Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. Read our round up of the top pushchairs to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Are Babystyle launching a new type of Oyster

foolssilver · 27/07/2013 21:27

Hi

I could have sworn I read on a thread in here that Babystyle are launching a new lighter or smaller Oyster. After much searching I can't find the thread.

Can anyone help?

OP's posts:
Please
or

wallpaperaddict · 27/07/2013 21:29

I think you might mean the oyster gem!

Please
or

foolssilver · 27/07/2013 21:40

Thanks Wallpaperaddict Smile that is indeed what I meant. I have the small car issue and someone mentioned previously it is likely to be light and small so may be an option.

Thanks again.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wallpaperaddict · 27/07/2013 22:28

Glad to help! Smile

Please
or

Tiggywunkle · 28/07/2013 21:03

I have an Oyster Gem on test and its FABULOUS! I have to say as a result I have sold my Bee because the Gem is more sturdy, nicer to push, lovely to use, has good sized seats, has enough storage space for the average short outing eg changing bag and drinks and all round I love it. There is tons of information here about the Oyster Gem
The fold is tiny and neat. I must stress I have a pre production model but even so its fab. I found out the price this week too and its going to be a relatively small £229 which I have to say I think is worth every penny. The best thing about the Oyster Gem is that it can do everything you need from newborn to 15kgs in one neat package ie you can add on a carrycot or car seat adaptors. You get the choice to buy the Gem with the smaller reversible seat, or the larger hammock seat. However I much prefer the smaller seat and having my 3 year old parent facing. I think the Gem will be a really good choice for anyone with a small boot, small storage space or who needs to be able to carry a pushchair upstairs. I think the best thing about the Gem is that unlike a lot of smaller pushchairs, it doesnt feel flimsy - its seems quite sturdy to push.
Finally let me say, I dont work for Babystyle. A number of parents got Gem's to test. I know where 4 of them are, and all round so far the feedback has been pretty positive. I think this is a pushchair to watch. Its a real winner here.

Please
or

foolssilver · 29/07/2013 21:09

Thanks Tiggywunkle

Great to hear it is fabulous! I am on quite a tight budget too but didn't want to buy a really cheapo one so this might be a great option for us.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Elly1981 · 30/07/2013 07:06

Am v excited to hear the gem getting good reviews because I think it might suit our needs well. Just wondered if anyone knows how much it weighs and when they'll be available?

Please
or

Tiggywunkle · 31/07/2013 00:05

I know they are due in the UK at the beginning of September. As for weight...hmm...I will try and get it on our scales! Its not heavy though and its easy to handle.

Please
or

Tiggywunkle · 01/08/2013 15:42

Ok, we jumped on and off the scales last night with the Gem. We reckon the chassis is just under 8kgs (we also had the raincover attached in a small bag) and the smaller reversible seat unit is circa 2.5kgs. I am sure the hammock fabric seat wont weigh any more than that. So maybe a little over 10kgs?

Please
or

Elly1981 · 03/08/2013 06:55

Tiggywunkle, thanks v much for taking the time to weigh the gem, really kind. Am still interested although it's a bit heavier than I hoped. Will have to wait and see how small the fold is in real life and that'll prob be the deal breaker.

I'm looking for a small fold, light second pushchair for the car but parent facing. The only other one I've come up with is the bubble. If you have any other ideas!
Sorry for thread hijack OP!

Please
or

Ihateparties · 03/08/2013 09:11

I'm loving the gem, tiggy and I often have different tastes but the gem seems to be one where we agree. It's definitely staying in my car until school goes back and I believe tiggy sold her bee plus after she had used her gem a few times. If you want a one piece fold it's no good but for a small car it's brilliant. It feels really excellent for the price.

Please
or

Tiggywunkle · 04/08/2013 17:16

Yes I have sold my Bee Plus because the Gem does the "small pushchair with reversible seat and small fold" better than the Bee does. Its maybe not quite as refined as the Bee, but I was fed up of the Bee being too light ie wheels off the ground, having to pull it into line etc. It will fold with the small seat forward facing and with the larger seat on. It is smaller though really with the seat off as you can tuck the handle in and then nest the seat. Have you seen these photos or this one?
Its titchy!

Please
or

Ihateparties · 04/08/2013 19:06

DH took the gem out today, I asked him what he thought (the man has pushed a lot of pushchairs after all) and he said "it's good, it's got wheels, a seat to put the baby in, a handle to push it along with.. excellent" then he wandered off.

High praise indeed Hmm

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.