My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Which type of survey would you use and how would you find surveyor?

5 replies

verylapsedrunner · 28/04/2009 14:20

Hypothetical right now but could be "live" very soon. Which type of survey would you opt for if you were buying a 10 year old town house (so just out of NHBC cert). We would be commissioning the survey ourselves (not mortgage related) so where would be first port of call to find independent surveyor (and don't all say Yellow Pages etc?

OP posts:
lalalonglegs · 28/04/2009 14:32

You could call RICS or go on their website. I think it is always worth getting a house surveyed especially new ones as the quality of the build can be so poor. You could discuss exactly what you want in terms of answers and observations with the surveyors and that will help you choose which survey type is best (I know a very good person in south London if that helps you).

verylapsedrunner · 28/04/2009 16:27

I agree lalalonglegs - discussing the property with the surveyor to describe type of build etc. My gut feeling would be a full survey but seems a bit excessive on a new build.

OP posts:
fridayschild · 28/04/2009 21:25

Your solicitor would be able to recommend someone. Nothing excessive about a full survey if you ask me; this is going to be your most expensive purchase ever.

I also know a good person in south London - I wonder if it is the same as lalalonglegs?!

verylapsedrunner · 28/04/2009 22:12

Thanks fridayschild, being in the SE (close to London) this will be our most expensive purchase ever . Why oh why then is DH currently abroad on work and will be for the next 2 weeks. As he says I do the practical/detail stuff and he does strategic! I am going to view said property for the 3rd time (yes, you read right, this is a 3rd viewing) tomorrow before the final decision. We are almost at exchange point on our house sale so need to move (excuse pun, could be to rented) in order to prevent the chain collapsing.

OP posts:
lalalonglegs · 29/04/2009 10:47

His initials are CM, friday.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.