My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

If your DC is at a really kind, SEN inclusive, independent secondary with great teaching, please come and tell me about it. SW London and Surrey

33 replies

Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:14

Hi all, the title says it all. We're looking for a really kind and inclusive school where the kids support each other and the teaching is great. DC has mild dyslexia and possible ADHD but without the hyperactivity.

He needs support building strong friendships - he's kind and generous and can be taken advantage of or encouraged into doing something silly for laughs.

He's also easily distracted and can be impulsive when he's stressed or bored, so a school that can manage that behaviour well. I'm not looking for a school with a low bar for behaviour but also don't want a very punitive approach.

We live in Barnes and would want DC to travel independently. Ideally no more than a 45 min journey each way.

OP posts:
LadyCynthiaFitzmelton · 28/02/2024 23:18

Sorry - didn’t see the age. Contact them anyway for some advice.

CheeseandMarmiteToasties · 28/02/2024 23:20

Reeds, Cobham; Kingston Grammar School and St George's, Weybridge are all worth considering. Also Emmanuel School

Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:28

He went through to the second round for 3 of those schools but wasn't offered.

Dyslexia impacts his written work in exams and I think Reeds and KGS probably wouldn't have worked because he'd have the confidence knocked out of him.

OP posts:
Pinkiepromise789 · 28/02/2024 23:33

Would you consider State schools and putting the money into a trust fund for him? I wonder this sometimes as not every child is academic yet can be hugely intelligent with gifts and talents that aren't recognised by formal exams. Future entrepreneurs perhaps?

swlondo · 28/02/2024 23:34

Radnor House? Definitely all of those things. Claremont? Although a bit far from you maybe

Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:34

I think we need the next tier of schools but I'm not sure where to start looking.

I know of a few but they seem further out. Not many schools in SW London catering for this student profile. There is Radnor House in Twickenham but it seems to have a lot of unhappy parents this year.

OP posts:
Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:36

I'd love him to do well in a State school but the ones near us are over subscribed (he's 40 and 45 on the list) and there is only one that has a decent SEN dept. It's also massive and he would find that overwhelming. He's the kid that will turn up and chat to everyone, but then not remember a single name or face afterwards.

OP posts:
Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:38

Claremont could work. We know a couple of families there and they're relatively happy. Not singing from the rafters about it. I doubt they'll have space - they are oversubscribed now apparently.

OP posts:
Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:42

St James' in Ashford could work but again, I think they're oversubscribed.

Halliford - I don't know much about this school and think it's not on main transport links.

We've heard Hampton Court House has all sorts of issues which is a shame because it ticked lots of boxes.

OP posts:
FoxyLoxy25 · 28/02/2024 23:46

Can your current school offer any advice? Sometimes Primary Heads have good links with Secondary Heads.

FoxyLoxy25 · 28/02/2024 23:47

Kew House?

underthebun · 28/02/2024 23:48

Ewell castle but journey may not work.

swlondo · 28/02/2024 23:51

St James usually seems to have space and I know it offers a nurturing environment for kids.

What year is your son in now?

Sundial1 · 29/02/2024 00:05

Year 7 now and looking for a move in Year 8. Sooner if we find the right school.

OP posts:
QuiteAJourney · 29/02/2024 06:34

The Hall School in Wimbledon?

SheilaFentiman · 29/02/2024 06:48

Can you say what school he is at now and whether it is private or state? Give more idea why you need a move?

It’s a difficult time to move as few children will leave their school in yr 7 having gone through the year 6 or 11+ application process.

Tiredteacherxxx · 29/02/2024 06:49

St James - excellent and v caring.

roses2 · 29/02/2024 06:58

FoxyLoxy25 · 28/02/2024 23:47

Kew House?

I've heard this is a good nurturing school for special kids.

Coincidentally · 29/02/2024 07:04

Surprised you have not mentioned Ibstock which is close to you?
Many, many pupils there with similar needs to your DC.

user1494050295 · 29/02/2024 07:10

Sundial1 · 28/02/2024 23:42

St James' in Ashford could work but again, I think they're oversubscribed.

Halliford - I don't know much about this school and think it's not on main transport links.

We've heard Hampton Court House has all sorts of issues which is a shame because it ticked lots of boxes.

My friends son is there. Year nine. Thriving. The family are really happy

My friends son is there. Year nine. Thriving. The family are really happy

At HCH

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FoxyLoxy25 · 29/02/2024 07:35

Ibstock would be a disaster. Their pastoral care is poor and despite now having an SEN department it is not one I would have confidence in. They repeatedly mess up students’ access arrangements for exams for example.
There is a lot of low level bullying going on too that school don’t want to know about. Teaching is weaker than it used to be with little in the way of marking and feedback which is not helpful as you approach public exams and the English results in particular were dreadful last summer. A dyslexic child needs a strong and positive English teacher who can help them access the curriculum in creative ways.
They also insist Y7 study 4 languages which is a nightmare for dyslexic children. Their inflexibility on things like this is really frustrating.
Staff also seem quite unhappy right now which feeds into their interactions with pupils.
A new Head could turn things around I’m sure but the current one just isn’t working. We moved on.

Paradiddlediddle · 29/02/2024 07:38

Kingswood House in Epsom?
Halliford has a really nice reputation locally as being supportive and nurturing.

deuxgarcons · 29/02/2024 07:42

My DS went to St James in Ashford. Really lovely and nurturing school. Lovely group of boys across all year groups. At the time they were pioneering in things like mindfulness etc. good train links from Barnes (same line as us) and train full of SJ boys! In terms of academics my DS year group did really well with some great uni's.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.