Please
or
to access all these features

Business founders/entrepreneurs

Work from home / self employed ideas

15 replies

jessyjo2 · 22/05/2020 22:25

I'm just looking for some ideas.
I have great experience in office work but recently lost my job. I would love to b able to work from home to balance life with my 3 children. Children are school age so given current circumstances I will need to b very flexible to b able to balance unknown school times.
Has anyone any great ideas of gaps in the market where I potentially could sell on line? Flexible working from home ideas etc?

OP posts:
Turefu · 27/05/2020 18:21

Virtual PA? Telesales? Bookkeeping?

3LittleMonkeyz · 29/05/2020 20:51

What are your biggest strengths? What can you do that other people can't go? Find your niche and you will find which job to do from there.

user48675 · 03/06/2020 22:47

Hi jessy, watching with interest although I don't think people are necessarily going to discuss gaps in the market, having already identified one. I am in an identical situation to you (except youngest is yet to start school). It is really difficult to get work that is tailored around school times unless you happen to work in a school and even then, I think after school clubs etc. might be involved. Any luck with moving forward with your plan to work from home?

LondonSurrey · 04/06/2020 23:10

@jessyjo2 where are you based?

jessyjo2 · 04/06/2020 23:24

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Yes agree I don't blame anyone for not giving away the secrets of gaps in the market, everyone needs to use their own opportunities.
I actually had success today, a friend of a friend approached me to work for them. Mostly work from home, willing to let me work around children. Cant believe my luck.
I really can sympathise with parents genuinely wanting to work but due to childcare/virus/school work you really are in a corner.

OP posts:
user48675 · 05/06/2020 16:39

Oh wow Jessy that sounds like a real break. I keep mentioning my predicament to some, but don't have any contacts. I am going to approach one company directly about possible work during school hours. The problem is, I only want about 10 hours per week. I have an idea for an on-line business it will probably pay less than minimal wage but it is tied in with a hobby and I'm keen to give it a go. Option 3. is voluntary work in connection with a charity I wouldn't mind supporting, just to get out of the house. My plans are made up of bits and pieces at the moment. I don't know if it's my age (late 40's) but I'm having problems committing myself to anything. In the past, I have had admin jobs and for some reason, I'm not jumping up and down to go back to that line of work. I don't have a particular skill set unfortunately - people who have a skill - hairdressing/photography/IT whizz/plastering etc. seem well placed to work at least some hours per week self employed. I just feel like I'm floating around unfortunately.

Skye96 · 05/06/2020 17:34

Not a gap in the market as such, but have you thought about online TEFL teaching (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)? I've been looking into it as I'd heard that there are quite a few jobs out there right now, as so many language schools have had to close due to the lockdowns around the world. There's a really useful chart on i-to-i's website at www.i-to-i.com/online-english-teaching-jobs.html which sets out loads of different employers and includes the minimum hours you need to work for each - quite a lot are 10 hours or less. Wages are ok rather than brilliant (more if you have a degree, TEFL training and teaching experience) but it looks super flexible about the hours that you work, so I reckon it could fit around school hours - whatever they end up being.

louloukachoo90 · 04/08/2020 13:50

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KatGillespie · 11/10/2020 17:12

AaronT86 · 28/10/2020 16:07

PersonalisedGift · 06/01/2021 14:04

If i wanted to find a work from home opportunity, including mlm or network marketing, where would be the best place to look?

Workingmummyy · 06/01/2021 14:07

Just beware of the MLM mums lol

MediaevalMiss · 18/01/2021 16:20

I've been looking at proof reading and copy editing. There are some good online courses out there but generally the decent looking ones are about £500. Worth it I should think, but possibly tricky if you've just been made redundant.
I know a couple of people who teach English as a foreign language (TEFL) and the seem to do quite well (also need to do the course first)

sneakysnoopysniper · 09/02/2021 00:56

Have you thought of something like indexing - always in demand for academic works and can be combined with other home based editorial work.

www.indexers.org.uk/about-indexing/a-career-in-indexing/

eliseyBen · 09/02/2021 17:23

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.