Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Doing stuff by yourself

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 27/06/2022 09:17

To be honest I'm not sure if Relationships is the right place for this but I didn't know where else would be, either.

I have started doing a lot of stuff by myself. Not all the time, just now and again, because I like the freedom of not having to compromise, have someone complain about "are we going yet?" or having to be back for one thing or another.

Yesterday was sunny so I went out for a drive to a cutesy village and had coffee and breakfast whilst reading a magazine in a lovely coffee shop/bistro, a walk around and then on to the next place with a village green and duck pond, Sunday lunch in the local pub and sitting outside in the sun reading. It was so cathartic and peaceful!

Usually I am running around every day with work, my small business, gym and friends, and this made a change. I like to go around cathedrals, vintage fairs, away days to the coast or country on my own once in a while. I go to the cinema on my own and concerts sometimes if it is something that my friends aren't bothered about.

I'm worried I'm becoming weird!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thefroglover · 27/06/2022 09:42

you are def not weird. Doing stuff alone makes things simpler and easier. No having to change times etc to fit in with someone else or the activity goes on too long because the other person has purposely dragged it out. I have a friend who will go for lunch/walk/afternoon drink with me and purposely drag it out for hours on end as she is single, lives alone and has no reason (in her mind) to go home. Whereas I have DH & DC all at home waiting for me and wondering where I am when an hours walk turns into a 4 hour walk with lunch, courtesy of friend. I like to walk alone because of this and plus my friend's idea of a walk is an idle stroll, whereas I like to walk fast to up the exercise.

Go for it and enjoy it

Please
or

DandelionPocket · 27/06/2022 09:46

Not weird. I'm the same, I go to the cinema alone, get a train to little towns with antique shops, and a couple of times had a weekend away on my own at spa type hotels. My DP is the same, he goes and camps alone a couple of times a year with his bike. We need it for our own personal happiness. We do loads together as well, but sometimes nothing beats being on your own!

Please
or

FemmeNatal · 27/06/2022 09:49

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 27/06/2022 09:17

To be honest I'm not sure if Relationships is the right place for this but I didn't know where else would be, either.

I have started doing a lot of stuff by myself. Not all the time, just now and again, because I like the freedom of not having to compromise, have someone complain about "are we going yet?" or having to be back for one thing or another.

Yesterday was sunny so I went out for a drive to a cutesy village and had coffee and breakfast whilst reading a magazine in a lovely coffee shop/bistro, a walk around and then on to the next place with a village green and duck pond, Sunday lunch in the local pub and sitting outside in the sun reading. It was so cathartic and peaceful!

Usually I am running around every day with work, my small business, gym and friends, and this made a change. I like to go around cathedrals, vintage fairs, away days to the coast or country on my own once in a while. I go to the cinema on my own and concerts sometimes if it is something that my friends aren't bothered about.

I'm worried I'm becoming weird!

That seems perfectly normal. I go out myself often, my husband has his cars and motorbikes that he tinkers with or uses, and it suits both of us.

I had a weekend away on the continent recently, he’s going over to Amsterdam for drinks with a friend later in the week.

Most of the time we still very much enjoy being in each other’s company.

Please
or

BouncyBalls · 27/06/2022 10:07

Sounds bliss!

Please
or

fghj149 · 27/06/2022 10:12

You’re not weird. That sounds so nice. I’m introverted but don’t like being alone in public places, hoping this will change with age because I’d love to more things that I enjoy without depending upon others.

Please
or

IodineQueen · 27/06/2022 10:15

It sounds fantastic. I used to take myself off for country walks, into town for coffee, into London to visit museums and exhibitions etc…

I then found myself in an abusive relationship and lost a lot of confidence. I developed a complex about my appearance and now struggle with a sense of everybody looking at me and thinking I’m weird (not because I’m alone, but because I’m ‘me’ 😬). I’m working on it though, I took myself for coffee last week and will be starting therapy soon. I’m looking forward to reaching a stage of feeling free again.

Please
or

butterflied · 27/06/2022 10:17

Why would this be weird?

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 27/06/2022 10:21

I’ve been to gigs on my own, always found someone to chat to.
There’s nothing wrong with being independent, you never know when you might need it.

Please
or

MagnoliatheMagnificent · 27/06/2022 10:29

Sounds lovely. We don't do masses together really but are happy at home with each other. We do go to church together and have a lot of mutual friends there. He has his hobbies and I have mine and generally it's fine for us both!

Please
or

Tabbouleh · 27/06/2022 10:34

I do this all the time. I go out to lunch, for walks, to exhibitions and gigs and travel by myself. Only on MN is this considered weird.

Please
or

Watchkeys · 27/06/2022 10:37

Never worry about being weird. Only worry about being happy, and making sure you stay that way, so that you don't need to continually worry.

Please
or

Moonface123 · 27/06/2022 10:45

l think its really healthy, whether you are in a relationship or not to go off and spend time alone, doing what you want to do. As l have gotten older l am finding l prefer my own company more and more. l am quite impulsive and like to do things on the spur of the moment whithin my own timeframe. l am not afraid to let go of friendships that no longer add anything to my life, and that in itself is freeing.

Please
or

Littlebirdyouaresosweet · 27/06/2022 10:48

As I have no friends this is my normal op!!

Please
or

MrsSkylerWhite · 27/06/2022 10:50

Not weird at all. My husband has limited mobility and if I didn’t do things by myself, I’d do nothing at all.
even without mobility issues, we had different interests.

Please
or

Hbh17 · 27/06/2022 10:50

Of course it's not weird! I have been married for over 30 years & we often do stuff by ourselves - in my case, theatre, cinema, cafes, watching sport, weekends or weeks away on holiday. I think time alone is so precious.
We do also do things together, and I do stuff with friends, so have the best of all worlds.

Please
or

stayingpositiveifpossible · 27/06/2022 10:51

Not wanting a relationship at the moment and being a single parent I've got used to doing things on my own.

With a teen I find them very emotionally demanding so I often prefer to do things which don't involved adjusting to anyone else's needs.

So things like cinema (I've got cineworld card so I can 'escape' there anytime i want) - taking myself out for something to eat (break from housework).

I've thought about joining a group but can't be faffed with group dynamics really at the moment. Unless perhaps a book club.

Interestingly enough, on my jaunts out on my own I see many many couples out - who sit in a restaurant - eating out and don't say a word to each other! Either they are bored with each other, have nothing to say to each other - or otherwise I don't know, but I often think compared to being in a relationship like that - I'd rather have my own company!

No, it's not weird to do things on your own. Sooner or later we all have to - I used to travel on my own a lot when I was younger and if you are on your own you are forced to mingle with the local population - whereas in a group or with a partner you may not bother.

Please
or

DSGR · 27/06/2022 10:53

I do this loads, I consider it to be very valuable me time. My favourite is a day trip shopping and lunch out on my own

Please
or

adorablecat · 27/06/2022 10:57

It sounds like you are having a lovely time but why would any of that be weird?

Please
or

BadAtMaths2 · 27/06/2022 11:06

I used to always extend work trips (when they were a thing) so I could have a day /evening wondering around by myself somewhere new.

If I'm going off to visit someone I'll often build a day by myself in.

Please
or

SunflowerGardens · 27/06/2022 11:08

It's rude to boast OP 🤪 nah honestly that sounds brilliant to me.

Please
or

theruffles · 27/06/2022 12:32

That sounds like a lovely day OP. You're not weird for doing things by yourself and enjoying it. I like my own company and wish I had a bit more time to do more by myself like go for a coffee or a wander round the shops but I find it difficult at the moment with two very young DC. Perhaps when they're a bit older!

Please
or

GreyCarpet · 27/06/2022 12:53

Far from weird, it should be completely normal for people (esp women) to go and do things they enjoy.

I go to gigs alone, to festivals alone, out for dinner alone... I have 2 children and a boyfriend but sometimes I like to do things on my own 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

Fuzzyhippo · 27/06/2022 12:57

I have no friends or DC so I often find myself doing stuff alone. Sometimes I feel it would be nice to have someone to share moments with, get to go shopping with etc. but I really struggle with social interaction. Atleast it means I get to do what I want, when I want I suppose 😂

Please
or

Mary46 · 27/06/2022 19:25

I do alot alone. Sometimes times dont suit people. But I like company too. But sometimes I enjoy a coffee/beach walk on my own.

Please
or

User1406 · 27/06/2022 22:17

I LOVE this post. Not weird at all. It's actually rather inspiring and empowering. Everyone should have the confidence that you have to be able to do things alone.

It's nice to feel at ease in your own company.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.