My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Autism and ABA - would you canvass door to door to ask for money?

64 replies

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:06

HI, i am starting an aba program for my son and tallied up how much its going to cost. Between therapists and consultants it comes to over £200.00 per week. This is a conservative estimate. Like most of you, i cant afford it, my trust/education board is not going to pay for it so i was thinking i would just go canvassing. I would put a cute picture of my son on a tin can and ask people to spare a few pence to help him have a future.

Any of you done this? What would your reaction be if i came to your door?? I worry people will ask why i am not collecting for other kids on the program, but no one i know is doing aba. Its strictly unheard of where i live anyway.
reactions please

OP posts:
Blossomhowl · 16/10/2005 21:19

Personally I wouldn't like it at all. I wouldn't dream of doing this for my dd with sn, but that's just my own view.

You could put a piece in the local paper, do a boot sale, sponsorship etc but just cold calling on people's doors asking for money I think is unacceptable. I wouldn't like it at all if you knocked on my door.

nutcackle · 16/10/2005 21:20

How would they know you were telling the truth though ???

misdee · 16/10/2005 21:22

nope wouldnt do it. sorry. i hate people knocking on my door collecting for charities when i have enough on my plate to deal with.

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:27

Hmm, well i have to say if it was for me, i might have a bit of pride/humility but when it comes to my son, i will do whatever it takes bar stealing to get what he needs. I live next door to a very posh area where i know a few pennies wont hurt them if they give them to my son. yeah, i dont like people coming to my door either, but i bet no one in my area has done this and i would expect people to be either interested or peeved. Also, its an opportunity to explain to people on their doorstep what kind of hell parents of autistic children go through in trying to help their kids, particularly parents who are financially "challenged". I already have an organisation on board whose name i can use as well and i will give them a portion of the proceeds to help other kids whose parents cant afford aba. I think its a great idea. I will let you know how it goes. Other peoples opinions greatly welcomed too.

OP posts:
coppertop · 16/10/2005 21:27

Most people will have never heard of ABA and would probably be wary of handing over money. I think contacting the local newspaper and asking them to do a feature may be a better start. At £200 per week you'd have to do a heck of a lot of tin-rattling.

misdee · 16/10/2005 21:30

i think you would do better do an appeal through the paper than knocking door to door. and please dont be so aggressive sounding in your posts. i am doing everything i can do atm to rasie awareness of organ donation due to my husbands condition, so in a way can understand the stress and frustration life entails with a disabled person. I am also stil lwaiting to find out what is wrong with my dd2, she is due to see physio soon.

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:30

Already did that copper! In terms of awareness it will help but it wont help my son get his aba program. They even took a picture of us, so hopefully if people see me they will know what i am on about.

Its getting to the point where almost everyone knows someone who knows someone with autism. I will gladly talk to people for 15 minutes if they give me some cash.

OP posts:
mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:32

misdee, the etiquette marshall. Are you going to turn this post into an assault on my style or the content? What exactly do you find aggressive.

OP posts:
Blossomhowl · 16/10/2005 21:33

I have to say misdee's hit it on the head. I find your posts very aggressive mmddww and to be honest if you come across at people's doors as you do on here you won't get anywhere.

Why are you so defensive all the time?

misdee · 16/10/2005 21:33

u wnated opinions we gave it.

misdee · 16/10/2005 21:33

f*ck it i wont bother i nfuture.

SoBlue · 16/10/2005 21:34

I usually give something to charity collectors at the door but i would want to see proof of their charity status. I think you would need a licence.

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:34

like i said, what do you find aggressive? Do you live in a bubble? What you dont like is the affrontery of me going and asking door to door for money, you think THAT is aggressive.

OP posts:
mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:35

misdee, ???

OP posts:
misdee · 16/10/2005 21:36

why dont u talk to people anyway without asking for cash? i know you need it to get ABA off the ground, but raising awareness is the key firstly.

how about soemthign sponsered?? i recently did a speonsered fun run/walk with my kids for harefield hospital.

misdee · 16/10/2005 21:37

no mamamdadawahwah i do not live i na bubble, i live in a life which most people wouldnt want. if someone comes to my door rattlign a tin for an unregistered charity for something iknow othing about then i will tell then no thanks.

BeeBee67 · 16/10/2005 21:39

How do you know that the 'posh' people haven't got great problems of their own to deal with? What would you think if they came round knocking on your door for 'a few pence' for a really deserving cause?

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:41

Misdee, thats all fine and good, i need the money now! There are plenty of autism charities asking for cash to raise awareness. They are registered charities, and they have expenses. Where i live, however, there is only one charity raising cash for ABA, and it is parent led. they are basically doing the same thing as me, only on a grander scale. the main charity does not support aba per se but rather the TEACCH method which i dont want my son to go to.

If i was destitute i would beg on the street to feed my son. If i dont have this program for my son, he will be left behind. Plain and simple. I will not let the government and its lack of funding stop my son from reaching the academic and social level of his peers once he goes into school. If the government funded aba, that would be a different story, but it would take a lengthy and expensive legal case to get funding as you all know.

OP posts:
misdee · 16/10/2005 21:44

welcome to the world of living permanatly in debt caring for a disabled member of family.

Blossomhowl · 16/10/2005 21:45

How on earth are you going to raise £800 a month knocking on doors?

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:45

If i was rich, i would be a philanthropist cause i know what it is like to be poor. I am not poor in the destitute sense, but i am poor in not being able to afford £28.000 per year sense.

I bet misdee, that you are going to take my idea and run with it. Go on admit it.

OP posts:
nutcackle · 16/10/2005 21:47

People will not give you money unless you have identification to show you are from a registered chairty and even then i think people might not, especially not as much as you are looking for.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:47

Well, i have always believed that a rolling stone gathers no moss. I think once this gets rolling great things will happen. I am ultimately an optimist.

OP posts:
mamadadawahwah · 16/10/2005 21:48

people do give money. Kids come knocking my door every week looking for sponsor money or for street party money or whatever. Anyway, i already said i can get a non-profit on board so i can raise a bit of cash for them too, to give to another family who hasnt got funding.

OP posts:
misdee · 16/10/2005 21:48

no, because i dont have the time to go knocking on doors. i am rasing moeny and awareness for harefield hospital and transplants in general, i am in contact with channel 4 for a documnetry, i am a member of the CMA, many onlien groups, chat to members of society in regards about transplant, artificial hearts etc, and constantly plug my blog (oops i did it again) all over the place. i am massivly in debt due to travelling costs and the fact that atm my dh doesnt get his care component of DLA due to long time in hospital, but am struggling along atm.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.