My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

neighbours' fence, where do I stand?

3 replies

GoingPostal · 27/04/2010 18:42

Asked my neighbours' landlord to look into repairing the fence that runs along the back of my garden / down the side of their property.

Landlord agreed as fence was in v bad repair, big gaps, quite rotten in parts. They said that I with the new fence, I would then have the rails on my side of the boundary - which I didn't object to. However the result is that they have replaced 2 fence panels - about 7/8ths of the fence across my garden - and left the last panel. So I now have a mismatch of fence, in terms of colour, condition, age and most annoyingly fence rails / no fence rails. It looks awful. They've also kept the old fence posts, which are rotting at the bottom.

I've asked them to look into changing the last panel. They said they just did what the fence company said was necessary, they are not interested in the aesthetics! However, they've said they will have another look.

Just wondering where, if anywhere, I stand on this? Anyone got any idea / experience of something similar please?

OP posts:
bibbitybobbityhat · 27/04/2010 18:43

For the sake of good neighbourly relations just replace the last fence panel yourself.

GoingPostal · 27/04/2010 18:52

really? just take down their fence and pay for a replacement myself? I've already taken down my trellis so they could to the fence, so will be paying for that to be replaced. also the landlord is an institution (church) so no personal issues involved.

OP posts:
bibbitybobbityhat · 27/04/2010 20:10

Yes. Its a tiny job (one fence panel), very cheap. Or you could go back and ask the church again. Or you could just leave it. Those are your three options.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.