My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Oven fitting?

6 replies

SchnitzelVonKrumm · 18/02/2009 16:00

Ridiculous question I know, but if we buy a new built-in oven to replace our crap one, who would we need to fit it/remove the old one? Electrician? Kitchen fitter?

OP posts:
BennyAndSwoon · 19/02/2009 11:07

If it is electric then an electrician.

thehairybabysmum · 19/02/2009 11:21

If it's the same size oven you can do it yourself easily...the old one will jsut slide out of the unit (might have to undo a couple of screws first, check the shelves above/below), then just slide new one in and just plug it in. You really dont need an electrician.

thehairybabysmum · 19/02/2009 11:27

If it's the same size oven you can do it yourself easily...the old one will jsut slide out of the unit (might have to undo a couple of screws first, check the shelves above/below), then just slide new one in and just plug it in. You really dont need an electrician.

thisisyesterday · 19/02/2009 11:30

actually, I think that it should be done by an electrician.
isn't it law now? might invalidate your insurance if there was a problem and you had fitted it yourself.

(though I agree, that it is technically a simple thing to do)

brightonlad · 19/02/2009 11:49

Legally you do need an electrician to do it, but it's a breeze to do. They don't tend to have plugs on them so you'll have to turn off the supply to the old oven, unscrew the mains cable from the terminal block in the back and screw it into the terminal block in the new oven. You'll probably have to take the back off both ovens. If you do it carefully and make sure that the insulation covers the wire right up to the point where it enters the terminal block I really don't see where you can go wrong.
Having said that the last time I brought an oven the shop offered free installation.

thehairybabysmum · 24/02/2009 09:43

If it is just an oven and not a cooker with hob included then it will just have a plug...you defo dont need an electrician to plug it in for you (neither is it illegal for you to plug an appliance in yourself)!!!

If it is with a hob then yes there will be some minor wiring as brightonlad says in which case use an electrician if you are not confident to do this yourself.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.