My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Can anyone tell me about ground floor family bathrooms?

18 replies

treacletart · 11/02/2010 19:26

Quite nice looking 3 bed house has just come on the market, but they've only managaed to fit 3 sensible sized bedrooms into a small Victorian terrace by squeezing a ground floor windowless bathroom between the kitchen/diner and living room.

Does anyone live with a similar setup? Is it a recipe for disaster, who knows maybe even surprisingly practical? How would it work with teenagers?

OP posts:
Cyb · 11/02/2010 19:29

Well I wouldn't want a windowless bathroom regardless of what floor it was on.

But sandwiched between the two main living spaces sounds awful.

How could you have a shower if anyone else was there? Or a contemplative dump ?

A downstairs loo is always practical but not if its your only one

andlipsticktoo · 11/02/2010 19:32

I found havine a downstairs bathroom a blessing when the dc were small.

However now they are older it is a great excuse for them to keep trouping downstairs all evening in a seemingly endless stream to use the loo.

I do find it useful when we have guests though - all the crap mess and clutter can be hidden upstairs and noone ever need see it!

andlipsticktoo · 11/02/2010 19:33

I wouldn't want a windowless bathroom though, it would be dripping in condensation.

JillJ72 · 11/02/2010 19:41

I have a downstairs bathroom, but not in that sense and that truly does not appeal to me! I was a bit concerned about downstairs bathroom but the rest of the house ticked the boxes we had, and actually it's proven fine. It's good guests use downstairs facilities so they don't see the renovation creativity going on upstairs, and those middle of the night trips are no problem either. Certainly wouldn't put me off in any future homes... but have to say the setup in the one you're looking at does not appeal to me at all.

thisisyesterday · 11/02/2010 19:44

it wouldn't put me off. Have a friend who had a downstiars bathroom anbd actually quite liked it

BUT, I wouldn't want a windowless one.
had a windowless bathroom in my flat and it was a nightmare. damp and manky

LittlePushka · 11/02/2010 20:11

is there an extraction system to remove smells/damp air?

We have one, albeit with a window. On balance I would say I would prefer an upstairs one becuause the getting up & washed or the going to bed/getting washed has a nicer feel to it.

treacletart · 11/02/2010 23:22

Thanks for the feedback [hmmm] - haven't viewed it yet so I'm not sure about the extraction system - its not mentioned on particulars and I can't see anything in the pics. The lack of properties on the market is certainly forcing us to reassess our checklist - just not sure the rest of the space makes up for the bathroom compromise... GAHHH! I so want to buy a house!! You don't want to hear my sobstory but last week we lost our buyer, over a grand in fees and the only suitable house we'd found within our price range in 6 months.... cant believe I've got to start the game all over again

OP posts:
ToccataAndFudge · 11/02/2010 23:26

I'm currently in a Victorian 3 bedroom terrace with a downstairs family bathroom.

However, it's a big, airy, light room at the far end of the kitchen, and I actually really like it (they squeezed a toilet and sink upstairs so not a problem for night trips to the loo)

However, the one you describe sounds horrible.

toja555 · 12/02/2010 09:37

I wouldn't mind the layout itself as I'd prefer the downstairs bathroom somewhere in between the rooms/kitchen instead of the far end of extension. However ventilation is crucial in this case and you should check it carefully when viewing.

BertieBotts · 12/02/2010 09:41

I have got a downstairs bathroom and it is fine, as people mentioned useful for visitors, and good for DS as I can use a travel stairgate, keep it on all day and just take it off at night. It is through the kitchen which means I can shut the door on it, but it does get cold sticking out of the back of the house on its own - for this reason one within the main part of the house would probably be better.

You do really want a window though, or at least some kind of ventilation. Definitely check it out and sniff carefully!

JillJ72 · 12/02/2010 12:14

What I'd say is don't let us put you off because only by viewing the property can you decide if the layout is a no-no. But don't rule out a downstairs bathroom, and perhaps even look at whether the upstairs layout can eventually accommodate a little loo!

LowLevelWhingeing · 12/02/2010 12:19

I'm picturing embarrassing scenarios involving emerging from the bathroom in a towel and unexpected visitors...

ToccataAndFudge · 12/02/2010 15:45

was thinking about this again today, as I said we have a proper downstairs bathroom (with window and all) and I like it. But my brother's flat has a windowless bathroom, it's well ventilated but it's still horrible.

IlanaK · 12/02/2010 16:00

Don't let the lack of properties on the market and your desire to find somewhere to buy force you into a house you won't like. We too have been there - still not bought (though currently in the process) after many many months and living temporarily with family.

We pulled out of two purchases and the first one was as you describe with a downstairs bathroom. We decided in the long term it would just not work for us. And although we planned to add a bathroom upstairs, it would have meant losing some bedroom space - not ideal.

As to lack of ventilation - our last flat had two bathrooms, only one had a window. It is not ideal, but it is not as dank and smelly as many describe. We left the door open whenever possible to air it out and we also had an extractor fan. The place we are in the process of buying has two bathrooms - neither of which have windows. Both extract to outdoors and neither smelled. In London flats, it is not unusual for bathrooms to not have windows.

treacletart · 12/02/2010 18:35

Cheers all - checked with agent today and the bathroom does actually have a window - he's changed the particulars to mention it. It doesn't stack up with the floorplan but hey ho! I'll probably go to see it just to be sure but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for it being the one for us. I can see it might work for us now but just can't imagine the small space and downstairs bathroom working with teenagers ....

OP posts:
cakeywakey · 12/02/2010 18:41

I grew up in a house with a downstairs bathroom off the kitchen. It was horrible having to walk through the rest of the downstairs after you got out of the bath/shower, especially when there were visitors or someone at the door.

Also, being crude, you'll need really good extraction (and a thick door) if you have any poo monsters in your family. Pooey smells wafting through to the kitchen and living room isn't nice. (We have a downstairs loo now, and I won't allow anyone to poo in it for this reason!

EdgarAllenSnow · 12/02/2010 20:02

some people are prejdiced against them (even if lit and pleasant) - (you see people on property programes dissing them just on principle)

I have a downstairs bathroom and it is great. But then, there is no upstairs....

soopermum1 · 16/02/2010 10:50

I have a downstairs bathroom between the lounge and kitchen, and an upstairs toilet. it's not ideal but the rest of the house was perfect. there's also no window.

however, bathroom has great extractor fan that goes on when the light is switched on. also find it very handy with DS. He can splash in the bath and i'm just outside, with the door open, doing the ironing. very handy with the multitasking, can also run the bath and keep an eye on it when cooking, sorting washing etc. think it's a blessing in disguise.

would have been more put off if it had been a bathroom off the kitchen. quite often these are extensions therefore cold and just didn't likr having to go through kitchen to use the toilet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.