My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Please settle and argument - do we need a second toilet or not?

56 replies

babypowder · 25/10/2009 10:18

We live in a Victorian house that has the bathroom off the kitchen at the back of the house. We are about to move the bathroom upstairs, where we currently have a cloakroom (lots of knocking down walls & things to extend the cloak). We'l then use the space where the bathroom was to extend the kitchen into a conservatory.

I am quite attached to having 2 toilets in the house, and would like to keep a little cloak room where the old bathroom is. Dh feels that this would detract buyers when the time came.

We have 2 DDs under 7 as well as DH & I. What do you think?

OP posts:
nightofthewakingdead · 25/10/2009 19:13

Oh - AND you have DDs.

They can't go for a wee at the same time which my two DS can (and play at "wee crossing fights" - the joys!)

notcitrus · 25/10/2009 19:13

There's already the plumbing for a loo- keep it and have the downstairs loo too.

Not having one was a dealbreaker for me even before kids when looking at houses - anyone prone to cystitis or any other reason to need the loo a lot, and a partner who spends years in the bath, would agree. And my ILs can't get up the stairs easily so a downstairs loo is a must for them to visit.

MillyMollyMoo · 25/10/2009 19:40

Planning regs will insist on 2 doors between the toilet and the kitchen I never understood why we had so many random doors until I read that little nugget, but other than that yes 2 toilets are a must with a family IMO

babypowder · 25/10/2009 21:56

Thank you all for your comments - the debate rages on in the BP houseehold ...

OP posts:
frostyfingers · 27/10/2009 10:42

We moved into house with a long kitchen and tucked inside the door was a loo. I have to say that I banned anyone from using it as I really didn't like the idea of it there. We managed to squeeze one in when we converted the car port to a utility room - it's tiny, but saves people traipsing through the house.

Do you have an understairs cupboard? If you don't want loo in kitchen you could do a swap, although obviously that involves plumbing.

I would recommend a 2nd loo - maybe you could have a look in local estate agents to see if any houses in your street have one and if there's a difference in price. Or ask the agents?

toja555 · 27/10/2009 16:48

For the loo not to be a cupboard in the kitchen, follow my house layout: my Victorian house had original loo as a small extension off the kitchen, but you would have to go out of the kithen through back door and then use the door to the loo. When later a lean-to was built, the loo door appeared in the lean-to, and the loo is on the side of the lean-to. Quite convenient, if the loo was still in operation.. it was blocked and now used as a storage room (for now).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.