Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our round up of the top pushchairs to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

3 year old and newborn - double or buggy board?

EnidClowes · 30/12/2013 21:14

Can I get away with a buggy board on my cameleon and a sling when I'm pushing the 3yo in a mcclaren. Am I being too optimistic?
I have been a bit smug thinking I won't need a double buggy at all but having slight (hormone crazed) worries...

OP's posts:
Please
or

pootlebug · 30/12/2013 21:17

I did sin

Please
or

pootlebug · 30/12/2013 21:18

Stupid phone. I did single plus sling with a 16 month gap - it was fine. Just get a decent sling

Please
or

Artandco · 30/12/2013 21:20

I would. We have a 15 month gap and did just that, same pram too. Now youngest is 2 1/2 we don't own a pram

Please
or

Aquariusgirl86 · 30/12/2013 21:27

I have a. 2.5yo and a 16 month old and now only ever use a single pram with a board and the 2.5 is fine with this arrangement.

Please
or

StandingInLine · 30/12/2013 21:31

I had my daughter when my son was 2 and a half months. I found out I was pregnant when he reached two and even though he loved being out the pushchair I needed it to keep him in one place !! I left it till last minute so I could establish whether I'd need it or not as kids develop differently but persevered with the walking - nightmare at first but definitely worth it as now he's just reached 3 and since 2 and a half he's been walking out the pushchair without reins by roads confidently. HOWEVER I still needed a double as even though he's good as gold around the shops he's needed it more since he's refused to nap so requires it more. Also ,lol ,if my daughter is in the single he likes to be awkward and insist he wants to sit in it so I take the double to save arguments. He rides his balance bike a lot more now as we usually walk the 20 minute walk to supermarket as even though I drive I like the fresh air but gets tired on the way back. I think if you drive a lot you'll be fine as your child will only be walking short distances so could probably live without the pushchair.

I use a baby bjorn miracle baby carrier with single (or without ,as son will walk happily if daughter isn't in a pushchair ,lol) around town. It's the comfiest thing ever. Daughters 4 months and has some weight on her but have never felt any strain on my shoulders. The carrier is designed to carry it on your hips.

Please
or

StandingInLine · 30/12/2013 21:32

Sorry ,not "IT on your hips " lol , YOUR CHILD on your hips ,lol

Please
or

EnidClowes · 30/12/2013 21:38

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll be fine won't I! Slight panicking going on here as I've not given much thought to what happens once the baby is here. We don't drive (should have said) so it makes a difference I guess but actually it'll be fine. I might start leaving the buggy at home for short trips to test the waters.
Thank you all!

OP's posts:
Please
or

januarysnowdrop · 30/12/2013 21:41

Depends partly on the 3 yo. Do they like walking? How much longer to you reckon they'll be needing the buggy for? I'd have thought you'd be fine, the only issue might be if when you want to stop carrying the baby, the 3yo feels put out that the baby is usurping their rightful place in the buggy!

Also depends on how long you reckon you'll be using the sling. I carried my dc for the best part of a year, so was fine with a sling and a Maclaren, but lots of people find their babies too heavy quite early on.

Please
or

Longtalljosie · 30/12/2013 21:42

I'd go with the buggy board - I bought one but hardly used it (3 year 2 month age gap) as by 3.5 DD was quite able to walk everywhere. Don't waste your money on a new pram...

Please
or

Panzee · 30/12/2013 21:42

My son was 3 1/2 and we didn't use either.

Please
or

EnidClowes · 30/12/2013 21:47

Last time I found the sling (Bjorn) hard work on my back but plan to try some proper ones out at a sling library.
Gah, hope it works out :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

HeinousPieTrap · 30/12/2013 21:48

DD1 was nearly 3 when DD2 was born, I didn't do double buggy or board - DD1 just walked everywhere holding onto the buggy.

Please
or

lilyaldrin · 30/12/2013 21:49

DS is 3.4 and I can't remember the last time I used the buggy. New baby is due in February and I haven't decided about whether to bother with a buggy board yet.

Please
or

jkklpu · 30/12/2013 21:50

You'll be fine. And remember, if you decide it doesn't work, you can always look for a double when your baby is less sling-able. My elder two were exactly 2 years apart and we never had a double, went on all London transport with buggy board. So it's doable if you want it to be. And I'm glad I never had a heavy double pram, let alone forking out for one.

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 30/12/2013 21:52

I have a gap of 3 y 1 m and I did have a double P&T from eBay. DS ( older child) was a reluctant walker at the best of times and still napped in the day when DD was born. I didn't use it much, but for getting DS to nursery on those cold, wet winter mornings (dd was born in mid October) it was invaluable. Handy for the odd day out too. DS is very tall (98th centile) and was far too tall for a buggy board to work for us. Anyway, I didn't use it loads, but the P&T was really handy for about 6 months, still useful for another 3 or so, then I sold it for £7 less than I paid for it after a year or so.

Please
or

Flibbedyjibbet · 30/12/2013 21:53

2 yrs 5 months between ours. Eldest is currently 3 1/2 and we still use our double a lot.

Youngest is another rubbish sleeper so need to walk good distances to get her to sleep, no way could we manage that with the 3 year old walking.

When we go to shops I have them both in the "tank" for my convenience.

I love my double and would have been lost without it.

Please
or

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood · 30/12/2013 21:54

with DS1 and DS2 we had a buggy board.
DS1 was 2.5 when DS2 was born
I knew I didn't want a double buggy so spent the majority of my pregnancy leaving the buggy at home so there was a separation between DS1 being in it and DS2 needing it.
DS1 was so proud to be on his new Skate board when DS2 was born, it worked really well for us. But DS1 had always been a good walker.

I could n't get on with a sling but have always had a delicate back.

Please
or

tunnocksteacake · 30/12/2013 21:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Tiggywunkle · 30/12/2013 22:44

Strangely most children seem to gain sensibility in a larger dose just after the age of 3 than you could ever forsee before they turned 3. I did use a double probably until the age of 3 and a half, but TBH I could have managed without one probably!!

Please
or

Longtalljosie · 31/12/2013 07:40

Also - does your child have a scooter yet? If they're not proficient, a few sessions in the park so they're able to scoot longer journeys will pay off

Please
or

Pumpkin567 · 31/12/2013 07:48

Yes I managed just fine! (With two under two)

I walked six miles a day with toddler in push and carrying baby. As baby got older toddler walked more or rode bb.

Please
or

addictedtosugar · 31/12/2013 08:17

We had a double with newborn and 2 yr old. It had been retired by the time the oldest was 3. I wouldn't get a double, but getting DD used to walking is probably a good idea.
The balance bike was great on the times we needed to go further afield, but we have some fab cycle paths which are completely traffic free.

Please
or

Rockchick1984 · 31/12/2013 09:41

I'm going to have 3 year age gap and I'm not planning on a double - I've stopped using the pram most of the time apart from supermarket trips (don't drive, so need the pram to carry the shopping!) and DS is fine walking pretty much everywhere. I don't want a buggy board either so I've got a pram where seat is suitable from birth so baby can go in the pram with DS walking, but if he gets tired I can pop baby into sling and he can jump in the pram. I'm also going to get him more proficient with his scooter, more for the speed of getting anywhere than any other reason!

Definitely find a better sling than a baby bjorn though - I used one with DS for about a month before he started to feel too heavy, didn't use any slings for a few months then went to a sling meet and it was like a revelation - I was still comfortably carrying him in a sling until I got pregnant (and he was 2.5 stone at that point).

Please
or

ContentedSidewinder · 31/12/2013 10:03

I had a 2.11 year gap, ds1 walked or went on the buggy board. I did sling Ds2 in a proper sling after a while, so mai tai and then an ergo till he was 2.6 when he just got too heavy and wriggly.

It depends how far you have to walk. We did a quarter mile walk to preschool nursery daily. He would jump on and off the buggy board when needed, but understood that the pram was for ds2.

Please
or

suntodayplease · 06/01/2014 04:15

I have a 2 yr 7 month gap and couldn't have gone without my double. DC1 still napped during the day but only in pushchair or car, the first day when I went out with both DC and they were both fast asleep was worth every ££! DC2 is now 13 weeks and we still use it most days for both, albeit DC1 does walk a lot but when tired jumps back in - after nursery usually.
I'm hoping to revert back to a buggy board soon as I preferred our original pushchair but I'm not letting go of the double just yet.
I only bought the double a week before DC2 arrived as I wanted to see whether I could get away with a sling. The only times we have tried scooter and sling for trips to the park etc I've found it a lot harder than I thought, even though DC2 is quite small, after a while they feel v heavy and I wasn't able to chase after DC1 as easily.
I would check out your options and stock availability (or second hand market) just before your due date and have an open mind about it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.