Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our round up of the top pushchairs to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Newborn lie flat vs carry cot

Zibidee · 05/02/2022 21:08

Loads of strollers state they are "from birth" as the chair lies flat, but then say a carry cot is also available.
So is a carry cot necessary? I'm inclined not to get more stuff we don't need, but don't know how stable these lie flat chairs are for a newborn.
My baby is due mid May so also don't want to have to pad a chair out with lots of warm blankets which will be too warm for the summer.

So far I've found
Micralite GetGo
iCandy raspberry
Egg2 stroller (bit too expensive)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Marmm · 05/02/2022 21:26

I think its becuase if the handle of the pram unclipps you shouldn't carry them as they aren't stable same if the bass of the pram bit is soft. They aren't designed or safety tested for carrying.

Please
or

Changethetoner · 05/02/2022 21:29

Check the rules/recommendations around sleeping in prams. Is it safe for baby to sleep there? I mean long sleeps like overnight, not napping while walking or shopping. The mattress in a carrycot is possibly safe, whereas the base of a lie-flat pram might not be.

Please
or

Marmm · 05/02/2022 21:31

@Changethetoner

Check the rules/recommendations around sleeping in prams. Is it safe for baby to sleep there? I mean long sleeps like overnight, not napping while walking or shopping. The mattress in a carrycot is possibly safe, whereas the base of a lie-flat pram might not be.

Good point a lot of them say baby can't be left to sleep in them
Please
or

Zibidee · 05/02/2022 22:02

I wouldn't be leaving the baby to sleep other than if he fell asleep in it while out and about. I guess if he was sleeping while we ate out but that would only be an hour or two.
In the house he would be napping in a Moses basket or in his cot.
I don't understand about the handle unclipping issue. I wouldnt be lifting him out in the chair if that's what you mean?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Marmm · 05/02/2022 22:04

@Zibidee

I wouldn't be leaving the baby to sleep other than if he fell asleep in it while out and about. I guess if he was sleeping while we ate out but that would only be an hour or two.
In the house he would be napping in a Moses basket or in his cot.
I don't understand about the handle unclipping issue. I wouldnt be lifting him out in the chair if that's what you mean?

Yes that's what I mean. So on my pram the handle could be removed from the chair to get easier access but it had loads of warnings not to lift the chair up and use it as a carry cot.
Please
or

WalkingOnSonshine · 05/02/2022 22:05

We got the Joolz Day 3 where the frame of the carrycot becomes the frame of the pram.

I didn’t want a load of clutter/stuff, but it’s literally zipped up into a small carrier bag size in the cupboard.

We used the carry cot for overnight sleeping once or twice when travelling to save travel cot space, and it’s one of the few that are certified for that.

We’ll easily be using this pram until he’s 3, so it is great value for money for us.

Please
or

JustWonderingIfYou · 05/02/2022 22:08

I always prefer a bassinet. I had a lie flat, safe from birth pushchair but never used it without the bassinet until he was 5/6months. Even then he looked so tiny in it!

I think it's nicer for them to be in a proper cot when you are out and about rather than strapped in seat. Its much easier to get them in and out too. And if baby falls asleep you can leave them in there.

Please
or

Flittingaboutagain · 05/02/2022 22:10

I got a carrycot for my June baby and it takes up to 10kg weight which means it will last all through this Winter and worth every penny as baby is a late developer, isn't interested in sitting up and will happily lie in it for naps and as an overnight stay as it's truly lie flat and marketed ok for overnights. It was expensive because it is one of the longest in cm on the market but worth the money. Baby didn't like going in it until about 12 weeks though, before that was permanently pushing an empty pram whilst baby wearing!

Please
or

OtiMama · 06/02/2022 08:34

I think it's personal preference really.

I prefer the carrycot type as my son slept in it downstairs instead of a moses basket. I also think the lie flat type say the baby needs to be strapped in and I think it's quite restrictive when they are tiny and sleeping. We had an overnight suitable one too, so if we went away we didn't need another place for him to sleep.

That being said if you don't have lot of space then lie flat from newborn is probably better as they do grow out of the carrycot quite quickly and then you need to store it. Our one did collapse so wasn't quite so bulky.

Please
or

ForkedIt · 06/02/2022 08:41

We have the ocarro which is lie flat from birth; didn’t really pay attention to that as first time parents and bought everything as a bundle.
Baby had reflux and wouldn’t lie flat and so only went in the pram (the actual seat rather than the bassinet) at 12 weeks on the ‘ever so slightly sat up option’ and loved it.
On baby number 2 now - she is 4 months and never even sat in the pram. She’s not refluxy but again doesn’t like lying completely flat and I just find it easier to baby wear.
The (now) 2 yr old still likes to sit in the pram so it was worth us getting a good one but the bassinet was a total waste.

I know you said you aren’t planning on long sleeps anyway, but just as an fyi, not all pram bassinets are suitable for overnight sleeping.

Please
or

greywell · 18/02/2022 18:28

You can buy a cocoon quite cheaply- Bugaboo sell one that seems to fit other pushchairs. DD uses it on her Nuna. It's a good compromise, plus it zips up so the baby is unlikely to fall out.

Please
or

Margo34 · 27/02/2022 08:08

I didn't bother buying a Moses basket and just used to carrycot that came with the pushchair to keep costs down and not have excessive equipment. Baby had all naps in the carrycot for 6m, supervised. Night sleeps were in bedside crib.

Also didn't need to carry a Moses basket from one room to another either, crib stayed in bedroom and carrycot downstairs.

Worked well for us!

Please
or

Margo34 · 27/02/2022 08:10

Meant to add - ours is a lie flat pushchair but baby was much more comfy in the carrycot - you have to strap them in the lieflat pushchair so they are held in with the straps, you don't with the carrycot they just lie down and tucked in.

Please
or

Cuddlemuffin · 27/02/2022 08:14

We've never bought a bassinet for any of our three kids. It's definitely an unnecessary purchase. We bought a buggy that lays completely flat plus a universal cosy toes to keep them snug. You can also buy universal newborn supports to go around their head. Sheepskin liners are nice for summer as they are cosy but regulate temperature. My babies have all been quite tall so a bassinet wouldn't have lasted 6 months anyway x

Please
or

Bakingdiva · 27/02/2022 08:14

Like others have said, rather than getting a Moses basket, we used the carrycot from the pram for sleeping downstairs. We bought an optional stand for ours so it was raised up

Please
or

gogohm · 27/02/2022 08:45

Having the carrycot means you can lift it off usually and it's safe for sleeping in, as in sleeping overnight/naps. We didn't have a crib of Moses basket, I simply pushed the pram around the flat.

Please
or

Chocomelon · 27/02/2022 09:10

They should be in the carrycot from birth to 6 months but realistically at least 3 months

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.