My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Site stuff

We need your thoughts for BBC Breakfast...

54 replies

CatherineMumsnet · 09/04/2008 14:43

Hi all, the lovely Carrie has been called to the sofa on BBC Breakfast tomorrow morning to talk about this news article and we wanted to get your thoughts on smacking. Is it something you would never do or do you think this couple were treated unfairly?

OP posts:
Moomin · 09/04/2008 18:56

and smacking in the way this couple describe it is a pre-meditated, agreed form of discipline, which also seems as wrong to me as the volatile and impulsive violence that a loss-of-temper smack might be. What kind of message is this sending to children of this couple (birth or not), that they can calmly and coldly approach the child and give them warning "I am going to hit you now". It actually turns my stomach. There are many many more effective ways of teaching a child right from wrong.

PortAndLemon · 09/04/2008 18:59

I agree that SS were right, for reasons already given.

Rowlers · 09/04/2008 19:09

These parents must be spectacularly stupid to think that they have been hard done by.
The right decision was made, thankfully.
People who not only admit to smacking their own child, think that somehow that is acceptable and that they will be able to smack their own child when they lose their temper but not a fostered child if / when he / she misbehaves should not be fostering at all.
It's shocking that not only do they believe they are right, but they believe it so much that they have gone to such publicity seeking lengths to corroborate their dim-witted views.
Shame on them.

Rowlers · 09/04/2008 19:12

Just noticed the smacking is not borne of lost temper but is a pre-meditated from of discipline.
Horrid.
Do they have special canes for the purpose I wonder?
Horrid horrid horrid.
Ugh.

Fullmoonfiend · 09/04/2008 19:16

Poor bloody couple - for not realising how wrong they are!

carriemumsnet · 09/04/2008 22:38

Hi all

Thanks so much for your feedback. After all that BBC breakfast decided they didn't need me after all, but thanks again for the speedy response.

Cheers
Carrie

RTKangaMummy · 09/04/2008 22:42

oh dear carrie

on the other thread we were just talking about you going on

WatsTheStory · 09/04/2008 22:43

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

cornsilk · 09/04/2008 22:45

You could have done her make-up Wats.

WatsTheStory · 09/04/2008 22:46

Message withdrawn

cornsilk · 09/04/2008 22:54

Do you have one of those big dolls head things to practise on till next time?

WatsTheStory · 09/04/2008 22:55

Message withdrawn

cornsilk · 09/04/2008 23:02

Cn you make me look like Mrs Doyle from Father Ted?

WatsTheStory · 09/04/2008 23:04

Message withdrawn

cornsilk · 09/04/2008 23:05

Fantastic! Can go to bed in peace.

CorrieDale · 10/04/2008 08:29

Well, I've just seen the GMTV coverage of this in which the cosy couple explained that they are talking about a small smack on the leg in accordance with English law, and not even administered often. The chap from the fostering association was unimpressed but, as you may imagine, the reaction from the sofa was entirely sympathetic to the couple, and the interview concluded with the hope that right would be done.

BBBee · 10/04/2008 08:33

has it been on yet?

cornsilk · 10/04/2008 12:24

Yes I saw it, they said they were going through a complaints procedure to try to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to other couples like them. The man from the fostering agency explained really clearly why they could not smack their child and foster but they were adamant they were being hard done by. Interestingly they didn't mention the bit about it being in line with the bible.

Freckle · 10/04/2008 12:36

I saw the BBC coverage and they obviously had been reading this thread and decided to ditch poor Carrie in favour of Stephanie Calman. Who admitted that she had smacked her children but didn't believe in it because it didn't work - not because it was demeaning or anything else.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the possible conflict within their own child if they are allowed to foster and she is smacked for misdemeanours but the foster child isn't.

MissPaulaYates · 10/04/2008 12:38

ridiculous

MadamePlatypus · 10/04/2008 20:28

I think the problem is that the media has seen 'smacking' and decided that its a good thing to have a debate about because obviously all parents must smack occasionally and who are the government to tell us what to do blah blah blah.

They seem to be conveniently ignoring that this story relates to children in care, and anybody with half a brain can surely see that a child in care should never be in an environment where smacking is a possibility - end of.

Piffle · 10/04/2008 20:31

My opinion is this...
your kids your decision
someone else kids.. NOT your right to discipline them your way.

That said I smacked my ds1 a few tiems as a toddler, realised d'oh this won't work, there are better ways to get things dealt with.
3 kids later not one tantrum, or major problem.
We deal with it somehow but not ever with smacking.
I am however fond of sometimes uttering...
You are lucky I do not smack, as that particular offence would have bought it..

You simply have no jurisdiction over others, regardless of what their parents have done.

UnderRated · 10/04/2008 20:36

"Their local council was so desperate for foster parents it said even single mothers and criminals would be considered."

TheCoderator · 10/04/2008 20:43

i saw tow woemn but i KNEW carrie wasnt one fo em

they were big
she is tiny

TheCoderator · 10/04/2008 20:43

oi carrie tutter ahd rood dreams about bill turnbull

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.