Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's shopping board. Whether you are after a new family car or a great new coffee machine this is the board for you. Share product recommendations and reviews here. Related: Discuss clothes and fashion on our Style and beauty forum. Check out Swears By to find the products Mumsnetters love and our reviews section to see the best baby and child products put through their paces.

Shopping

Dishwasher Door Disaster.

7 replies

3PRINCESSES · 27/07/2004 09:01

Yesterday while 'unloading' heard a small rattling sound from within the dishwasher, and the spring inside the door seems to have pinged off. Keep forgetting about this and going to open the door which then smashes down like a guillotine - so far only on my knee and shin, but quite possibly on one of the children's heads soon.

Last night DH was striding around manfully brandishing a screwdriver and threatening to take the door off and put the spring back himself. Am unpleasantly reminded of Alan Partridge and the trouser press. Does anyone know if this is a straightforward as DH seems to believe? Should we get a real man out??

I love my dishwasher. Along the rocky path of childrearing it has been a constant friend. I just want to make it better again. Please help... (sob, sob)

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemissbossy · 27/07/2004 09:25

Personally, there is no way I would allow my DH to touch it!! he's useless at anything DIY. If I need anything doing either I have to do it, my Dad comes over or I pay somebody. If your DH is quite 'handy' then I'd let him have a go. If it isn't, I'd recommend you ring a domestic appliance engineer a.s.a.p - I couldn't live without my dishwasher!!HTH

Please
or

3PRINCESSES · 27/07/2004 09:52

I wouldn't describe him as 'handy' exactly... Suspect most of his DIY knowledge comes from watching a lot of Bob the Builder, and I don't think DIY Guru Bob has ever fixed a dishwasher door. Anyone know of an episode in which he has, so I can show it to DH before I let him loose on mine?

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemissbossy · 27/07/2004 09:54

LOL, does that make you Wendy?

Please
or

3PRINCESSES · 27/07/2004 09:56

NO NO NO - I'm FAR too glamorous, LMB. Mrs Potts is more my line. All that elegant garden statuary...

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemissbossy · 27/07/2004 09:58

TBH, I'm probably more at the "spud" end of things .... well I feel and look like that today

Please
or

Kittypickle · 27/07/2004 09:59

I've absolutely no idea how hard it is to fix, but the same happened here the day before yesterday and there is no way I am going to let my DH anywhere near the door with a screwdriver I am going to have to sort something though as I also forgot about it this morning and nearly broke the cat's back.

Please
or

3PRINCESSES · 27/07/2004 10:02

Kitty - feel so much better just knowing I'm not alone in my trauma.

LMB, from now on thou shalt always be known unto me as Spud. (He's the only thing that makes B the B worth watching anyway)

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?