My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

New open plan kitchen: is this safe? (breakfast bar containing gas hob)

29 replies

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 20:32

We've moved into a new house with a very awkwardly laid out kitchen. We want to move things around a bit, and the best option we can come up with would be to have a deep worktop/breakfast bar containing a gas hob on the kitchen side (see pictures on my profile). On the other side of the breakfast bar is the dining area of a through reception room.

We are thinking of a deep worktop/breakfast bar so that the flames/hot spitting sauces are out of reach from ds as he grows up, but is that enough? Does anyone have anything like this and is it safe if you have kids?

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 20:39

I wouldnt.

It will be hot for some time AFTER you have finnished cooking.

What about your knees? You will be very far away from the "table" with your body as your knees with collide with the "wall" of the breakfast bar.

What about the extractor fan? Once you install that, it will be in the way for the view, you may bang your head, and where are you sending the cooking fumes to? Up?

Why not put the cooker on the other wall next to the window? Then the fumes from the extractor fan is easily led out through your wall.

glasgowstyle · 27/11/2008 20:42

Would move it to the left of the window - outside extrator, window as well & out of the way.

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 20:45

that's the only other place to put it, but then we lose the only space we have for wall cupboards (and don't have a lot of storage otherwise in this kitchen). Plus, as this is a rejig of existing cupboards rather than a brand new kitchen, it would cost more, as the existing tiles have been cut to make space for said wall cupboards, and we don't really want to have to retile.

The "breakfast bar" bit isn't likely to be used as such - we have a table - it's really just an extra lip bit to protect ds (and us) from the hob. There's no room for an extractor fan with this lay out, true. But we rarely used the one we had in the last place, so hoping we won't miss it.

OP posts:
glasgowstyle · 27/11/2008 20:49

tis the best spot - otherwise move the sink to the window & put hob where your sink is. The breakfast bar will be where people put the plates, papers, bags so a hob will be in the way & if you don't use it alot will just take up space.

QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 20:51

You will have to check whether not having an extractor fan is against regulations regards to safety.

If you dont use it as a breakfast bar, you can have cupboards. My friend has that, and she has glass in the middle double cupbaord, and open shelves on the bit next to the end. Normal cupboard by the wall with normal back. If that makes sense.

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 20:59

can't put hob where sink is, as it's under a window which isn't shown. (currently hob is there, but apparently that's not legal, and it's a pain because I'm vegetarian, and most meals I make start with chopping of veggies, which I like to do near the hob).

but I'm coming round to the idea that hob next to window is best place for a hob to be. worrying about losing cupboard space though. hmm. must think some more, or downsize our kitchen equipment!

cupboards under "breakfast bar" sounds an idea, but also one ds would love - he lives for opening and shutting cupboard doors at the moment (9mo)

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 21:04

Cupboards under the breakfast bar is a good idea. You can get child safety equipment from Mothercare and other places that will prevent him from opening cupboards. It is only a short phase.

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 21:11

true QS. Sometimes forget he's going to keep changing!

OP posts:
lalalonglegs · 27/11/2008 21:15

I've seen this quite a lot in very expensive kitchens (Bulthaup, Boffi etc). Could you build up the back of the breakfast bar a bit like this one?

lalalonglegs · 27/11/2008 21:16

(This being putting a hob on an island/breakfast bar, I mean.)

lalalonglegs · 27/11/2008 21:18

Rats - it's the small thumbnail photo in the middle of the bottom three in case you are wondering.

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 21:22

lala - that's a great idea. not sure about the extractor hanging from the ceiling though.

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 21:27

Those kind of extractors usually go up to a ventilation system in the loft. Very common in newer builds. (I am doing a self build and has spent months researching and planning my kitchen)

QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 21:30

If you can bear the language, check out this site Click on Kjokken (kitchen) and look at the design idea of "Format Sand", it is quite similar to your kitchen.

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 21:31

oh. so we don't have that kind of ventilation system! is an extractor essential?

very impressed that you've spent months researching QS - more patience than I!

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 21:33

Well, I have had months looking at "paint dry" or rather, the land being prepared, the foundations put up, the walls coming up, the windows being put in, etc. What is a girl to do, except plan her kitchen and bathroom???

lalalonglegs · 27/11/2008 21:42

Extractors possibly more of a danger than hobs - they are getting soooo big. Ones that could suck up your ds (very cute picture by way)and spit him out the flue are very now .

MamaChris · 27/11/2008 21:45

At least they'll be perfect once they're in! Will it be soon?

OP posts:
MamaChris · 27/11/2008 21:47

all babies look cute when they're that small lala so we can live without the extractor (and keep ds safe from the flue)?

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 27/11/2008 21:48

Hopefully before Christmas..... Or maybe it is just the project manager keeping me sweet....

Yes, LaLa, I hear it is a real danger if you combine an extractor fan with a worktop hadron collider...

Fizzylemonade · 28/11/2008 14:42

MamaChris could you get a big larder unit in somewhere? I had one at my last house (I miss it terribly, must send it a postcard )

They hold loads and loads of stuff.

Center Parcs kitchens have a sink facing into the dining area and then a huge upstand with a wide top to it which in some of the villas they have extended to make into a breakfast bar.

I have put this on but it is difficult to see it to its full extent

this

It means that the person at the breakfast bar would be some distance from the hob.

Just a thought....

SpangleMaker · 30/11/2008 22:47

Would you consider an induction hob rather than gas? No flames, and the hob stays cool (the heat is generated in the pan - it's like magic ). They are as controllable as gas.

If it's not possible to duct an extractor to the outside wall you can get ones that filter and recirculate the air. Elica do some gorgeous ones that are very effective and not at all intrusive (pricey though)

Tall larder units are good if design permits, esp ones with pullout shelves.

annieshaf · 01/12/2008 20:30

Hi Mamachris
I have an island with a hob on facing a dining area with an island hood over the top. We thought long and hard about the same safety concerns which you have. Firstly the hood does not get in the way of any view and we do not bang our head on it but I did ask the fitters to put it as high up as possible in anticipation that this might be a problem. To get around the safety worries I went for an induction hob and we made sure that there was a 30cm worktop behind the hob (which we do have extra cupboards under - very handy for extra storage so if you wont use your breakfast bar I would go for this. We dont have any problem with splashes beyond this.

MamaChris · 03/12/2008 20:50

maybe an induction hob is the way to go. what are they like to cook like (am used to gas)? and are they really cool to the touch even when you've just boiled a pan of water on them (say)?

and what if we didn't have an extractor at all (we don't at the moment)?

OP posts:
SpangleMaker · 03/12/2008 23:02

Hi MamaChris

I've always had gas hobs until I moved in with DH and I was initially suspicious, but in fact induction hobs are instantaneously controllable like gas (and unlike electric). As well as the staying-cool thing, the other advantages are that a decent one will heat things up VERY fast when turned up full blast, and there are no parts to keep clean. When boiling water they get as warm as any glass surface would when it's had a pan of boiling water standing on it - so pretty warm, but cools down quickly. DH is a kitchen designer and sometimes demonstrates induction hobs by putting a £20 note underneath the pan!

The only thing is you will need pans that work on induction hobs. You can check whether your pans will work with a magnet - if it sticks to the pan it will work. And you'll need a flat-bottomed wok!

You'd be best to get an extractor, especially for a hob in the middle of the room. Elica extractors are fab, some gorgeous designs but they can be pricey.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.