Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Please share encouraging stories of life improving after a break-up

Coffeetree · 26/06/2022 19:12

I got back together with troubled, flakey "partner" with predictable results. Ended now.

Could really do with positive stories of life improving after a breakup. Just at the moment it's loneliness. Coffees with friends and pedicures or whatever don't really stack up to the good times with him, notwithstanding the flakiness and non-commitment.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sideorderofchips · 26/06/2022 19:33

Divorced my husband.

Kids and I live a free-er life where we don't have to tiptoe around someone and their moods. My new partner is amazing and gets on so well with my family and kids

Life is brighter

Please
or

User1406 · 26/06/2022 22:48

When I left a 5 year relationship, I did initially feel lonely. You are so used to having that person around that it's almost like you need to discover who you are without them.

It's such a weight off your shoulders though. My life got so much better after that break up, I had more time on my hands to focus on my own goals, hobbies, and spend more time with friends/family. I'm so much more independent now (it was young relationship so I kind of grew up with him).

It gets better, I promise.

Please
or

RoyKentsChestHair · 28/06/2022 17:42

I’m still waiting for it to get better so bumping for you in the hope someone else has a positive story! Even when you know it’s the right choice it’s hard

Please
or

DSGR · 28/06/2022 17:47

The love of my life and the man I thought I was going to marry dumped me. I was broken. Couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat. Getting over him was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. It took two years! But I was stupid and kept up contact with him - which only served to give my brain “new” information about what he was doing.
cut all contact - it’s the only true way to move on.
now I very rarely think about him and am happy with somebody else!

Please
or

Changes17 · 28/06/2022 17:56

I was dumped after three years with someone and I was very sad and also lonely for a while. I was in my 20s and after a year or so I went off and did a postgrad course – and met my now husband on that course.

When I look back, now, 25 years on, at the way my life might have worked out if we'd stayed together, I am very relieved. It just wasn't right for me – I'd never have quite felt able to be myself in the way that I can now. I'd also have been living somewhere completely different to where I do now, and I really like it where I am.

So I'd suggest it's a long-term thing – your life could have gone in one direction, but now it's going in another, and what direction that is is up to you. Are you happy with that direction or is there a change you could make?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.