Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our round up of the top pushchairs to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

What 3 wheeler???

Crazyone84 · 21/04/2021 11:39

I am in the market to buy a 3 wheeler pushchair. Current situation is I have a ickle bubba stomp and a 4 month old. I have a dog who will only walk in the woods (petrified of cars and roads) so am struggling with uneven ground in the woods and also thinking it'll be a more comfortable ride for baby and easier pushing up and down hills which can be quite sandy and stoney. I've been looking 2nd hand and seen Phil and Ted's, baby jogger and also hauck runner. What would you recommend that won't cost a small fortune but will be suitable for both dog walking but mostly for babies comfort and support

OP's posts:
Please
or

UnprecedentedPoster · 21/04/2021 11:57

I never see them recommended by anyone else, but I had a Phil and Ted's dot, which had great tyres, big enough wheels for rough ground and cattle grids, was relatively slim for when I had it in small village shops, and conveniently could be used in various configurations as a single or a double, or with buggy board. Was a bit bulky when folded, but we had a big car boot, and didn't bother collapsing it at home as it was out with us daily.

Bought it second hand with all the extras (buggy board, extra seat, connectors, sun shade, rain cover, snack tray...), for about £120 total, so you can get some really good deals on them.

I was never able to figure out why nobody else seemed to like their Phil and Ted's. I loved ours!

Please
or

UnprecedentedPoster · 21/04/2021 12:05

Mine found it v comfy too (always fell asleep in it!) Could lay flat if needed. If you've got a bulky rugby player of a kid it might be a bit of a squash, but tbh even my eldest would sometimes worm her way into it at the age of 5 still if I was carrying one of the younger ones and the seat was vacant... I mean, she was slight, but I can't imagine many toddlers get bigger than a 5 year old! Compared to others though, the seat did look very narrow... worth bearing in mind :)

Please
or

Crazyone84 · 21/04/2021 12:05

@UnprecedentedPoster funny you recommend the Phil and teds dot, saw one second hand this morning for £125 with 2nd seat attachment. What age did you use it from? Was it light enough to get in and out of boot. Space wise we are fine as dog goes on back seat so have the whole boot.

OP's posts:
Please
or

UnprecedentedPoster · 21/04/2021 12:11

My first buggy was a REALLY lightweight one for international travel (we were relocating around the time our first was born), so everything felt heavy after that! But honestly I'm not that big or strong, and I never had a problem lifting it. It's an awkward shape, but i think all probably are...

We used it from about 4 months, when our baby at the time was about starting to sit up independently. It didn't have much of a "newborn support" in terms of cushioning, but I added one of those fleecey buggy muff things (generic John Lewis one), so that added padding underneath and a nice cosy blanket. She survived (!), though I was careful about going over really rough terrain until she was a little more robust.

The tyres were so good at cushioning the bumps though. And although we got a few punctures over the years, they were very easy to repair.

Please
or

trevthecat · 21/04/2021 12:17

I had a Phil and Ted's. Absolutely loved it. Used as single and double.

Please
or

Crazyone84 · 21/04/2021 12:21

@UnprecedentedPoster thank you for the great information, sounds like this could work for me, especially as you mention cattle grids. We have so many around our woods and always a pain to get buggy through the gates. My 4 month old is small, only 12lbs but she is very strong, I can imagine it to be long until she is sitting up unaided.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Crazyone84 · 21/04/2021 12:34

@trevthecat second vote, sounding good so far

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cupoftchaiagain · 21/04/2021 12:52

How about the out n about nipper? Loved ours for years until it finally gave in after 4 children (not all mine!) and much off-label overloading. Easy to push with one hand on rough ground and also works on sand.

Please
or

Dora26 · 21/04/2021 13:03

2nd hand Phil and Teds here too - am a childminder and this is my second. A bit heavy to lift into boot - otherwise a dream!

Please
or

idontlikealdi · 21/04/2021 13:06

Mountain buggy if you really off road, I had the twin. I swapped out my bugaboo donkey after meeting someone on the beach with a puncture!

Please
or

MaidofKent78 · 21/04/2021 13:07

@Cupoftchaiagain

How about the out n about nipper? Loved ours for years until it finally gave in after 4 children (not all mine!) and much off-label overloading. Easy to push with one hand on rough ground and also works on sand.

This is what we had and we LOVED it. The only drawback was the position of the valves made pumping the tyres a bit awkward. But otherwise it was brilliant.
Please
or

purpleme12 · 21/04/2021 13:08

Baby jogger. Hands down
Miss that, really do
She still fits in it now at 7

Please
or

Mumdiva99 · 21/04/2021 13:08

I had a second hand P&T sport with double kit - used it both as a double and then as a single. Can't fault the useage of it when walking. But - it took up a lot of room in the boot of the car and wasn't the easiest to fold and lift in without getting mud on me - and it was heavy.

If I was having more kids I would use one again.
(I had other buggy's too - but for distance walking and off road the P&T couldn't be beat).

Please
or

FeistySheep · 21/04/2021 13:10

Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle - sooo lightweight and easy pushing. It is expensive, but if you're looking second hand maybe you'll get lucky...

Please
or

Aprilshowersandhail · 21/04/2021 13:11

Please be careful ddog walking with a 3 wheeler..
Ddog pulled me once and I did a 360 in broad daylight in a busy street..

Mortified doesn't cover it..
Blush

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.