Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Would this be any better with slimming world?

Matleavemadam · 16/08/2019 20:22

Hi wondering if anyone would take the time to look over my days food intake and tell me would this be any better if I followed the slimming world programme?

Bfast: Porridge oats w/semi skimmed milk and half a banana
Lunch: 4 x Ryvita (multigrain) 3 x chicken slices and half an avacado scraping of lurpak on each ryvita)
Dinner: Small jacket potato w/tuna in light mayo, small amount of cheddar cheese and coleslaw.

Have logged this on MFP and I am over my allowance of 1,250kcal and I'm still hungry!
Feeling disheartened so would like to know is this an acceptable days food on slimming world and would I be able to eat anymore!

OP's posts:
Please
or

managedmis · 16/08/2019 20:25

You'd be better low carbing

Please
or

FiveNightsAtMummys · 16/08/2019 20:44

On slimming world you would either have porridge or ryvita crackers as a healthy b and only certain crackers are included, you could have others but would have to syn them. The lurpak would be high syns and you don't say the amount of porridge but it would only be 40g on slimming world. Avocado would have syns too. And you can have 2 healthy as one would be your milk, semi is 250ml which includes any tea and coffee you have. Cheese would be about 30g if its normal full fat. So generally it's ok but you'd need to tweak a few bits to be slimming world. Theres lots of information online so you could google before you decided whether it's for you or not

Please
or

Cary2012 · 16/08/2019 21:00

Slimming World is great, but it is low fat, regardless of healthy fat or not. I'm on 1200 cals a day. I don't get hungry, your mistake is not spending your cals wisely. So, breakfast, weigh the oats, no more than 40g, swap the milk for skimmed milk,
swap the banana for a handful of berries. Lunch: 2 ryvitas, 2 chicken slices, no lurpack. Ditch the avocado, add a hard boiled egg and unlimited salad greens, tomato, cucumber. Dinner: Large jacket, drained tuna, mixed bean salad. Top the potato with a low fat laughing cow triangle. Follow with a mixed berries fruit salad topped with sugar free jelly. Well under 1200, and more filling.

Please
or

Matleavemadam · 16/08/2019 21:21

Ok thank you for the replies I think I am understanding it more. Just hard to get your head around 'the rules' before you've signed up and £60 sign up is a lot. But I do need to re-learn some healthy eating habits as I would think nothing of putting Lurpak on my Ryvita or toast (I forgot I put it on my jacket potato too 🤦)

OP's posts:
Please
or

humblesims · 17/08/2019 12:23

There is virtually zero veg in that daily list. If you did SW you could eat a lot more food but most of it would be fruit and veg so you wouldnt be hungry.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 17/08/2019 16:12

Half your plate at each meal should be vegetable or fruit

As others have said one Healthy B and not two

Try looking through their recipes for syn free meals and make sure your plate is half full with vegetables before you dish up your dinner

Please
or

Groovee · 18/08/2019 07:06

Try adding in more protein and veg.

On slimming world you would fill up your plate on 1/3 vegetables like broccoli, carrots, cabbbage, or salad.

I often fill half my plate with vegetables.

If I have porridge for breakfast, I use frozen berries on top. Then would have soup or salad for lunch with a filling dinner in the evening. So last night I had spaghetti Bolognese. The spaghetti was wholewheat. Then my Bolognese was 5% mince, with carrots, onion, celery and mushrooms with pasatta and beef oxo cube, some garlic and oregano. Then filled my plate with salad. Added in the spaghetti then topped with Bolognese and 10g of cheese.

Would this be any better with slimming world?
Please
or

goingtotown · 18/08/2019 09:04

If you join a group it’s £9.95 the first week, then £4.95 every week (£4.65 for over 60’s)

Please
or

Choice4567 · 18/08/2019 09:09

Where are they charging you £60 for sign up? That’s outrageous!

Slimming world does work for me and I feel like you’d be able to eat more than you’ve listed here. As others have said though you do have to be a bit careful with weighing and measuring a few things

Please
or

roughtyping · 18/08/2019 09:32

It took me a long time to get behind SW but it's really worked well for me. It takes a while to 'get it' but it's clicked and I know what to do now. I like it better than calorie counting as I don't get The Fear that I used to get when I was nearing 1200cal as I can always have speed/free foods if I'm hungry.

You have 2 Healthy Extra As each day (calcium - milk, cheese) - these are measured
1 Healthy Extra B (fibre - porridge, bread etc - measured as above)
As much speed food as you want (most fruits and veggies but notable exceptions are bananas, pineapple, mango)
'Free' food in moderation - pasta, rice etc
5-15 'Syns' a day (fat)

As people have stated above the idea is to fill your plate with at least 1/3 'speed' food at every meal.

I was so sceptical and I still really don't like the term 'Syns' but it's worked really well for me and it's easy to follow. And I don't get that panicky feeling about running out of calories.

Please
or

Groovee · 18/08/2019 09:35

@Choice4567 online they charge upfront for joining for 3 months.

Please
or

DieCryHate · 18/08/2019 12:23

If you jeep an eye out for adverts for discounted SW joining fee m, usually in the rubbish weekly magazines, it offers a decent amount off the online version as well as the groups. I joined 3 weeks ago and it was £15 cheaper with the discount code and includes the SW magazines which are great for recipes. I think I paid £50 for 3 months membership including the magazines. It's cheaper if you don't have the magazines.

If you just want SW recipes without joining officially try two chubby cubs and pinch of nom. Lots of recipes you could use, for all meals plus snacks. There's some great stuff on there.

Please
or

Morgan12 · 18/08/2019 12:28

Honestly I would just up your calories to 1400-1600 a day. Get a Fitbit and do 10,000 steps.

SW is just a more complicated way of calorie counting. But more restrictive.

Please
or

SteadyAreYouReady · 18/08/2019 12:30

Tbh the syns system is bizarre ...
I would recommend RH fitness. You’ll find them on Facebook and they are great support

Please
or

Choice4567 · 18/08/2019 13:14

@Groovee oh goodness do they? Oh! Well at least it’s for 3 months I suppose, I thought someone was charging a £60 sign up fee!

Please
or

shinynewapple · 18/08/2019 16:12

To make that day 'free' on slimming world , the porridge with banana is fine but you could have a whole banana and some raspberries too.

You could have a large jacket potato, the tuna mayo with lite mayo is fine (you would need to count a couple of suns for the mayo) add some chopped pepper and sweet corn to the tuna mayo mix and have a green salad on the side.

The ryvita lunch doesn't work if you've had porridge for breakfast , although you could have ryvita fir lunch if you had fruit and fat free Greek yoghurt for breakfast.

A suggested lunch using chicken would be home made pasta salad with fat free dressing, add some chopped salad items and green leaves to serve. Or you could just have a larger portion of chicken with a mixed salad. You don't HAVE to have pasta / potatoes with every meal on SW despite what a lot of its detractors believe - it's just that most people prefer to and it's allowed as long as you eat to appetite rather than stuffing your face.

Alternatively you could have the jacket with tuna mayo for your lunch and a cooked chicken dinner with new potatoes and loads of veg for your evening meal.

You could also snack on fruit and have a small chocolate bar or glass of wine as a treat.

It's basically low fat, bread and cereal is limited but you can eat lean meat, fish, potato. rice and pasta to your appetite but at least one third of your plate needs to be salad or carb free veg.

Please
or

Matleavemadam · 18/08/2019 22:18

Wow lots of advice, thanks everyone.
Yes I meant £60 to sign up online for 3 months, I don't have a meeting near me so online is the only option. My plan is to give it ago with the advice I have been receiving on here and researching online for one week to see if its going to work for me then sign up after the week is up if I'm getting the hang of it.
Have had a look at pinch of nom and the recipes look lovely but they have said they aren't allowed to include the slimming world info anymore such as how many syns etc, but I guess wants you get to grips with it you can figure it out for yourself.

OP's posts:
Please
or

shinynewapple · 19/08/2019 07:47

Yes you can give it a try for a couple of weeks using the menu plans on the website and in the magazine.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.