My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Bathroom refurbishment concealed or exposed shower?

6 replies

skuml · 26/02/2024 23:04

Hi there,
Refurbishing a bathroom and shower room ! Have to make lots of decisions in tomorrow!

• Confused should I go for exposed shower above the bath tub?? is it better to have over-head and hand-held shower in bathtub?

We always had concealed - I liked it, Our old one lasted 30+ years!!
but I now worry about quality of new concealed mixers! Will they last 10-20 years? How difficult is it to fix if there is any problem?

• for small shower room - 76x76 cm - would exposed shower work?? Its already too small space? Can anyone recommend a exposed shower that has 300 mm centre??

Any feedback will be really helpful!

@pigletjohn your opinion will be helpful !

, another question - what should the bathtub drainage slope? My plumber is saying per meter some number (i think he has raised the pipe 3-4 cm)!! Could you inform what is regulation regarding the drainage slope?

Is it not a good idea to take shower tray drainage below the concrete floor?? Plumber is raising the height of shower tray 18-20 cm and saying it will be easy to fix later on rather than digging concrete floor and make the shower tray much lower?
OP posts:
PigletJohn · 27/02/2024 10:26

Plumbing that is built into a wall causes great sadness when the wall has to be smashed open to repair or replace it.

You can run chrome pipes on the surface to an exposed shower mixer.

PigletJohn · 27/02/2024 10:27

Shower tray as well. If it is sunk into the floor it will be a terrible job.

Malbab · 27/02/2024 10:51

Don’t conceal any plumbing ; difficult to repair, and break all tiles to get in

skuml · 27/02/2024 20:27

PigletJohn · 27/02/2024 10:27

Shower tray as well. If it is sunk into the floor it will be a terrible job.

Plumber is raising the shower floor - but the total height with frame and shower tray is coming 23 cm (without tiles, tiles will be 1.5 cm) !! I feel its too high! And pushing him to lower down somehow!

He is saying he cant lower the drain pipe and total height of shower is governed by that!

OP posts:
skuml · 27/02/2024 21:06

@pigletjohn What is the rule of slope/gradient of bathtub drainage pipe?? I was reading online max 1 in 40 cm and minimum 1 in 110 cm ? Is that right??

PLumber is taking 2.5 cm for 100 cm pipe! If he can reduce it to 1 cm then our bathtub height will be perfect 55 cm!

OP posts:
PigletJohn · 27/02/2024 23:40

25mm per metre is about right. 20mm would do.

One inch per yard is also OK. Three-quarters would do.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.