Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

What are your ‘fancy’ SW meals?

Eachpeachtree · 28/04/2020 08:58

I’m after some ideas for ‘fancy’ dinners for DH and I to enjoy with a glass of wine at the weekend once the kids are in bed! Something that feels like a treat but is still SW friendly.
We usually do something like slow cooked beef with steamed veg, or low syn homemade tapas dishes to pick from.
It’s a pretty small repertoire so I’m desperate for some more ideas, to feel like we’re having a treat at the end of the week!

OP's posts:
Please
or

raisydenton · 28/04/2020 09:13

Depends what you eat during the week. I have more time at the weekend so do things that take a or longer. My slimming world favourites are dirty rice, Mediterranean Chicken(orzo bade), beef stroganoff, coconut chicken and lentil curry, spinach and ricotta cannelloni.

Other ideas spatchcock chicken and Greek salad and tzatziki, steak and slimming world chips. Chicken tray bake with houmous.

Have you got the Pinch of Nom books? The website is good too.

Please
or

Eachpeachtree · 28/04/2020 11:49

Ooh coconut curry sounds beautiful! Do you use low fat coconut milk? I could do that with a little dome of rice - I suppose presentation makes it fancier too!

We usually have standard family stuff in the week, spaghetti bolognaise, love the chicken orzo too, light curries, pasta, casseroles etc. It feels nice occasionally to have a romantic style dinner after bedtime! Maybe if I did coconut curry I could do some sort of Thai fish cakes as a starter too!

I’ll revisit pinch of nom as well, I do like their stuff!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 28/04/2020 13:19

Chicken supreme - the recipe on the SW site is for 2! Their recipe for peppercorn sauce is also for 2, so I often do it for a steak when it’s just me and DH eating.

Other fancy faves:
Chicken paella
Baked spiced salmon with green beans and herby mash
Creamy mushroom pappardelle
Jerk chicken with fruity Caribbean slaw

Please
or

raisydenton · 28/04/2020 14:49

It's from the slimming eats website and you can use half fat but I used full fat. It my new favourite. i also used raw chicken thighs

I think i want to come for dinner at your house!

You could always do a steak and a a side of a 'fake' dauphinoise and some posh veg.
Or some poached haddock and potato rosti and poached egg on top with some apsargus wrapped in parma ham.
I also did a food doctor cod and stuffed pepper - years ago that was quite posh had a quinoa filling.
Or maybe you could branch out and do a tagine

Please
or

Eachpeachtree · 28/04/2020 15:08

Oh I love tagine!
And veggies wrapped in Parma ham are a great idea, green beans are a favourite of mine too!

We’re not big fish eaters but rosti with poached eggs is lovely (anything poached sounds fancy I think), maybe over a beautiful piece of ham....

Chicken supreme sounds gorgeous - good with the fancy veg too! Thanks for the brilliant ideas!

OP's posts:
Please
or

raisydenton · 28/04/2020 15:50

Glad to be of service! this lockdown has reminded me that sometimes the simpler things done well can be nicer.

I think i'm so used to finding the quickest recipes that have maximum output that i forgot about doing the nicer stuff

Please
or

Groovee · 28/04/2020 16:21

Paprika Pork on the SW website recipes is lovely.

Mongolian beef. A bit faffy to prep but quick to cook. That's on two chubby cubs.

Also like bang bang chicken from the slimming eats website.

Please
or

Eachpeachtree · 28/04/2020 17:02

Thanks so much everyone - Mongolian beef sounds gorgeous, I’ll look that up! I forgot about two chubby cubs, I’ll have to have a browse through their stuff again.

@raisydenton exactly how I feel - we get stuck in a slightly boring ‘family food’ rut and now that DH and I are enjoying more quality time together we wanted to have a few ‘treat’ nights, without leaving lockdown a stone heavier!

OP's posts:
Please
or

pumpkinpieinmyeye · 29/04/2020 10:20

www.supergoldenbakes.com/one-pot-crab-pasta-recipe/ this is so quick and simple, but I think it tastes indulgent! Usually serve along side rocket or veg - whatever I have in really.

Please
or

DrCoconut · 17/06/2020 19:40

The curry book has some lovely ideas. You could put it in little plastic tubs so it's like getting a takeaway!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.