My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Living at the bottom of a cul-de-sac - pros and cons

11 replies

Fizzylemonade · 13/02/2009 16:58

Would love to know if there is something I haven't considered.

Obviously there will be cars using it as a turn-around point, will other cars be likely to park there or not because of the turning aspect?

Kids playing there? What else do I need to think about?

It is a curved bottom not a T and the house I am pondering over has it's drive at the bottom of the curve along with another.

OP posts:
feedthegoat · 13/02/2009 17:09

My last house was at the bottom of a cul-de-sac. At the time I did think it felt a little bit like living in a fish bowl as all cars turning round virtually did so in my drive. However, now I live on a straight road I feel even more overlooked as didn't have a house directly opposite window before. You also don't get as many folk just wandering in a cul-de-sac as no reason to be there unless going to a house. Kids playing with balls (on my front window!) and cars were worst aspect but on balance I preferred it.

MadamDeathstare · 13/02/2009 17:12

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveMyLapTop · 13/02/2009 17:21

Live at the end of the culd de sac - very quiet.
Cars do turn but not that close to the road.
Is so safe for the children to play out unsupervised too.

Fimbo · 13/02/2009 17:26

I live 2nd from end in a cul-de-sac. Only 2 neighbours going past my house so lovely and quiet. One neighbour can turn the other can't so usually reverses back. We have a double driveway, its usually delivery drivers who use it to turn on. It does annoy me but happens mostly during the day when I am out.

The other thing I would say to check is the parking for visitors. There is none in my street (new build - ho hum) and one set of neighbours have frequent visitors who used to park right outside my front door (door opens on street) which meant I couldn't get to the front door with a buggy. Have stuck plant pots outside now to prevent this.

Fizzylemonade · 13/02/2009 21:41

Thanks everyone, the cul-de-sac only has 4 houses on it so I think it would be a very quiet street.

Thanks Fimbo for the visitor parking issue.

We live in a weird area where the cul-de-sacs have no pavements if that makes sense, so lots of people have already made part of their gardens into a drive so there is little parking available apart from drives or round the corner.

OP posts:
Pannacotta · 14/02/2009 17:24

We live at the end of a cul de sac and like it. We are one of two houses at the end with curved road at the end.
It's very quiet and safe for the kids to play and it is quite private (but can feel a bit spooked if DH is away).
But we have lots of building work to do and it's very hard for people to get in and out of our drive and for skips etc too (a neighbour parks quite close to our drive), so this is something to bear in mind. We also have no visitor parking on the street.

ChasingSquirrels · 14/02/2009 20:49

people park in the turning circle at the bottom of our cul-de-sac.

DesperatelySeekingSanity · 15/02/2009 13:40

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamas12 · 15/02/2009 14:03

Yep I've moved into a cul de sac after my divorce it is great for the kids to play out. Especially in the snow in their dressing gowns last week (we are only family all else sort of retired and elderly) Do it it's great. I feel everyone knows everyones business but no-one here has intruded, just feel if something went wrong re: strangers my little cul de sac would look out for us.
We just park at top of hill when icy.
Mind you one thing with this cul de sac is everone elses front gardens are soooo much tidier than mine!!

llareggub · 15/02/2009 14:10

I live in a cul-de-sac and I've noticed significantly higher levels of crime than in any other area I've lived in. We live in a quaint old market town, which is supposedly a low crime area.

My cul-de-sac is fairly secluded, and opposite we have a green and trees sheltering it from the main road. Out of six houses, 4 cars have been stolen following 2 separate break-ins break-in, 2 cars have been broken into and we get the usual problems with kids.

I find when our neighbours are away I feel quite vulnerable as we are often the only family home.

rookiemater · 15/02/2009 14:14

We live in a cul-de-sac of around 8 houses and its fantastic. The older children are always out playing, there is a real community spirit with the neighbours and it just feels really safe and lovely.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.