the postman every day for the report!!!!

Can you briefly tell me how this assesmant came about? Did it cost a lot?? DS1 has Aspergers and DS2 has been observed at school and though Dr agreed he showed Autistic Tendancies- she said a DX was not needed at the moment- however outside school (not just at home....so his behaviour can't be my fault can it?!!!!) he struggles with many things which i'm sure would get picked up if he was examined out of school....WHY oh WHY do they seem to think it's O.K if the child manages at school- and not bother if it's at home etc??? Does he need to go off with a stranger before they accept that he needs my 100% attention as soon as he's out the school gates.

mrsforgetful · 13/10/2003 21:13

Eulia- sounds great....and what a lot for you to take in! I bet you'll be watching for the postman every day for the report!!!!

Can you briefly tell me how this assesmant came about? Did it cost a lot?? DS1 has Aspergers and DS2 has been observed at school and though Dr agreed he showed Autistic Tendancies- she said a DX was not needed at the moment- however outside school (not just at home....so his behaviour can't be my fault can it?!!!!) he struggles with many things which i'm sure would get picked up if he was examined out of school....WHY oh WHY do they seem to think it's O.K if the child manages at school- and not bother if it's at home etc??? Does he need to go off with a stranger before they accept that he needs my 100% attention as soon as he's out the school gates.

mrsforgetful · 13/10/2003 21:24

MaryZ: your bit about the pointlessness of drawing reminded me of ds1 saying that he didn't see the point of assemblies. When i asked him why he replied " all they talk about is GOD GOD GOD!" i tried explaining that he goes to a 'christian school" etc- he said that if he was muslim he'd want to hear about that etc....and besides he said that if he wanted to hear about god he'd go to church! This became such a 'heavy' conversation....you know the way that our 'specials' can manage to pull every possible angle of a topic and not bore!

The other day he made me smile when he said that he thought T.V programme makers were wrong to show programmes where animals spoke or rode cars etc as younger children would grow up believing it was possible! He then asked me if i was proud of him for realising that this was just pretend!!
This is probably due to the fact at nearly 10 yrs he's beginning to understand some of the 'real world' that confused him when he was younger- he's also beginning to understand 'figures of speech' to the point that if i say 'stand still' etc he bursts into hysterics and does exactly that then says "well you did say stand still"- quite an achievement when i look back at how hard he found all this B4!

Eulalia · 13/10/2003 21:26

mrsforgetful - I am surprised at your dr - I would insist upon a referral if I were you.

The process started with our health visitor. We had been concerned for awhile that ds wasn't speaking. She referred him to the child development unit via the GP when he was 3.5. At that appointment which was about 45 mins long the doctor said she thought he was autistic but that he could be properly assessed at this centre for children with speical needs - we had to wait 5 months for this. It was all done through the NHS and didn't cost us a penny. I would imagine that you have something similar in your area. I certainly think that child development units exist throughout the UK but there is probably variability between Scotland and England.

Maybe you could push the idea of him wandering off on his own to the doctor to push for an appointment?

OP posts:
Eulalia · 13/10/2003 21:29

That's funny as that is one thing that ds refuses to do at nursery - go into assembly with some of the younger primary classes. I think it is the crowd of people that scares him though as the assembly itself will be totally beyond him.

OP posts:
maryz · 13/10/2003 22:47

maryz · 13/10/2003 22:48

mrsforgetful · 14/10/2003 21:26

Maryz and Eulia- you made me have tears in my eyes....but i was smiling at the same time! I am so lucky to be able to offload all my 'bits' on here!
Eulia - have decided to wait till my health visitor comes in half term as she is excellent- i am confident that if she stays for an hour or so that enough will happen to illustrate how hard ds2 finds 'homelife'...i doubt if she'l want to repeat the process at tescos,library,town,mcDonals etc ...so hope she'l make some kind of referal independant to the school- i can't help feeling that because my boys are at a school with a high % of special needs children that the Dr the school liases with must to some degree only refer the worst....it's probably not true....however it's how i feel.
Regardless, I am struggling and am seeing a psychologist myself relating to my own difficulties- so 'if' it isn't autism...then something still has to be done to help our family- that is the argument i will make to the DR- however because DS2 demonstrates echolalia,stims,hates change,smells food,will not try new foods,etcetcetc.... then i KNOW he is autistic and its just doubly hard as NO-ONE else even my husband really beleives me- but no-one else has bothered reading any books or the NAS website.... so how can they say 'NO' when all they tink autism is ....is withdrawn and in a silent world. (my 3 boys are anything but silent!)

tigermoth · 14/10/2003 23:11

mrsforgetful, that's dreadful for you. You sound like a voice crying in the wilderness. I really hope you get someone to take your concerns seriously and get that assessment soon.

This thread is yet another special needs thread that fills me with mixed emotions. I did smile at your descriptions of your older children suddenly 'getting' sarcasm and lying.

I am really glad, Eulalia, that your son's diagnosis has been so hopeful for you. It must have been really good to hear the 'experts' praising your parenting skills.

The point you made about your son's autistic tendencies decreasing as he had got older and acquired more language made me think. How common is it for special children to grow up to become 'normal spectrum' adults - whatever that is? I realise this must be confused by the fact (as I understand it) that a higher proportion of special needs children are diagnosed now, as compared with 30 years ago.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

mrsforgetful · 15/10/2003 23:58

Tigermoth- i feel like i would love our family to be the stars of some kind of big brother so that the hidden cameras/two-way mirrors would 'show ' everyone what is happening! I've got to the point that the ONLY reason that i know that i am RIGHT in how i parent etc...is that every day my kids want ME to take them to school/collect them/take them to bed etc....feel like despite it all being chaotic here that they are HAPPY!

This is not me fishing for sympathy or praise- just how i feel- i have read loads on the site to know that you've all been down and got back up again- i hold on to that !

Eulalia · 17/10/2003 19:42

Good luck mrsforgetful - keep us posted on developments.

OP posts:
mrsforgetful · 19/10/2003 00:30

Will Do!To offload my thoughts and feelings on this site is all that keeps me going somedays- and to read all the other posts reminds me i am not alone-TQ to you all!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.