My feed

to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.


When selling my house are the light fittings included

15 replies

twinsetandpearls · 03/05/2008 20:49

As dd has a chandelier from vertabaudet that she does not want to leave behind and we have a light in our bedroom.

OP posts:
Tortington · 03/05/2008 20:50

there is a document that you fill in that states what you are taking and what you are leaving, for instance the house i want to buy, they stated that they are taking the curtain poles but are leaving the hanging pots in garden!

don't worry you can take it if you want

SingingBear · 03/05/2008 20:51

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

fleximum · 03/05/2008 20:51

usually find that when you accept an offer you get a form to fill in to say which bits are going. you can take light fittings but usually expected to put a plain bulb in place.

StressTeddy · 03/05/2008 20:51

Nope, not unnless you say they are. You should complete a form your estate agent sends to you to say what is staying in each room. People don't usually expect light fittings to stay.

ScienceTeacher · 03/05/2008 20:52

I think you pretty much have to leave a bare bulb dangling from the ceiling. You do not have to leave chandeliers - but you have to tell people up front.

twinsetandpearls · 03/05/2008 20:53

That is what I thought. Thanks.

OP posts:
twinsetandpearls · 03/05/2008 23:38

does that include wall lights? Although tbh I don't know if we are taking those.

OP posts:
LIZS · 04/05/2008 08:39

It is up to you, you state it on the fixtures and fittings form you send back to the solicitors and can still be vague ie state "some". We replaced those we wanted to take with a regular wire and rose fitting

Freckle · 04/05/2008 08:47

You can take what you like but, for certain items, such as light fittings, you have to replace it with a basic one, i.e. you can't take wall light fittings leaving a bare wire protruding from the wall.

twinsetandpearls · 04/05/2008 12:00


OP posts:
bran · 04/05/2008 12:04

Have you started viewings yet? Perhaps you could replace the fittings now and store the current ones until you move, thus avoiding any misunderstandings during a sale (some people are very funny about things like that).

twinsetandpearls · 04/05/2008 12:07

That is what dp wanted to do which is how this thread started.

We have lovely things that we don't want to part with, I think they could add to the appeal of the house, sending the message this os how great this house could look for you. But dp says it will then piss them off if we say actually we are taking that.

OP posts:
Fizzylemonade · 04/05/2008 16:21

If it is something that you can't get in the shops then just say on the second viewing if all seems to be going well.

When we bought one house they vendors explained that they would be taking the curtains as they matched their bed cover.

I have taken stuff with me only to find that I have found something better so tend to be happy to leave stuff.

I believe that certain things are included eg carpets and I always state this in the offer. However light fittings/wall lights etc I would always ask over. So on the viewing I would be saying "that is a beautiful light fitting" then if they say they are sorry but they would be taking it I ask where they got it from. A bit of flattery goes a long way

You never know they may not like the light shade and would be happy you are taking it.

nervousal · 08/05/2008 13:04

when we were buying our house the selers stated explicitly that the light fitting in the dining room wasn't included - I think my exact reply to solicitor was "thank f**k"

titchy · 08/05/2008 13:13

I woldn't even mention what you are taking tbh. Once you've got a buyer who has engaged a solicitor etc they can find out then, and I can virtually guarantee no-one pulls out of buying an x hundred thousand pund house cos the vendors have decided to take their 20 quid light with them.

Carpets can be removed btw, as can kitchen units and plants from the garden. Anything can be as long as it is clear on the Fixtures and fittings form.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.