Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's shopping board. Whether you are after a new family car or a great new coffee machine this is the board for you. Share product recommendations and reviews here. Related: Discuss clothes and fashion on our Style and beauty forum. Check out Swears By to find the products Mumsnetters love and our reviews section to see the best baby and child products put through their paces.

Shopping

Bike for large 3 year old

9 replies

megg · 10/11/2002 14:39

Our ds loves his Kettler trike unfortunately even with it out full length his legs are too long. He's very tall for his age (1.10m approx.)and we really need a new bike. All the trikes are too small for him. Is he too young to master a proper bike? Dp doesn't want to put stabilisers on as he thinks it teaches them to ride a bike all wrong. When we go to Toys R Us (should be in the worse shopping experiences thread lol) ds always makes a beeline for the bikes and we have problems getting him out of the shop. Any advice please?

OP posts:
Please
or

grommit · 10/11/2002 14:51

I bought my dd a 2 wheeler with stabilizers when she was 2.5 - she is small for her age but took to it really well. Not sure how you can avoid using stabilizers...Halfords have a good selection

Please
or

Crunchie · 10/11/2002 19:27

My dd at under 3 had a bike and learnt within hours, it is much easier than a trike. However I don't understand the issue with stabilisers. If they are fitted correctly they dont actually touch the ground. They are fixed about 1cm up so they correct in case of a wobble, but don't prevent learning to ride properly. They also help for getting on and off when co-ordination is not all there at 3, they don't get all tangled up if they try to get off. Lastly it gives me confidence and I plan to raise them slowly over time, until they are not needed.

Please
or

zebra · 10/11/2002 22:07

DS has been riding a "proper" bike with stabilisers since 2 yrs 7 months -- he's quite fast on it, now (just turned 3yo)! We ride bikes a lot. We got DS's at a Carboot sale for £5, including stabilisers. I like stabilisers for the same reason I like swim aids in the pool; there's no point in not using them when you're child is too young to get by without using them. DS can't float without a floatation aid; he can't ride a bike without a balancing aid.

I think your DH is being silly about stabilsers. If anything, practise on the bike will give your child an edge in losing the stabilisers earlier, not later. I can remember when I was little kid learning to go without them -- pretty much universally not before 4yo, with nearly 5yo being more like average. I think it's a developmental thing, and doesn't come before a certain age. Like jumping; no matter how early they walk, they can't jump properly (2 feet off the ground) before close to 2yo, if not older. I'll be keen to see if DS manages to lose the stabilisers before 4yo, though, if anyone can, it will be my boy....

Please
or

megg · 11/11/2002 09:39

Oddly enough dp agrees with swimming aids he just has a hang up on stabilisers. Can't really comment on them myself as I never had them on my bike. Ds is really advanced for his age in his activities so shouldn't have a problem with a proper bike and whizzes round Toys R Us great, he even wants to wear a cycle hat. Talking of which anyone know where to find a child's helmet (Bob the Builder or whatever) in a young adult size? He's 57cm round the swadge. Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

bee · 11/11/2002 10:23

I would definitely get a Trailer-bike, also called a Tagalong - which fits to the back of your bike, has proper pedals, brakes etc but stops the child swerving off into the road. Quite expensive but the children LOVE them and their second-hand value is good when you come to sell it.

Please
or

grommit · 11/11/2002 10:24

Megg - I bought a Winne-the-Pooh helmet in halfords - they have a good selection. I also bough knee pads in Toys-R-Us

Please
or

JanZ · 11/11/2002 13:01

Re riding a bike without stabilisers, I remember my brother getting really upset, aged 4 when his primary school teacher told him he was lying when he said he could ride a bike without stabilisers... when it was true! Maybe that's why he was never happy at school - trust betrayed at an early stage!

Please
or

Demented · 11/11/2002 14:07

bee, whereabouts did you buy your tagalong? I would like to get one for DS1 in the spring as he is getting a bit big for the seat on the back of the bike.

Please
or

megg · 11/11/2002 14:22

Thanks for the advice everyone. Bee I wouldn't dare ride a bike round here the drivers are terrible they don't even stop at zebra crossings for you.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?