My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

86 m2 of concrete floor with underfloor heating to be broken up, as plumber forgot to put down drainage for the toilet in my build

50 replies

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:30

and

I have a meeting with the boss at the plumbing company tomorrow to discuss options.

If they are to install a standard toilet, they need sewage, which is not there. They will have to break up the concrete floor to find and connect to the sewage pipe. The concrete floor has the underfloor heating embedded in it. Therefore will have to break up everything, and redo the underfloor heating.

The alternative is to install a toilet that does not require sewage but only wastewater. It has a pump, and a filter and it churns the "hard deposits" to a mash before mixing it with the wastewater.

I am not keen on this. The toilet itself is ugly, it needs to be attached a box that conteins the pump and the "poo grinder", and it will ruin the serene look of my bathroom. (It is the guest bathroom, so will also be used by visitors, dinner party guests, etc)
It requires maintenance, and heavens forbid we dont get a blocked toilet, as then the box with the grinder will have to be opend up and the grinder cleaned....

What would you do?

Would you let them break up the floor, connect to standard sewage and redo the underfloor heating?

Or would you accept the "poo grinding toilet", plus compensation in terms of chosing from their nice stock of bathroom accesories, including high quality shower enclosure?

OP posts:
Grammaticus · 12/11/2008 11:33

If it is the guest loo, you will have to keep telling people "the rules" so to speak which isn't ideal (as I believe that tampax will block a saniflow pump).

I'd be relentlessly nice, but make them do it the original way with proper sewer connection

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:35

Yes, I suspect most people know not to put tampaxm or pads down the toilet, but nevertheless, I cant risk having to constantly faff about with that box.

OP posts:
eekamoose · 12/11/2008 11:36

No, do not accept the poo grinding toilet.

It is a right royal PITA what you are going to have to go through, but I wouldn't compromise on this.

(They make an awful noise while they are grinding, too).

I bet the plumber feels a bit of plomper.

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:39

We have one in the flat downstairs at my parents where we currently live, so know it very well, it is 15 years since it was installed, and by now we can only wee in it.

My father installed it as it is a guest apartment and rarely used.

The pump is noisy.

OP posts:
sinkingfast · 12/11/2008 11:39

Definitely get them to redo the floor - it's their fault and 6 months down the line, you want to be sitting in your house with no further effects from their mistake. Accepting the poo grinding toilet will be a constant irritation as it is not what you wanted (and are paying for).

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:40

And a £1500 shower enclosure is meager compensation....

OP posts:
littlefrog · 12/11/2008 11:41

if they'll pay for all the breaking up and redoing, then there's no question - make them do it! Grindy loos are terrible...

midnightexpress · 12/11/2008 11:42

Yes, they should definitely redo it, at their expense. If it's not done how you want it, it will just irritate you for all eternity.

midnightexpress · 12/11/2008 11:43

Is your guest bathroom 86m2?

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:45

My downstairs is 86m2. I have underfloor heating in all the rooms. That is why they have to break up all and redo, as even the tinyest scratch to one of the cables for the heating will damage the entire circuit.

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:46

My guest bathroom is only 5m2 and it is on the first floor adjoining the living room and the kitchen and the guest bedrooms.

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:47

To add, I live in the artic, so underfloor heating is a must as source of heating in all ground floor rooms, as the ground is frozen from November till May.

OP posts:
Grammaticus · 12/11/2008 11:48

I don't think people would put pads down, especially if you provide a bin and bags, but you'd be surprised I think how many people flush tampax. (I would )

Eeew you could make one of those cutesy notices for it ("if you sprinkle while you tinkle..." comes to mind)

Don't do it! Pay for the shower, presumably you were planning to originally.

Grammaticus · 12/11/2008 11:50

Oh - you're the one in Norway! I've no idea whether Norwegians would flush tampax or not - scratch that!

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:50

I wasnt going to. My plan was to keep the guest bathroom as a wetroom. Tiles on walls and floor, and underfloor heating, shower on the wall, drainage in the floor, shower curtain around, so the entire floor could be utilized as floor when the shower is not in use.

OP posts:
QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 11:51

well, for sure nobody has heard about mooncups, so I dont know....

OP posts:
Flibbertyjibbet · 12/11/2008 11:57

I have underfloor heating downstairs too. And a major dislike of poo grinder loos.

I'd put up with the short term disruption and get a proper loo in and your floor redone if they are doing that at their expense.

Think of the long term gain of never having to de-poo the grinder.

(Boak)

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 12:45

Do you reckon the plumber is insured for such mishaps?

OP posts:
lalalonglegs · 12/11/2008 20:19

Please don't fret about whether the plumber is insured. It is a fundamental mistake and his responsibility. If you changed your mind about something and that forced the builders to dig up the floor and UFH, they would charge you for every inch of it. Their fault this time, therefore their cost. And, if they were in UK, I would lay money on it that the shower had been filched from some other site.

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 20:45

I know, I am just really concerned about the consequences of digging up the floor, and damaging the UFH. What will this ultimately do to the structural integrity of my house?

OP posts:
silverfrog · 12/11/2008 20:50

definitely get it redone.

we have just had to have our bathroom redone as it was bodged the first time around 9including screwing up the UFH)

don't accept a compromise. If you had wanted a poo-grinder toilet 9and they do make a horrendous noise) then you woud have chosen one in the first place

re-do would b the only option for me.

lalalonglegs · 12/11/2008 20:55

It shouldn't affect structural integrity of the house (unless they build houses in a very strange way in Norway). It will ruin the UFH - I can't imagine it can be done without damaging it quite badly but, again, it isn't your problem, it's theirs. And a shower enclosure is no compensation because - I really don't want to distress you more but it has to be said - it will delay the project by a couple of weeks at least, I imagine.

If you don't think you can be tough with the plumber yourself then get someone - a professional if necessary - to kick ass on your behalf and sort out a proper schedule of repair and adequate compensation. This is not acceptable and there is no way you should have to live with a macerating loo because of their stupidity.

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 21:04

Oh, I can be tough.

I just dont want to alienate the project manager of the build in the process.

However, some project manager for not spotting this, in the several weeks the ground was without concrete while the builders finnished putting up the leca walls.

OP posts:
tissy · 12/11/2008 21:11

is it a single UFH system for the whole floor, or several independent systems? We have about 40 sqm of UFH, but 3 separate rooms, so if, god forbid, we had to dig up our wet room floor, the utility room and sun room woud still be ok. Can they alter the route of the sewage pipe to minimise damage?

QuintessentialShadow · 12/11/2008 21:15

They can go through the technical room, to the storage room, and the joint should be about 1 meter away, in the hall. The hall is 25 m2, and it is wired like one zone. The bathroom, and three bedroms are on different zones I think. At least I know they have different termostats, with controls in each room. So I think they may only have to hack up the hall, if they are not joined, somehow after all.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.