My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

You need to have been registered for 7 days to post in the Sex forum. Please don’t send unwanted PMs to other users.

Sex

Bleeding after sex, nearly every time

12 replies

Umbongoumbongo999 · 03/05/2021 20:22

In recent months DH and I have rediscovered our sex life after what had become a lengthy dry spell (maybe once a month). We are now having sex (of some description, not always PiV) around 3-4 times per week and its great.

However I am finding I bleed regularly after sex (and sometimes during) and it's really getting me down. My dh is 'large' and sometimes the sex is vigorous, but it can be slower and less deep and I may still bleed afterwards.

I was at the gynae 2 yes ago and had a cervical polyp removed. An ultrasound showed a small uterine fibroid but not something my consultant thought required treatment. I think I have a cervical erosion as bleed quite a lot at smear test (last one 2 years ago, all clear).

I dont know whether to go back to gp and ask for another referral or to just accept this is my life
This is not a new issue, just becoming more prominent as our sex life has picked back up. It makes me feel so down, and I can be spotting on and off for two days afterwards so basically just feel like I'm bleeding all the time.

I was wondering if anyone had similar experience, how you manage it on a day to day and whether you have had any successful treatment to stop this happening.

OP posts:
Whatliesbeneath707 · 03/05/2021 21:41

I think it’s definitely worth going to the GP to ask for them to check. It could be the erosion on your cervix or it might need a referral to Gynae. Don’t be afraid to say that you’ve been having sex more frequently as this is relevant. It’s worth being checked for the reassurance.

PinotPony · 04/05/2021 20:20

I would go back to the GP. Without wishing to scaremonger, PCB (post coital bleeding) can be a symptom of something suspicious.

SweatyBetty20 · 07/05/2021 06:51

I had a cauterisation procedure when I had cervical erosion - not had an issue since.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes · 07/05/2021 16:06

Cervical erosion as you suspect, and yes it can be dealt with by cauterisation quite simply. Good luck but do go and get it sorted out.

Umbongoumbongo999 · 07/05/2021 20:59

Thanks for the replies. I guess I feel like I am not legitimate to go back to my GP (womens health is indeed a feminist issue) as I am worried that I will just get fobbed off and my condition dismissed as "annoying but not medical".

In a way I think that explains why I posted this in sex rather than health. It is the sex that causes the bleeding, and I dont think the gp will necessarily think it is an issue, as it has an obvious solution- stop having sex.

OP posts:
Casmama · 07/05/2021 23:12

Any post coital bleeding, especially if regular, should be investigated. You must go to your GP. Please don't be put off doing so as it is important

SweatyBetty20 · 08/05/2021 07:03

Just reiterating what Casmama has just said - any bleeding after sex should be looked into by your doctor. My GP couldn’t refer me quickly enough - if yours doesn’t then ask for another opinion. It’s all done by keyhole surgery and has a quick recovery time.

Quailfortune · 09/05/2021 08:25

I used to when I had a fibroid and a well-endowed partner.

SteffieIUI · 09/05/2021 08:33

I had this with my ex who was well
Endowed. I have a sensitive cervix and tend to bleed after smears as well. I bled every time we had sex for 13 years sometimes during but mostly after. With my new partner of 4 years who is average size I've never bled, not once! I just don't think he's quite reaching my cervix. It doesn't have to be anything sinister but worth getting checked out.

Umbongoumbongo999 · 09/05/2021 19:23

Thanks folks, you've convinced me to go back to GP. I'm going to fill in one of the econsult forms, and should get a call this week to discuss. I actually thought it may be easier to be specific about impact on sex life and resulting self confidence in writing first rather than verbally to GP.

If I don't get offered any treatment I could always divorce my husband for a less well endowed man!

OP posts:
Umbongoumbongo999 · 09/05/2021 19:24

Thanks folks, you've convinced me to go back to GP. I'm going to fill in one of the econsult forms, and should get a call this week to discuss. I actually thought it may be easier to be specific about impact on sex life and resulting self confidence in writing first rather than verbally to GP.

If I don't get offered any treatment I could always divorce my husband for a less well endowed man!

OP posts:
littlebite · 10/05/2021 23:27

@Umbongoumbongo999

Thanks for the replies. I guess I feel like I am not legitimate to go back to my GP (womens health is indeed a feminist issue) as I am worried that I will just get fobbed off and my condition dismissed as "annoying but not medical".

In a way I think that explains why I posted this in sex rather than health. It is the sex that causes the bleeding, and I dont think the gp will necessarily think it is an issue, as it has an obvious solution- stop having sex.

Health is a Feminist issue, I must admit any problems down below I always mention how frustrating it is for my husband/partner it is too.
I don't know if it helps, but I'm willing to use every angle in the book to get the right treatment
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.