Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relationships

Book

5 replies

SpinningFloppa · 25/01/2023 22:51

My ex bought me a book for Xmas, it was some book about being more positive, didn’t really agree with the book as it wasn’t my kind of thing and it was just going on about being positive and I didn’t agree with the message in the book. I guess he was trying to say I should be more positive! but since then he has barely bothered to see our children so I’m not sure why he bought me a book about being more positive? I would be more positive if he was a better father.
lots of people said I was being mean about him buying the book as he was “clearly trying to make amends” but since then like I’ve said we’ve barely heard from him and he hasn’t seen the kids, so what was he trying to say with the book? Was it just a dig?

OP posts:
Please
or

Justmeandthedog1 · 26/01/2023 01:46

What’s the book’s title? Could he have mistaken it for something else or thought it was a novel? Or it could have been given to him and he’s regifting it, from remainder basket in Smiths, or just grabbed off the shelf in Tesco. I wouldn’t put too much thought into it, he doesn’t sound the thoughtful type if he’s not bothering with his children.

Please
or

SpinningFloppa · 26/01/2023 09:08

I don’t think anything my ex does is by accident I definitely believe he bought the book on purpose for me. He asked me if I had it before he gave it but I didn’t respond because I wasn’t sure what he was talking about. The book is called the secret. When I posted about him buying me a book on another site (I was surprised) I was told well he’s obviously changed/ making amends/ maybe he has read it and it’s changed his life so he thought you should read it… loads of comments about how I should “be more positive” like the book yet he isn’t a nice person so just seems a bit rich to get ME a book about how I should be more positive and a better person meanwhile he isn’t a nice person and I’m negative to him because he is a bad father. So I’m suppose to be positive about him no matter how shit he is? That’s all I get from it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Honey83 · 26/01/2023 09:18

I mean it is about positivity and raising your vibration to attract positive things into your life. But IMHO I wouldn't automatically think it's an obvious dig. It's quite a famous book so maybe he heard about it from someone. Clearly it wasn't your thing so if he doesn't know your personality better that he's an ex!

Please
or

SpinningFloppa · 26/01/2023 09:19

But that’s my point, shouldn’t he be the one doing that not me? I’m not the shit parent who’s abandoned my own children. Why do I need to be more positive or maybe I’m missing something!

OP posts:
Please
or

Honey83 · 26/01/2023 09:45

Definitely sounds like he's the one missing something not you!

He could be becoming more self aware if he's looking into books like that, but probably just heard about it and has no self awareness whatsoever that it could be applied to him. I'd just let it go over your head. But pot and kettle is annoying yes!

Please
or