Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Access a Mumsnet exclusive 50% off discount from Your Favourite Teacher for all your home learning needs.

King's high or Rugby school?

Nc574mn · 27/11/2021 14:57

Hi does anyone have any experience of either of these schools?

For yr 7 entry so would be bilton Grange then Rugby.

For confident all rounders but currently at large state primary.

King's is 10 minutes away, Rugby 30 so journey is a consideration.

Thanks for any info

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dancingdreamer · 30/11/2021 07:35

I think Kings has vastly improved since being on the Warwick School site. It has a fantastic new building and you get the benefit for girls of a single sex education but with interaction with the boys in plays etc. A lot of girls I know who joined Kings at senior school struggled to settle and didn’t thrive there. The majority of girls come from Warwick Prep and they found it hard to break into the existing cliques.

Rugby is an amazing school and children start from a range of schools. The house system helps builds friendships. It offers so much more for a child in terms of pastoral care, co-curriculars, sport etc. However it is set up as a boarding school which means longer days, Saturday commitments etc. Personally, Rugby is where I would choose. Otherwise do what some of my friends did and send to Kings until 16 and then boarding at Rugby or elsewhere at 6th form.

Please
or

Nc574mn · 30/11/2021 18:47

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I think your experiences reflect what I've heard locally too. I am worried about integrating into kings, although we do have several friends already there.

Rugby does seem so good with the pastoral care, just a lot of extra travel (and money) and would be less likely to have local friends.

There are lots of good state schools too but both kids are really into music and drama and the local schools don't offer much unfortunately and I'd ideally like them to have a school where they are with like minded kids and can play music together.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dancingdreamer · 30/11/2021 19:09

I don’t really think Kings has a great reputation for music. If it has I haven’t heard of it. Locally the other school for music iwould be Solihull. The music department is really active and there are some amazing music and drama productions there. However, depending on where you live I think the travel by car would probably be more than half an hour. I’m not sure if there is a bus. The train might be quicker and the station is only a short walk from the school.

The pastoral care at Solihull can be dire but they like DC with a strong talent in something so if yours are outstanding at music, they would thrive at the school. If they are average all rounders they would get overlooked there.

Please
or

Nc574mn · 30/11/2021 19:37

That's interesting, I hadn't really considered Solihull although it's the same travel time for Rugby.

I guess I'm weighing up an independent school that can do everything vs state school where I'll have to do a lot of ferrying and scheduling on top. So king's would be the easiest option, but it's a lot of money if they're going to struggle to fit in and not really enjoy it.

Thanks again for your advice

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mumsafan · 03/12/2021 12:20

How far are you from Bromsgrove? It is also really good for music. They have a school transport service for day children. (As do Rugby now as well)

Please
or

Nc574mn · 03/12/2021 19:19

Hi, thanks for your reply Bromsgrove probably 40 minutes so would be pushing it. In an ideal world they wouldn't have to travel too far and would have local friends.

I do like the look of kings but I am really not into the idea of high pressure, would rather they just enjoy school and get to try lots of different things.

We currently do state plus lots of activities, and could continue although this is like a second job for me and reduces my working hours & salary so not completely 'free'.

It's just that state schools have v little arts provision so they miss out on the fun of playing in orchestras etc in school and being with like minded kids. Obviously not the biggest problem in the world, but eldest has real talent and feel responsible for nurturing it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dancingdreamer · 08/12/2021 19:53

I don’t think Kings is high pressure. Not compared to schools like KEHS in Birmingham or some of the grammar schools anyway! I have to say that if you want the extra curricular, however, you won’t beat a boarding school like Rugby.

Bromsgrove is a lovely school (and in my opinion a better all round school than Solihull) but I would say that the music is stronger at Solihull.

Please
or

Nc574mn · 09/12/2021 12:27

Thanks that's good to know re pressure, I agree about the grammar schools which is why we won't put in for them.

I think you're right, it just comes down to whether we go for essentially a boarding school but they come home to sleep or a day school where the extra curricular isn't as comprehensive.

Thanks again for your reply

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dancingdreamer · 09/12/2021 21:32

Personally in your situation, I would do Kings at 11, register for Rugby at 13 and see how your DD settles and whether you like Kings. She can then transfer at 13 if you think Rugby would be better or you could wait until 6th form then transfer her to full boarding at Rugby or another full boarding school (Marlborough if your DD likes music), Financially this is easier and it’s in 6th form that I think a DC gets the most out of a boarding school and all the extras it offers. That worked for my DD. Hope that helps.

Please
or

Nc574mn · 10/12/2021 16:17

Thank you that sounds like a good plan

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kayeeg · 18/05/2022 18:19

I was wondering if @Nc574mn decided on King’s or Rugby (Bilton) in the end for your DD, and if there’s any afterthoughts please.

Please
or

Nc574mn · 19/05/2022 13:57

Still undecided, also thinking about grammar and state too. All my friends are so bored of me talking about it! Are you in the same position?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kayeeg · 19/05/2022 15:40

I am not quite in the same position as DD is only 2.5yrs! But I am in the sense that we are weighing up King’s High and Rugby, which will ultimately be where DD will end up if she doesn’t take an exam to a different system after primary. They both seem excellent but for different reasons, it’s quite impossible to decide especially for a toddler. My latest conclusion is one is more contemporary and the other very traditional… very generalised view of course.

Sorry I am no help!

Please
or

Mumsafan · 20/05/2022 16:18

Not sure where you are but have you considered Princethorpe? They do have a music provision, especially now that so many go there from Crescent School which is excellent for music.

Please
or

Coquelicot0 · 24/05/2022 09:39

Hello,

I attended both Bilton and then Rugby, so would be happy to advise. I received an academic scholarship to Rugby in 2007. My sister and I have started out own tutoring and consultancy business (been tutoring for 10 years now), and I’d be happy to offer you discounted rates (name your price) if you’re interested to discuss in more depth or need help with admissions etc. I have a lot of insight I can offer as I also attended grammar school so know the pros and cons.

We just launched our site, so honestly even if you’d like a free session to discuss in more depth, would be happy to oblige, if you could then pass on our site, details etc and get the referrals process going 😄

Offers there, feel free to let me know 🌸

Please
or

Kayeeg · 28/05/2022 21:51

Does anyone know if Rugby School has Saturday school?

Please
or

ad006 · 12/06/2022 19:13

Hi,
could you please provide the name of your website or pm me? Thanks

Please
or

Mumsafan · 12/06/2022 20:38

Yes they do lessons until lunchtime and then sports on a Saturday.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.