My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

The house with no cupboards

11 replies

FlyingPi · 26/02/2024 23:54

Moving to a house which, yes, has no cupboards. It has tons of space and a lot of good features, but literally not a cupboard in the place. There is a small second bathroom which I guess was probably once a hall cupboard.
So, I'm pondering ideas for storage. The bedrooms are straightforward enough, but I'd like something in the kitchen aside from the kitchen cabinets - thinking of something like a walk-in larder, except not for food but for things like cleaning supplies, electrical gadgets, spare lightbulbs, hoover, maybe the kind of generic stuff that is in the loft/utility room in my current house. There is a really big kitchen so I can carve out a space there.
Are there any off-the-shelf cupboards that would do for this, like a full-height thing with doors? Or am I better to get a joiner in to create fake walls for a little boxed in cupboard, with shelves inside? What would you even call that?
Also, any other good ideas for storage solutions in a cupboard-less flat?

OP posts:
Flubadubba · 27/02/2024 07:06

IKEA Pax might be what you are looking for here.

ThisHonestQuail · 27/02/2024 07:11

Was going to suggest IKEA Pax also.

bergentrain · 27/02/2024 07:30

Can you share a floorplan? I've lived in loads of rentals with this issue so totally understand!

FlyingPi · 27/02/2024 08:51

bergentrain · 27/02/2024 07:30

Can you share a floorplan? I've lived in loads of rentals with this issue so totally understand!

Yeah, sure - any ideas welcome! I'm thinking of the little square space next to where the shower room wall is.

The house with no cupboards
OP posts:
MaverickBoon · 27/02/2024 08:53

You can certainly get a joiner to make built-in pantry storage - lots of ideas for layout etc on Pinterest, or a good joiner who's done this kind of thing before should be able to show you photos of previous jobs for inspiration. It will absolutely be more expensive than you think though - it's quite a lot of work! (And a lot of wood to make it floor to ceiling, if it's high ceilings).

housethatbuiltme · 27/02/2024 09:50

Is that a flat? why does it need 2 bathrooms? very strange.

We looked at a house with no cupboards too (turned the under stairs into a reading nook, turned the landing cupboard into stairs up to a 3rd bedroom, turned the built on outhouse/shed into a downstairs shower room etc...) and we offered lower based on that (but where turned down). I find lack of storage off putting.

Mosaic123 · 27/02/2024 09:57

I'd call that a broom cupboard. Square off the kitchen next to the shower room by building a small room. You would need plenty of sockets and possibly a sink?

Once you decide exactly what to store there you can decide what shelves/cupboards/hooks you need. Just a simple door and partition walls could be built.

FlyingPi · 27/02/2024 10:02

housethatbuiltme · 27/02/2024 09:50

Is that a flat? why does it need 2 bathrooms? very strange.

We looked at a house with no cupboards too (turned the under stairs into a reading nook, turned the landing cupboard into stairs up to a 3rd bedroom, turned the built on outhouse/shed into a downstairs shower room etc...) and we offered lower based on that (but where turned down). I find lack of storage off putting.

It's a flat. We're buying it off people who had five kids (all crammed in) so I guess that's why they made another bathroom. We only have one child so don't really need it but don't plan to remodel right now. If I had chosen a second bathroom I'd rather it was an ensuite, but the flat has a lot of other things going for it.

OP posts:
FlyingPi · 27/02/2024 10:03

Broom cupboard! Of course, that's the word. Should have remembered Andy Crane back in the day ... 😁

OP posts:
ItRainsItPours · 27/02/2024 11:59

I think the idea of squaring off the kitchen to give a broom cupboard is a great idea. I wouldn’t bother with plugs or sink, just a light, preferably movement sensitive so it goes off on its own.
I am confused by the layout, do you have toilet, sink and shower in each room? Neither look very wide. I would much rather have a smaller master bedroom and a better sized bathroom and possibly also an en-suite. Understandable you don’t want to start knocking it all about though, just frustrating.

FlyingPi · 27/02/2024 15:34

The bathrooms are both decent sizes tbf, one has a bath with shower over it, the other has a standalone shower, both have toilets and sinks.
Yeah, given the sink in the kitchen along with the washing machine, I wouldn't bother with a separate sink but the motion lights are a good shout, thanks.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.