My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Feeling quite disheartened

34 replies

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 10:37

We've been on the market for five months, and have had approx. 20 viewings. Our rightmove listing gives all room sizes, plus a floor plan. Yet still, time and time again, the feedback is about the house/rooms being too small. I'm getting really fed up of it at this stage. We dropped the price by 5K last week, and yesterday had two viewings. We have two more tonight. The couple that came around yesterday stayed for half an hour and seemed very keen. Today their feedback consists of: bathrooms too small. We are in a three bed detatched, with integrated garage. House is ten years old, and many of the new builds in the area are now smaller than ours, and more expensive. We've had one second viewing, and then heard no more. Really not sure where we're going wrong

OP posts:
ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 10:41

rightmove link

OP posts:
nickytwotimes · 26/02/2010 10:41

Don't thikn you are going wrong.

We sold about 8 mths ago (eventually) and we were completely overwhelmed by how ridiculous many people's expectations were. They wanted everything they had ever imagined, but for buttons.

We only managed to sell because we cut the price very drastically. We lost money, but for us it was worth it (and workable) because we were incredibly unhappy. Obviously, you have your own bottom line and that's that, but from our expereince, people are completely unrealistic.

It wasn't much better when we bought either - sellers acting like it was still the late 90s!

nickytwotimes · 26/02/2010 10:43

GOd, it looks great!

Similar to ours actually, but we only have 2 beds now.

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 10:55

Thanks nickytwotimes Am eating a snickers bar to console myself. It makes things seem a bit better

OP posts:
nickytwotimes · 26/02/2010 10:57

Yes, chocolate is the answer to all problems.

Sorry I wasn't able to be more positive about house market, but it is still a bit crap atm. It took us 9 mths to sell, if that is any consolation. You could always try and alternative estate agent. We changed from a 'nice' on to one of the more aggressive ones which probably helped a bit.

It sucks, man.

thehillsarealive · 26/02/2010 11:04

chickens - your house looks lovely, not cluttered but not sparse, it looks like a home, which it is. Rooms dont look small to me and if I could get a house like that for that price where i live i would be happy!

You cant get anything for less than 200K here, certainly not a detached 3 bed.

Have you done the fresh coffee and homemade bread/baking thing? I know someone who swears by this!

The housing market is only just starting again at the moment, it is always quiet between November and March and starts picking up from end March to mid Autumn, dont be disheartened the right person will come along and love your home.

msrisotto · 26/02/2010 11:07

You haven't put any photos up of the bathroom and you said that was the object of concern for some people. Maybe if you put the photos up, people would know before deciding to view thus saving you time and effort?

moffat · 26/02/2010 11:10

Your house looks lovely and I like the colour scheme but homes progs are always saying that you should have a very neutral colour scheme - would it be possible to repaint some of the bright walls? Lighter colours might make it look bigger as well.

ThatVikRinA22 · 26/02/2010 11:11

that is a fantastic price - im sure your doing nothing wrong - its just a very slow market, best thing to do is just try and forget its on the market until you get a viewing.

i sold a house in 2006 and even then it took some shifting even though it had been fully modernised and that was in a good market.

if you need to sell then just sit tight and forget its on, carry on as normal and dont put your life on hold.
it will sell - eventually - its just getting the right people through the door in the right circumstances.

Mongolia · 26/02/2010 11:17

The ad says "Larger detached home with 3 double bedrooms" which to be honest is very misleading and raises people's expectations to something you are not offering.

Having been in the position of buying a house exactly like that one, and looking at the pictures of it, I thought of suggesting advertising it as a main bedroom and 2nd and 3rd bedroom rather than 3 double bedrooms (Honestly, a double bed is around 2m x 1.6 m, that means in the smaller bedroom you hardly would have space left to get into bed if you put a double bed there).

I suspect people get there expecting larger spaces and are then disappointed. It is a lovely house, I expect that if they were not expecting "space" when they see it they would be more keen on it. It is a small, but very nice house, make the most of it.

And finally, long time ago, we were looking for a property in certain area and found a house precisely in the street we wanted. The house was described in such way, and had a price to make you think it would be great. Instead the house was a wreck that needed, to be honest, serious modernising. The curious thing is that we were looking for "wrecks" that we could refurbish to our own needs and taste, and would have bought that house but we couldn't move past the slight anger and disappointment of being told it was great, when it wasn't. We felt a bit tricked. So the moral of this story is don't raise the expectations too high, it can backfire.

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 11:20

We're having lots of viewings, so getting people through the door isn't the issue. I think it might be that the area we're in has very high unemployment because of the recession, and also the banks are still making it difficult for first time buyers to get a mortgage (was told by one viewer that they had to have a fifteen percent deposit! ). I am considering baking a cake half an hour before the viewing, but don't know if that's just naff Only the couple last night have mentioned the bathrooms, for other viewers it has been the downstairs. Still very frustrating when you have made the room measurements and floor plans available, though

OP posts:
GrendelsMum · 26/02/2010 11:20

I think that a lot of people find it very difficult to look at a floor plan and a list of sizes and understand what that means in practice. We've had quite a few people on these boards who've been planning to view a house where the MumsNet jury has then looked at the room plans and has pointed out an awkward layout or very small rooms.

I'm afraid this seems to be par for the course. I think the house itself looks very smart and neat, with a good-sized garden.

nickytwotimes · 26/02/2010 11:20

But surely people know that new builds are all tiny?

The house we have now is about half the size of our old one - but that is what we would expect having moved from a Victorian terrace to a newer estate.

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 11:23

Mongolia, that is a point. The estate agent wrote the gumpf about the house, and I did query that at the time. He assured me that it was a double bedroom as you could fit a double bed in to it It is still a good size for a third bedroom in a modern three bed, but maybe you're right about people's expectations being high.

OP posts:
Mongolia · 26/02/2010 11:27

Not all new builds are tiny, honestly :-)

There are plenty of new builds that are huge and even come with high ceilings and all the paraphernalia, although admittedly, not at that price. In the outside they look just larger copies of your house.

I think that just changing the wording can make a big difference, I'm telling you this as a person who worked for years in advertising before moving to property development.

I'm convinced the house is not the problem (it looks great!) but the ad.

I agree that some dark colours make the spaces look even smaller but it seems that the property is tastefully presented so I suspect people can see beyond them. But considering the rest of the house, I don't think is necessary to paint them in Magnolia. As I said, it is a very nice house.

squeaver · 26/02/2010 11:32

Agree with whoever said you should repaint the brightly coloured walls.

I think you'd be surprised by the difference it can make. Good luck

Mongolia · 26/02/2010 11:35

But not the kitchen or the main bedroom, that red looks great and stylish. Makes the house special

lou031205 · 26/02/2010 11:49

An estate agent I spoke to said that he had been marketing a modern 3 bed, and feedback was always "too small". So, with agreement from the vendors, he remarketed it as a "2 bed", and made the 3rd bedroom a 'study'. First reaction from potential buyers was "Oh wow, it has a 3rd bedroom". The estate agent says "well it's used as a study at the moment..." The potential buyers then say "Oh no, we could use that as a bedroom".

Instead of going away disappointed at room size, they feel that they would be getting a bargain, an extra bedroom. Apparently the house sold very quickly after having been on the market for over a year as a 3 bed.

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 11:52

Unfortunately, our third bedroom has a six year old boy in residence! It is a perfectlu useable childs bedroom, but a double bed would fill it. I suppose we could repaint DS1's room....

OP posts:
Sidge · 26/02/2010 11:56

Your house is lovely and looks clean, fresh and well looked after. But if you want me to be hyper-critical here are my comments:

The red in the kitchen/diner is very bold and may well put people off. The breakfast table end looks smaller, partly because of the units and partly because of the colour.

I know you're getting viewings, but I think you would get more (and maybe more serious viewings) if the agent put pictures of the bathrooms (including the ensuite) on the website. The listing on the website has duplicate pics of your kitchen and lounge. If I'm looking on Rightmove at a property I like to see bathrooms as they can be a big expense and hassle to change if not suitable for me.

Openbook · 26/02/2010 12:02

When we bought our house the previous occupants had taken out loads of furniture to make it look bigger. TBH we thought there was something a bit odd and wondered if they were actually living there it was so decluttered! I guess some stuff had gone into storage. It's a thought. We bought it because our kids have left home now and it is a lovely size for a couple who want to have space for visitors. Is your estate agent marketing yours to couples as well as families. BTW its looks a lovely house, not surprised you've had lots of viewings.

ChickensHaveSinisterMotives · 26/02/2010 12:09

Yes, Openbook, we are getting couples, mainly older retired types who want to downsize. They are then put off by all the noisey children playing in their back gardens Gah! We can't win! I am decluttering for every viewing (wardrobes are heaving ). I suppose we just need the right buyer to come along really. The house opposite, which is identical but always been a rental, is up for 5K more and hasn't been maintained to the same degree. If it sells before ours, I might have a bit of a tantrum.

OP posts:
slightlystressed · 26/02/2010 12:30

I really love red walls, but it some people might find it a bit much in a kitchen, re-paint the kitchen a nice boring off white colour, might make it look more spacious. I think the one red wall in bedroom is fine to leave.

Hopefully as Spring comes they'll be more people looking.

Fizzylemonade · 26/02/2010 12:56

Chickens- your house is lovely.

I debated whether to advertise mine as a 3 double bedroomed house as you could fit in a double bed plus wardrobes but with yours the sloping ceiling would make it a difficult double bedroom. It does look like a single as the bed denotes a single room or that you could have it as a twin room.

I can't believe it won't sell! Rugs on floors can make a room look smaller, if you take up the rugs the floor area looks larger.

I personally like the red which you have in the kitchen and your bedroom but then none in the lounge. It is nice to have continuity.

Apart from that it is a very nice house. Good luck.

Mongolia · 26/02/2010 13:00

Lou, I was also thinking about that, about marketing like a 2 bedroom and a very big box room.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.