Please
or
to access all these features

Business founders/entrepreneurs

Setting up a craft business as second income

19 replies

Ajay96 · 25/03/2022 01:32

Hi, any advice or tips are welcomed.
I'm quite an artistic and creative person, however only ever used these skills to help out friends and family etc. Now I've invested in cricut, printer etc, mainly to allow me to make my own gifts and cards. Ive done a few already and loving it, and now wondering how hard would it be to make it a business. I was always in the mindset that I didn't want to ruin my love for it with being stressed etc. I find making things as a destress mechanism and would love to use it as an extra income. X

OP posts:
DelilahBucket · 25/03/2022 09:26

I'm sorry to be blunt but it sounds like you are doing the same thing as thousands of others out there and you will struggle to sell at a price to even cover your costs let alone make a profit. It will be very difficult to make it a business. Also, turning a hobby into a business isn't easy at the best of times, as suddenly you have pressure and unlike friends and family, paying customers expect things to be perfect. If they are not you can quickly find yourself out of pocket, especially if your profit is tiny to begin with.
I would stick with it as a de-stressing hobby.

Peppapigforlife · 25/03/2022 09:28

You might be better off to run de-stress craft classes for people if you want to make a profit.

Ohmnomnom · 25/03/2022 09:34

I did it during the first lockdown and it went brilliantly! Mainly because everyone was stuck at home feathering the nest and some had spare cash as they couldn't go out. Its slowed down quite a bit now though.

Etsy is the first place to list your items. You can create a website through them using the pattern tab. I'd recommend making a website using squarespace as it's really easy and you can link it to a squarespace card reader to take card payments at craft fairs and markets.

Open a Facebook business and Instagram shopping account. You can then link your posts to website items so customers can click on social media posts to buy. Get on Tiktok! I'm on Folksy but it's dead. Not on the high street are flooded with Chinese tat.

Make items that follow current trends, or stuff for particular days like valentines, Christmas, etc. I know someone that made personalised water bottles using a cricut machine. She jumped on the Love Island water bottle trend and sold thousands!

Good luck!

SamphiretheStickerist · 25/03/2022 09:37

Classes will be more productive. I am jst starting up a craft based business too. I have spent the best part of 30 years mulling it over, starting to sell some items and trying to find my niche. I now have that niche and have had to choose between marketing classes or selling my skills. I may yet end up doing both, but classes will be a better bet.

Marketing classes is fun. You can do
Lifestyle classes
De-stress classes
Mindfulness classes
Skill swap classes
Resource swap classes

Same class, different audience. Currently the world is full of craft based goods. Some good, some not so good. Many way, way underpriced. So put your business head on before you set out!

Calmitdownkermit · 25/03/2022 09:46

Don't underestimate the work involved. It. Is. Hard running a craft business. Plus the world and his wife all bought a cricut in lockdown and now everyone is doing exactly the same as you. The market is saturated with card makers, you'll need a USP to get anywhere at all with it. You may find that your new relaxing hobby isn't so relaxing anymore.

speakout · 29/03/2022 18:04

I would urge you to give it a go.
Many markets are saturated, but if you can find a niche there is money to be made.
I make and sell craft items, and make a very healthy profit. More than my OH who is an IT engineer in paid employment.

Timeforausernamechange22 · 02/04/2022 13:01

I heard someone say last week - “a person doesn’t say they can’t become a hairdresser because there are too many hairdressers out there already”. There is always space in the market for your business. I find the problem with most craft businesses is that they completely undercharge so if you want to make a liveable income you have to really place yourself above the rest. It’s not impossible - McDonald’s and Five Guys both sell a burger, fries and milkshake but one is 3x the cost of the other because you pay for the nicer experience. The same can work for a craft business.
Good luck with it

Autumnwater · 02/04/2022 13:22

There maybe space in the market for sure but I would be careful in the current climate these are things people are likely to cut back on. Do I need food or a personalised item. If your investing money into it then I would be wary of your not then crack on

speakout · 02/04/2022 13:25

Timeforausernamechange22

I agree, you don't have to be the cheapest either.
If you find a niche, something with a fairly unique USP then these is money to be made.
I struggle to keep my revenue under the VAT threshold, and my profit margin is good.
People tell me there is no money to be made in crafting, but I have a decent full time income.

Riverlee · 02/04/2022 13:26

Minimum wage is£9.50 per hour. Once you’ve accounted for cost of materials, craft fair stall prices, postage and packaging if selling online, can you feasibly make enough cards to make any money?

speakout · 02/04/2022 13:28

Look at this seller for example on etsy
www.etsy.com/uk/listing/520535253/personalised-wooden-bird-easter-table?click_key=2f217af5071304bce55d64bb639fbacc6e69d15e%3A520535253&click_sum=5d6a1915&external=1&ref=finds_l-5

Sold over 35,000 items, looks like the person will buy in laser cut shapes and then stencils or woodcuts them to style.
Pretty simple, but judging by the sales making a good income.

I don't sell on etsy, many crafters do, but there are lots of places online or locally to sell.

speakout · 02/04/2022 13:30

Riverlee

Many do make money.
My profit exceeds my OHs salary by a significant amount- and he is a full time computer network engineer, his salary is fairly good.

Lovebroccoli · 02/04/2022 13:39

Some people do make money from their craft but the majority don't.
I used to sell well on Etsy, before they redefined the definition of handmade and allowed cheap imports.
If you want to sell, then think really hard about finding a unique selling point. It has to be something that very few other people are doing. Then you might stand a chance. Good luck.

AnnUumellmahaye · 02/04/2022 13:43

Worth a go as a side income, if it takes off and you find a niche for your product then maybe you can make it a full time occupation, don't see any harm in doing it alongside side a main job. If you're enjoying it and you happen to make extra money, all good.

Ajay96 · 04/04/2022 03:26

Thank you everyone on commenting, I completely agree with all opinions as these are exactly what I keep going back and forth with. I'm more artistic with my crafting, not the big standard personalised vinyl etc, recently my focus has been on cards, made a few for friends and families birthdays, this is where it was mentioned I should make them to sell. It feels a shame not to use what I've got to make extra money, especially with current economy, but I do also worry about the stress and how demanding making items that people are paying for, especially the quality etc as I see so many handmade things I feel just aren't worth the money, more rushed, easily broken, doesn't last long etc. I would hate for this to result in my dislike of something I e enjoyed my whole life, although I also feel I just don't use my talents enough, and when I do use them people and be up taking advantage of my genorisity. I wouldn't ask for money as I'm not a professional, but I do also feel it's now expected I will do for free, with no offer of payment. With that being said I'm torn very much with expecting payment from friends as I do this because I enjoy it but also feel I could be doing this for a client, which benefits me as not only I an doing something j enjoy, my services would also being paid for,
I love the ideas of classes, especially as my main job is a primary school teacher, howeve I an unsure how I would be able to make it work around home and work life. I was ideally looking for something I could do when my son was in bed at night, therefore I would've have to arrange additional child care etc, however I will definitely be looking it to what options are available to me.

OP posts:
Timeforausernamechange22 · 12/04/2022 21:43

If you are quite artistic have you considered digital prints instead? Which can then be turned into cards and once the print is designed, it’s quite simply and easy to get them printed and posted as and when needed

Hawkins001 · 12/04/2022 21:51

@Ajay96

Hi, any advice or tips are welcomed.
I'm quite an artistic and creative person, however only ever used these skills to help out friends and family etc. Now I've invested in cricut, printer etc, mainly to allow me to make my own gifts and cards. Ive done a few already and loving it, and now wondering how hard would it be to make it a business. I was always in the mindset that I didn't want to ruin my love for it with being stressed etc. I find making things as a destress mechanism and would love to use it as an extra income. X

There maybe a few sellers already, but that should not put you off, I recognise the equipment you specified, and if you can make more unique or different crafts, or a mix, then it's always worth trying, worse that happens is no to little no sales after a while, id recommend selling cards ect through ebay, but I'm sure other posters will have better knowledge for avenues for selling them. All the best and positivity op.
Hohumfeelingglum · 12/04/2022 21:53

I've done something similar but not intentionally. I bought a sewing machine on mat leave to make my baby clothes and ended up starting a very small business. I sell mainly through Instagram. I enjoy it because it's a hobby business. I put no pressure on myself with it and if it becomes unenjoyable I take a break. Best thing is to find your niche that you enjoy.

Hohumfeelingglum · 12/04/2022 21:54

Also loads of people sell handmade baby clothes but I still have customers, I wouldn't let that put you off either. Everyone starts somewhere.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.