My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Commuting to The City from Reading/Theale.

17 replies

minko · 10/01/2010 18:55

We have just seen the most lovely house near Reading and are very keen to make an offer. The one sticking point is the commute for DH. It takes half an hour or so on the train into Paddington, but then he'd have to get a nasty Circle line train to Moorgate.

Anyone do this or a similar commute?? How is it? Is it bearable??

OP posts:
Rollmops · 10/01/2010 20:43

Circle line is horrid, however, he also has a choice of Hammersmith and City line. I used to go to Moorgate from Kensington High Street so was stuck with Circle line and it was pretty bad - however, the Tube might have improved in past 3 years?

Rollmops · 10/01/2010 21:15

Also, check out the cost of parking at Reading Station. DH goes into London about twice a week and pays £18.50 per day just to park the flippin' car DH says that the commute is not bad but he couldn't do it every day. The fast trains from Reading are about every 12 minutes

If your hubby can go via Bank then the best way to get to the Circle line is to walk from Paddington to Lancaster Gate. This avoids changing at Oxford Circus which is just like hell..... but with buskers.

minko · 10/01/2010 21:52

Thanks for the tip Rollmops. Walking to Lancaster Gate and spending 14 mins on the central line rather than 34 on the circle sounds much better.

He's planning to moped to Reading or Theale. Can't believe the cost of parking!!

OP posts:
Rollmops · 11/01/2010 10:46

Central indeed... oopsie....

minko · 11/01/2010 18:30

Oh crikey, our offer has been accepted! Scarey!!

OP posts:
HerHonesty · 11/01/2010 18:42

do you know theale well?

HerHonesty · 11/01/2010 18:43

sorry, meant to add have you factored in the driving time to the station from theale during commuter times?

Milliways · 11/01/2010 19:01

The GWR train is only 30/35 mins from Reading to Paddington (not sure abour Theale link though).

I used to walk from Lancaster Gate when working at ST Pauls.

minko · 12/01/2010 13:30

I'm starting to realise that driving to Reading or Theale would be a nightmare. DH is keen to moped and that would help in traffic queues.

So ladies of Reading - start selling it to me! We're moving to Burghfield. Looks lovely, great schools etc. What's the lowdown??? I'm from Surrey and don't know the area well at all.

OP posts:
whoopstheregoesmymerkin · 12/01/2010 13:34

Spent 10 years commuting from Reading to Victoria and DH lived in Burghfield when I met him. I would go to Theale from there rather than Reading. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem with the car.
Hope the move is smooth!

CMOTdibbler · 12/01/2010 13:36

It's a great connection from Reading, or from that side, he could always get the slower, quieter train from Pangbourne - traffic no problem that way.

Lovely area, used to know it very well. If you have small children, you will be wanting a season ticket to Beale Park

He might find the park and ride works better than moped in bad weather too

minko · 19/01/2010 14:53

Thanks everyone. Any more Reading dwellers? Do you love it/hate it? What can you recommend to do in the area? Any more Reading commuters?

OP posts:
heartonsleeve · 19/01/2010 14:57

I live in Theale, and commute to Henley.

Theale to Reading is easy...10 minutes max on the train. Parking at Theale is fine, and cheaper than Reading.

Burghfield to Theale is also easy.

Theale is a lovely village. Don't know much about Burghfield though.

Lilymaid · 19/01/2010 15:00

I used to commute from Tilehurst to Moorgate and later from Goring to Euston Square. It took around 1.5 hours door to door - but this was many years ago.
In those days I used to get the Hammersmith and City in preference to the Circle Line going into work as the platform was easier to get to during the rush hour.

MortaIWombat · 19/01/2010 15:46

Dh used to commute from reading to Cannon St. After 4 years we moved into S London as he got so sick of it. It was a very unreliable line. This was 8 years ago, though.
Maybe it's better now?

minko · 20/01/2010 09:32

Thanks for your help everyone. I think we are going to abort this move... DH tried the commute last night and I picked him up in Theale. It would have taken 1 hr 50 door to door which frankly is way too much. And the tube and the train were packed to the roof. I think he'd have a heart attack before too long.

Looks like the search for a house in the country with good schools and a manageable commute goes on...

OP posts:
Lilymaid · 20/01/2010 10:54

Minko - I'd look for an area where you can commute direct into the City - e.g. somewhere served by Liverpool St Station, so your DH can then walk from there and not have to do the tube journey.
I can recommend Saffron Walden (NW Essex) and South Cambs for good property/nice environment and excellent schools.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.