Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Access a Mumsnet exclusive 50% off discount from Your Favourite Teacher for all your home learning needs.

Are grammar schools an option in Warrington?

Needaholidayplease · 18/12/2021 13:39

Anyone from Warrington/Cheshire here? We're in South Warrington, so out of catchment area for the Altrincham grammars, but I wondered how often kids from outside of area get a place? Can't afford to move to alty!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mushrooms0up · 18/12/2021 13:43

If you’re catholic you might be ok with Loreto / Ambrose. We had a few girls travel in from Warrington (this was about 15 years ago so things might have changed!). All the ones who travelled had gone to be prep though…

All the other Trafford grammars I think you would very much struggle

Please
or

Mushrooms0up · 18/12/2021 13:44

Could you move to somewhere like Sale or stretford? Much cheaper than Altrincham and in the catchments

Please
or

happytoday73 · 18/12/2021 13:46

If you read the entrance criteria for grammars incredibly bright children get in no matter where they live.... Ie top 10 scores....
If your child is that bright you are sorted... Otherwise I don't think you have any chance at all... Very tight catchments last few years even for kids within Trafford.

Please
or

Needaholidayplease · 18/12/2021 13:47

That's good to know, thanks. Think a move back into Manchester would be ruled out, plus I really do like living here (Stockton heath). But but concerned about Bridgwater being the default, as it's so huge

OP's posts:
Please
or

crimsonlake · 18/12/2021 13:59

My son's went to Bridgewater, enjoyed it and did very well. I am assuming your child is already in a local primary.There are some good private schools in Liverpool.

Please
or

Africa2go · 20/12/2021 15:48

@happytoday73

If you read the entrance criteria for grammars incredibly bright children get in no matter where they live.... Ie top 10 scores....
If your child is that bright you are sorted... Otherwise I don't think you have any chance at all... Very tight catchments last few years even for kids within Trafford.

That's not correct.

Not sure about Urmston & Stretford but Sale, Altrincham Girls and Altrincham Boys definitely don't have a "Top 10" category so its not true that bright children get in no matter where they live.

Those 3 schools have catchment areas and very few children are now offered outside of the catchments (certainly AGGS generally doesn't go out of the catchment at all). OP if you read the admissions policies, it's all set out there.
Please
or

admission · 20/12/2021 17:18

Not sure what you mean by the school being so huge. It is a large school but is split onto two sites and is certainly no bigger in total than many other schools -including grammar schools in Altrincham.
If you are talking about Bridgewater being part of a MAT then you need to reconsider the school as a separate entity rather then a constituent school in the multi academy trust

Please
or

happytoday73 · 20/12/2021 22:00

@africa2go yes you are right it's just St ambrose, Urmston and Stretford that take top scores.. The latter 2 take top 20.

But either way getting into them would be incredible difficult considering just how many kids don't get into the grammars anyway that are local.

Please
or

Chatty987 · 12/01/2022 22:10

I sympathise as Warrington has some lovely areas and affordable decent homes but we were put off moving there due to lack of private or grammar. Having said that..there are school buses that go to from Stockton Heath/Grappenhall/Lyme to Manchester Grammar and Manchester High (perhaps others but not sure). Look into bursaries/scholarships for those school.

Please
or

Fchoi88 · 16/05/2022 09:04

Hi , I am considering to move to live in Warrington and is considering to buy a new build there. I have not been there before with little knowledge about it and just researching on the web. It seems Great Sankey, Appleton and Grappenhall are among some recommended locations. However, I have also seen some comments of these areas which put me to a bit reservation and I am hoping someone here who have been living in these areas or have good knowledge of these area can offer some help/experience advice if I should consider which location or if other near good places than Warrington . Below are some hearsay which concerns me: 1. These three areas are under flight paths of Liverpool airport or Manchester airport and are subject to frequent and loud plane noises. I am not sure if any or all these areas are having loud plane noises 2. There is a new build development in Appleton but is about 3mins drive from HM Prison Thorn Cross, should this be a concern as I saw comments not too good to live near prison as there are different sorts of issues such as prison drug trafficking and abscondment. 3. Is Grappenhall is better location than Appleton? 4. Is Northern part of Great Sankey near to the Omega project site a good location to consider as there a quite many new builds going on there ? 5. Someone suggest Lowton to me but I have no idea of it as well, any comment of this ? Thx.

Please
or

Needaholidayplease · 19/05/2022 10:49

Fchoi88

Hi , I am considering to move to live in Warrington and is considering to buy a new build there. I have not been there before with little knowledge about it and just researching on the web. It seems Great Sankey, Appleton and Grappenhall are among some recommended locations. However, I have also seen some comments of these areas which put me to a bit reservation and I am hoping someone here who have been living in these areas or have good knowledge of these area can offer some help/experience advice if I should consider which location or if other near good places than Warrington . Below are some hearsay which concerns me: 1. These three areas are under flight paths of Liverpool airport or Manchester airport and are subject to frequent and loud plane noises. I am not sure if any or all these areas are having loud plane noises 2. There is a new build development in Appleton but is about 3mins drive from HM Prison Thorn Cross, should this be a concern as I saw comments not too good to live near prison as there are different sorts of issues such as prison drug trafficking and abscondment. 3. Is Grappenhall is better location than Appleton? 4. Is Northern part of Great Sankey near to the Omega project site a good location to consider as there a quite many new builds going on there ? 5. Someone suggest Lowton to me but I have no idea of it as well, any comment of this ? Thx.

We are in Appleton, and neither Appleton or grappenhall have significant plane noise.
Appleton is a larger area than Grappenhall and goes all the way from Stockton heath right down to stretton. Grappenhall has an 'old' village part and also incorporates other roads down to the manc ship canal. Both are really nice, family areas. Grappenhall village has a lot of charm, and parts of Appleton around the golf course are really fancy. The new builds tend to be around grappenhall heyes and down to stretton/ Appleton thorn. Have never heard of any trouble with the prison there, although we don't live that end. I'm not sure it would be an issue though, plenty of people live round there.
Primary schools are good in both areas.
Hope this helps!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fchoi88 · 28/05/2022 23:57

Thanks Needaholidayplease for the information. It really helps. I've noticed there are new builds developments in Appleton Thorn by DWH and in Grappenhall Heyes by Rowlands, any comments which location is better in terms of convenience as it seems may take ~ 12-15mins drive for both locations to supermarkets and rail station from google map for daily living and travel to work by train ? I have no idea about DWH and Rowlands house quality as I have never buy a house before, any comment which one I should consider more in terms of developer quality and location ?

Please
or

Fchoi88 · 29/05/2022 00:00

And any aspect or area I should be alerted if living in Appleton Thorn and Grappenhall Heyes ?

Please
or

chocolatenutcase · 29/05/2022 11:09

@Needaholidayplease my 3 have gone to Bridgewater and have done well. It's a large comprehensive with all the benefits and difficulties that brings. My eldest was really well supported and did extremely well. My middle one loved the performing arts and loved school. My DS was a bit wayward in 7-9 but school has always been encouraging and I've got fingers crossed for GCSEs this summer. Because there are limited grammar options, there isn't really a brain drain so the top sets are similar to grammar school sets. A well motivated child with a good work ethic and supportive parents will do well there. The advantage of staying local is their friends are local so no lengthy trips to the other side of Alty to meet friends and they can be independent about attending after school clubs or local activities.
Yes it is a big school but lower site from Sept 22 will only have years 7&8 on it so no "big kids" around. Then in year 9 they will move to upper site for 3 years. It means when they are little and start high school they are quite protected.

The down sides. Not all subjects are setted so there is a mix of behaviour but English maths and languages are set from year 7. Ive found some teachers a bit lazy and some haven't 'got' my DS labelling him as lazy. But you get lazy teachers in grammar schools. Other teachers have been inspirational. The music department is a disappointment and I say this as all my kids were musical. However I think the issue is the feeder primary schools who offer little to no music tuition.
And where there have been gaps I've paid for private tutoring which is probably cheaper than the bus to Altrincham every week.

No where is perfect but Bridgwater is fine.

Please
or

Needaholidayplease · 01/06/2022 19:04

@chocolatenutcase thanks so much, it's really good to hear this perspective. Originally from a small town so large schools just automatically scare me a bit!

@Fchoi88 there's not much in it area wise- Appleton thorn is a bit closer to get onto the motorways, and is more of a proper village- grappenhall heyes is kind of a big sprall of housing developments, so it just depends what you're looking for. Grappenhall walled gardens are lovely. All are only five mins drive from Stockton heath and a bit further into Warrington town centre

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fchoi88 · 02/06/2022 07:07

Thanks Needaholidayplease for your add’l info.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.