My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

We have had an offer accepted on a house, and not only does it have a futility room

34 replies

bran · 13/03/2010 18:11

but also a pantry on a north-facing wall. [smug]

I'm completely confident that the second we move in there my indifference and ineptitude with housework and cooking will be just a memory and I will become a domestic goddess. My children will stop making a mess and breaking things and will be responsible and domesticated instead.

Don't tell me how delusional I am please, let me dream for a bit at least.

OP posts:
FabIsDoingPrettyWell · 13/03/2010 18:14

It is true. You will be all those things .

I so want to move.

Thediaryofanobody · 13/03/2010 18:14

Oh now thats just greedy utility AND and panty. I'm
I though I'd finally be an adult when I got married, had children got job etc now I realise I really felt like an adult was when I started lusting after kitchens, utilities and pantries. [blush}

bibbitybobbityhat · 13/03/2010 18:17

Utility and "panty" LOL! See, I think this is an occasion when lol is justified, but don't let BustleInTheHedgerow see this will you?

bronze · 13/03/2010 18:23
Envy
peggotty · 13/03/2010 18:25

A Futility room!? Was that a typo or is that what they are referred to on MN?

shonaspurtle · 13/03/2010 18:26

My grandparents' house had a pantry and a scullery.

Am convinced that my lack of scullery is the cause of my slatternliness. Or is it my lack of scullion?

bran · 13/03/2010 18:26

Thanks Fab.

I'm almost starting to get excited now. It is a lovely house, the first one we saw (out of only 4). I have to go back and have another look at it when we next go to Dublin as we only saw it once and we were convinced we wouldn't be able to afford it so we weren't really looking properly. I definitely remember the pantry but can't remember whether there was a shower in the master bathroom.

OP posts:
bran · 13/03/2010 18:31

peggotty, I think people who are more organise than I am have 'utility' rooms. Mine will almost certainly fill up with teetering piles of unwashed laundry and washed laundry going a bit smelly because it hasn't been hung out to dry. Or, rather, it would if I weren't about to metamorphose into a domestic goddess (it will happen).

I think MarsLady first coined the name 'futilty' room.

OP posts:
peggotty · 13/03/2010 18:33

Ah i see. In that case mine (should I have one) was definately be a futility room. Good name!

Thediaryofanobody · 13/03/2010 19:21

Panty

aseriouslyblondemoment · 13/03/2010 19:41

am very of the pantry
is it like that lush one nigella has where she has all her magic ingredients?

bran · 13/03/2010 21:03

The only Nigella series I've seen is the first one in her old house where the pantry was the under-stairs cupboard. The one in my new house is (as far as I remember) a walk-in with shelves on 3 walls and an outward opening door. Its outside wall is north facing and it's at the end of the futility room which is off the hallway of the back door. The kitchen also opens off the same hallway.

Also worth mentioning to make you all is a double-height hallway and a proper dressing room between the master bedroom and the ensuite.

OP posts:
aJumpedUpPantryBoy · 13/03/2010 21:25

It sounds lovely.
I have a utility room and I love it so much - it makes it so much easier to keep the kitchen tidy. Mind you, today I had to blitz the utility room as it had become squalid.

Sadly, I do not have a pantry!

McBitchy · 13/03/2010 21:30

I have a pantry - I love it !! It also houses washing machine dryer and 'maiden'

Is it therefore a Pantility?

aJumpedUpPantryBoy · 13/03/2010 21:35

Pantility sounds like sone kind of sturdy foundation undergarment

McBitchy · 13/03/2010 21:43

lol yes....sounds like a very utilitarian - re washable panty liner

ButterPie · 13/03/2010 21:49

I am very proud of my pantry (understairs cupboard) and garden room/library/schoolroom (porchy conservatory thingy).

Rented house, but it is actually very nearly my dream house, I love it so much! (an extra bedroom and a proper garden that isn't just patio, decking and gravel would make it my actual dream house, oh and a utility room!)

bran · 13/03/2010 21:51

at pantility.

I was just thinking today that, although it will be fab to have so much space, and a garden, some things will be more work. At the moment we are in a 3-bed flat so putting a wash on is something I do in a minute while grilling sausages or waiting for the kettle to boil. Once we're in a house with stairs doing the laundry will be a proper, time-consuming job.

OP posts:
McBitchy · 13/03/2010 22:05

Bran - sounds heavenly - you will love it!

rebl · 13/03/2010 22:25

I have a pantry as well, love it.

at the domestic godess thoughts.

BeautifullyScreaming · 13/03/2010 22:53

Lol at futility room, new apt nickname for ours!

We are due to sign contracts on our house next week - I love the easily accessible downstairs fourth bedroom with ensuite (playroom with bathroom sandwiched between kitchen and said room)

I can guide children gently in and relax....

HerHonesty · 14/03/2010 18:43

i have multiple panties! but only one pantry. and one utility. i am still no closer to domestic goddess. in fact, probably further away, both rooms are a complete mess!

BustleInYourHedgerow · 15/03/2010 09:56

Bibbity! Ouch!

(Yes I do belive it's justified in this case, even I had a little chortle at the 'panty')

Please contact me in future if you are unsure whether to use lol and I will let you know whether I approve or not.

Bran, I'm jealous. Especially of the dressing room. I too have great notions that I will be a proper grown-up and finally sort myself out when I have a utility room. Moving house next week and the washing machine and dryer is in the shed in the new place, I'm terribly excited! Hope it all goes well for you in your new gaff

bran · 15/03/2010 13:00

Thanks Bustle. We aren't moving for ages, not until the end of August. At least I'm looking forward to it now. We've lived in this flat for 9 years and I do love it so I have been a bit up and down about moving back to Ireland. It really helps much more than I thought it would that I love the new house.

The very best thing about the dressing room is that it's between the bedroom and the bathroom so I won't hear DH's nighttime wees. Where we are now the bathroom door opens in line with the head of the bed so that I can see (and hear) DH weeing without even lifting my head off the pillow. Lucky me.

I'm a little worried that HerHonesty has moved further away from being a domestic deity with both a utility room and a pantry. Perhaps I need a housekeeper too.

OP posts:
BustleInYourHedgerow · 16/03/2010 19:14

Everybody needs a housekeeper Bran!
Not everybody can afford one though;)

I remember chatting to you on another thread about moving back to Ireland, ages ago! Forgot it was you though. Did you buy in Dublin?

The house I'm moving to has an en-suite too...We haven't lived somewhere with an ensuite for years.

I had forgotten about night time wees. Humph.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.