My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Underfloor heating in kitchen and bathroom - anyone got it and would you recommend.....

41 replies

MadameGazelle · 11/01/2010 21:13

Currently replacing kitchen and bathroom and am pricing up underfloor heating to run through kitchen, into back porch and in bathroom, a few people I have mentioned it to say the costs to run are ridiculous, so just wanted to hear from anyone who had this and if it was worthwhile installing. I will be having a small radiator in the kitchen and a chrome wall mounted towel ladder in the bathroom so underfloor heating won't be the only method if heating - just really to use in the morning and evenings. TIA

OP posts:
jollyma · 11/01/2010 21:32

I have it in my kitchen and love it. I wouldn't have a tiled floor without it. If you don't have it get a wooden floor unless you always wear slippers. We layed the pipes ourselves to cut the cost, it was time consuming but really easy. Then we got the plummer to connect it all up.

cassell · 12/01/2010 17:35

We're also doing our kitchen/bathroom and have just bought some of the warm up mats for the kitchen. There are running costs on the warm up website here.

frogetyfrog · 12/01/2010 17:45

Will be watching this with interest as considering it ourselves. Can you lay wood floor over it (or is that a really stupid thing to ask).

FatGirlThin · 12/01/2010 17:48

You can lay engineered wood floors over underfloor heating but NOT solid wood floors as they would expand and contract too much and crack. Not a stupid question!

frogetyfrog · 12/01/2010 17:50

Thats good FatGirlThin. My understanding is that engineered wood floors can be better anyway. I saw on the link further up this thread that there is a foil type set up too which I may investigate.

nigglewiggle · 12/01/2010 17:53

We have it in our kitchen and dh (a skinflint ) says it's quite reasonable to run. We have electric rather than hot water system. It is fab and I wouldn't be without it. I persuaded Dsis to put it in her bathroom and she was saying yesterday how great it is.

Mercedes · 12/01/2010 18:00

Can I jump onto this thread and ask is underfloor heating enough heating for a kitchen or do you need to think another source?

SleighGirl · 12/01/2010 18:11

my friend has stopped using hers because her owl electric meter monitor showed her it was £££££££££££s when she turned it on.

She also reckoned that you have to have it on for ages to warm through and then takes ages to cool down so not good for a top up heat really needs to be on most of the day IYSWIM

LillianGish · 12/01/2010 18:20

We had it in every room in our last house. Lovely in the bathroom especially, but I would say I found it incredibly hard to regulate - sometimes ended up having the windows wide open as just too sweltering so probably not the most economical!

Rollmops · 12/01/2010 18:20

We have it in our master bathroom and it's lovely. Couldn't imagine cold marble floors in the early morning, brrrrrrr.......
Not sure about new kitchen yet as not sure what type of flooring we'll end up with. Love natural stone but with two year old twins, one is thinking something slightly more 'shatter proof'....

nigglewiggle · 12/01/2010 18:38

Mercedes - we have it as our only source of heat in our kitchen, but it is central room in the house with only one external wall and fairly low ceilings.

Mercedes · 12/01/2010 22:54

we are thinking about an extension and it will have 2 or 3 external walls depending on whether our neighbour also builds an extension.

supersalstrawberry · 12/01/2010 23:03

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Secondaryglazedover · 12/01/2010 23:24

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoochingNoshingPondering · 12/01/2010 23:28

Yes had it in both, yes will have it in the new place in both again. Both times it is electric with it's own controller.

jollyma · 13/01/2010 18:34

We have a water system under a Travertine(?sp) floor in our kitchen, I don't know how cost effective it is as the rest of the house has draughty victorian windows but our kitchen is always toasty. Relatives have a new build with underfloor throughout the downstairs and no extra rads, its always warm in their house. Its important to have each room on its own thermostat to stop overheating in certain rooms.

Our floor is the rough finish type so doesn't show many scratches or cracks but I have 2 friends with the polished type of travertine and they are really upset by the amount of cracks they can see in the newish flooring- something to bear in mind if you put stone down.

wonderingwondering · 13/01/2010 18:37

Mercedes, we have underfloor heating as the sole heat source in our kitchen, only one external wall and a resident tumble drier! But it is enough. We have it on constantly through the winter as it takes a while to warm through porcelain tiles - I'd get better-conducting tiles next time.

PanicMode · 13/01/2010 19:35

We have it in our bathroom over the travertine tiles and it's fantastic - it's an electric system, not water, and we tend to turn it off in the summer - but in the winter it's bliss getting up in the morning and having toasty toes!

skinsl · 14/01/2010 09:37

very hard to get the temp right, but we didn't get any instructions when we moved in!!

BristolIrishGirl · 14/01/2010 10:15

Are the underfloor electric mats any good - have heard that they take a really long time to give any heat especially through tiles and that you need to have them on all the time so very expensive??

MoochingNoshingPondering · 14/01/2010 14:01

Ours stayed on, we just adjusted the control until warm weather.

dansk · 15/01/2010 08:16

Hi - Theres good and bad systems all over the place and depending on who you talk to. If you install an electric system with good quality insulation boards aka "tile backer insulation boards" then you can expect to feel something through a tiled floor within 30mins - 1 hour.

In terms of running costs, base your calculation on 1p per hour per m² and you wont be far out.

We didi our kitchen first, we have a 25m² floor area and running the system as a normal working family we notciced it added £50 per month to the electric bill during the winter qtr.

Normally the only reason you hear high running costs is becuase someone has been mis-sold a product that is too under powered for the job - its like having a small engine in a big car - its going to use too much fuel. Like the UFH, put something powerful in with good insulation and it wont take much energy to warm-up!

Hope this helps.

Earthstar · 15/01/2010 09:24

Blimey adding £50 per month to your electricity bill doesn't sound cheap to me! That's a 50% increase isn't it?

dansk · 15/01/2010 17:14

50% of what?? the truth is its very hard to split the UFH out of the electric bill - but the gas also went down at the same time - so its a trade off! and we didnt think it was bad - but then everyone has a different budget and view on things.

wilbur · 15/01/2010 17:22

Sorry - haven;t had time to read all posts so sorry if repeating. The electric stuff is expensive to run, but ok if it's a small area like a bathroom (we have electric in our bathroom upstairs and it is bliss). If you have alarge area, having the water pipes run underfloor and off the boiler is beytter and more economical, We have it throughout our ground floor and it is amazing - we have no rads on this floor and it is always toasty, plus I have noticed that we have to turn down the upstairs rads too, so whole houe gets benefit. Gas bills have def gone down since we got it, although we have rooms above to get the benefit - if it was heating a one-storey extension, it probably is less efficient. Having said that I adore it, and love not having radiators.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.